996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Oil Change for $425 (Seattle Area)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 07:52 PM
ubergeek
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Oil Change for $425 (Seattle Area)

I just called Barrier Porsche asking how much they charge for 15K service and what it includes:
$425

Oil change
Filter change (if necessary)
Visual inspection of various components (leaks, brake and etc)

It sounds like lots of money for what they do. I also called an independent shop and got $365 for the same work.

Does it sound reasonable to you guys?
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:55 PM
chitownbob
Racer

I did it a month ago. Bought 0 w 40 mobile one oil from walmart and teh filter from my local dealer. For about 150 dollars you can get all the equipment you need to do it yourself inclduing wrenches, ramps, etc. there is a diy on renntech.com. I recommend doing it yourself. Its so easy and fun.,

Bobby
Old 10-12-2004, 08:16 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you think the independent shop knows what they are looking at when (if) they inspect your car? Do you know exactly what the porsche dealer is going to inspect and why, when the do a 15Kmi check? There are certain service intervals required to maintain the porsche warrantee. Better have a little longer discussion with the service manager to find out what, why and where before you decide not to let the dealer work on your car.
Yes, I can change my oil for $50 or so. But I cant maintain my warrantee on my own. And I sure dont know my way around the engine and computer system. I am deffinately going to bite the bullet and let them do their thing when scheduled services come around. After all, I knew what I was getting into when I bought a $95,000 car.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:04 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Here's the official list of what the 15,000 mile service includes. While it may be a little overpriced for what might be a fairly short job, I'm with okbarnett and prefer to make sure the warranty is valid, as well as to have a pro check the computer and the car.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2004, 11:36 PM
chitownbob
Racer

Fellas, changing your oil by yourself or having jiffy lube (not recommended cause they are stupid) do it does not void any warranties. Just make sure to make a notation in your log book and keep the reciepts. If your worried, by all means go ahead and spend the money. I change my oil every 1 year or 5K miles instead of the porsche recommended 1 year/15K miles so a $425 oil change adds up. Plus I enjoy getting a little dirt under my nails on a Saturday afternoon.

Bob
Old 10-13-2004, 02:01 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Barrier Porsche is a rip off... With sales tax, they charge $150 an hour for labor, and 40% more for parts than other dealers. Take an easy drive to Bellingham, WA Porsche 45 minutes away to save a couple hundred dollars, they charge 1/3 less... I'm saving $8,000 by purchasing my engine and having it replaced in Oregon vs Barrier in Seattle. They are a rip off plain and simple... I don't care how good their service is, their rates are ridiculous, and one thing that pisses me off more than anything, is a car dealership that overprices for their services and parts compared to most any other dealer in the country.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:15 AM
ubergeek
Instructor

i am not concerned about voiding the warranty as i dont have one :-)
I dont know about you guys but to me $400 is $400 whether it is $400 spent on 100K car or 10K car and that's why I asked the question to begin with.
Regarding the independent shop, some of those shops have the best mechanics who used to work at the porsche dealers. so if you find the reputable shop, i dont think the workmanship is an issue.
Anyways, it seems like most people are comfortable with dealers charging $425 for 15K services.. thanks for the info.
Bob, I will definitely call other dealers around. I did not know there was a dealer upin Bellingham. I will call them tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:52 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Try Tacoma as well - in the area Squire's and Chris's are the places to go or B&H. Seattle = Akers.
All are in the sponsors section http://www.pnwr.org/spiel/sponsors/
Barrier is higher priced than the independants of course, and it is $400.00 after all
Old 10-13-2004, 05:01 AM
lexpilot
Racer

My casual observation is that Seattle has the highest used car prices in the Pacific Northwest for high dollar cars. I've sold 3 LS 400's and my 993, and my Beaver motorhome into the SeaTac area. Too many decamillionaires created by Microsoft who are not careful with their money allow higher prices.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:00 AM
vove
Burning Brakes

Try to do it yourself first and learn something about the car that you love and drive.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I just had the 15K service performed on my car in NY for over $600. One of the reasons I did this is that I own my car and would like to have the records for resale value. If you lease your car, don't bother.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:56 AM
houldsworth1
Racer

Learn to do it yourself. That way you can then make the decision on whether it is worth spending the money to do something that simple.

Here is a link to how to get the job done http://www.hotrodsandclassics.net/Ho.../oilchange.htm

I usually make the decision based upon how long the job takes, how dirty I will get doing it and (frankly) whether I am in the mood.

Knowing how to do things is useful – and most tasks are easier than you would think. I have to get a septic pump replaced this weekend. It is a simple procedure but I was going to get a local company to do it as I couldn’t be bothered. I changed my mind when he wanted to charge me $1,200 to install a pump that I know takes less than 1 hour to install and only costs $280!

Barry
Old 10-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by houldsworth1
Learn to do it yourself. That way you can then make the decision on whether it is worth spending the money to do something that simple.

Here is a link to how to get the job done http://www.hotrodsandclassics.net/Ho.../oilchange.htm

I usually make the decision based upon how long the job takes, how dirty I will get doing it and (frankly) whether I am in the mood.

Knowing how to do things is useful – and most tasks are easier than you would think. I have to get a septic pump replaced this weekend. It is a simple procedure but I was going to get a local company to do it as I couldn’t be bothered. I changed my mind when he wanted to charge me $1,200 to install a pump that I know takes less than 1 hour to install and only costs $280!

Barry
I do my own work, especially since my warranty expired. I admit having the dealer do a 30k service, although I had them delete the oil change and did it myself. The value in the 30k dealer service to me was that they checked the car for EVERYTHING including any warranty issues. I had a cosmetic failure in a wood trim steering wheel which they replaced under warranty for me. If you use mobil 1 and buy a filter the oild change won't cost you more than $65.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:06 PM
Maxy
Advanced

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
Take an easy drive to Bellingham, WA Porsche 45 minutes away to save a couple hundred dollars, they charge 1/3 less...
Yes an easy drive (at just 118 mph):

12000 Bel Red Rd, Bellevue, WA 98005 US

To: Roger Jobs Motors Inc 360-734-5230
2200 Iowa St, Bellingham, WA 98229 US

Maneuvers Distance Maps
1: Start out going SOUTHWEST on BEL RED RD/NE BELLEVUE REDMOND RD toward NE 8TH ST. 0.1 miles Map

2: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto NE 8TH ST. 0.2 miles Map

3: Merge onto I-405 N. 16.1 miles Map

4: Merge onto I-5 N toward VANCOUVER B.C.. 71.4 miles Map

5: Take the IOWA ST. exit- EXIT 254- toward STATE ST.. 0.1 miles Map

6: Turn RIGHT onto IOWA ST. 0.6 miles Map

7: End at 2200 Iowa St Bellingham WA Map

Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 27 minutes Total Est. Distance: 88.69 miles
Old 10-13-2004, 05:52 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What about Speedware?

They have been good to work with on aftermarket items and tires.

Barrier has always done a great job for me. They found an RMS and IMS leak during the 15K. Kept the car an extra day fixed. At least until the next RMS leak.

I am waiting for my new engine. Porsche ran out of rebuilt so they are sending a new one from Germany.

Quick Reply: 996 Oil Change for $425 (Seattle Area)