Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Recent Skyline Drive Trip (Modem Warning)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 11:50 PM
eternal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent Skyline Drive Trip (Modem Warning)

Here are some pics of a recent skyline drive trip with a couple of buddies.

Enjoy!!!

Old 08-10-2004, 01:13 AM
walks357
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just up there on Wednesday. Unfortunately, the pollution/haze prevented looking out at the valley. However, just before exiting Skyline Drive at Thornton Gap, I saw a small black bear at the roadside. Very neat. Nice pics... your Coupe looks very much like mine.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:39 AM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice pix! Brought back memories of the time I took that drive years ago in my first Porsche.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:44 AM
parkman
Addict
Rennlist Member

GREAT PICS~~ I'm thinking about doing that drive again this fall with some buddies. Skyline drive itself is great but even better is the drive going out there on the looooooooooooooooooooooooong straightaways~
Old 08-10-2004, 09:34 AM
eternal
Advanced

Originally Posted by parkman
GREAT PICS~~ I'm thinking about doing that drive again this fall with some buddies. Skyline drive itself is great but even better is the drive going out there on the looooooooooooooooooooooooong straightaways~
Let me know when you are going up there, I might want to tag along
Old 08-10-2004, 09:55 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I live about 20 minutes from Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway and rarely go there - speed limit is too oppressive

But if you do go to the southern terminus of Skyline, you owe it to yourself to go to G&W in Waynesboro to see some ultra-rare Porsches.

Steve
99 996
76 930
64 356C
62 356B
Old 08-10-2004, 12:11 PM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice picts! I haven't been to Skyline Drive in a while. This is making me want to go soon.

I can't complain though, the same day you were out there I was at Summit Point w/the Merc Club. Only 55 cars in 4 run groups. Are any of you guys coming to VIR w/the Potomac region of the Porsche club? Trust me, it's MUCH more fun than the Skyline Drive runs. ;-)

-KJ
Old 08-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Chronos
Advanced

Talking

I'd love to come to the VIR event but was told by the PCA rep that the lower classes "fill up in seconds." Guess I'll keep a wary eye out for the next DE.

I'm working with a few friends to get a run to skyline drive scheduled too. I haven't been up there since I picked up my 996.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:48 PM
CarlosR
Instructor

Originally Posted by KJinDC
... the same day you were out there I was at Summit Point w/the Merc Club. Only 55 cars in 4 run groups. Are any of you guys coming to VIR w/the Potomac region of the Porsche club? ...
I'd love to (and had planned to), but damn if the track didn't go and pass a rule requiring all cabs to have roll bars this year! I always run with the hardtop on, and with the integral pop-up bars, I felt I was decently protected already. This smacks of overkill to me... It's too bad, because I've run my 996 cab down there several times before, and really enjoyed it!

=Carlos=

P.S. I fly out of Front Royal, the northern end of the Skyline Drive. When you want to drive it is in the fall, then it is just spectacular! (but pick a weekday -- the weekends are jammed)
Old 08-24-2004, 02:51 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 817 Likes on 453 Posts

WOW...those pics were great. Makes me wanna joint the PCA club in the local area. Am a new Pcar owner just returned stateside from deployed overseas with the US military. Any idea of how to get in touch with other drivers in the local area and PCA?

Thanks
Rob
------
MY99 996 C2 *Mine*
MY01 BMW 325xi *Mine*
MY04 ML350 SUV *wifey's*
5 y/o son and 3 y/o daughter *OURZ*
Old 08-26-2004, 02:54 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
WOW...those pics were great. Makes me wanna joint the PCA club in the local area. Am a new Pcar owner just returned stateside from deployed overseas with the US military. Any idea of how to get in touch with other drivers in the local area and PCA?
Rob, the local chapter of the PCA is the Potomac Founders' Region. You can sign-up online. I actually just joined last month after I met a couple of the guys at the Deutsche Marques Concours at TPC at Avanel. They're having another concours at the Reston Town Center this Saturday, August 28. It would be a good chance to see some really nice 356s.

-Gary
Old 08-26-2004, 03:02 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Skyline Drive is great especially in the fall. I take drives out there every year to watch the leaves turn. I just joined PCA Potomac so I don't know if you guys organize trips out there. Please e-mail me next time you guys take a trip so I can tag along.

-Gary

Old 08-26-2004, 08:17 AM
eternal
Advanced

Originally Posted by programmatore
Skyline Drive is great especially in the fall. I take drives out there every year to watch the leaves turn. I just joined PCA Potomac so I don't know if you guys organize trips out there. Please e-mail me next time you guys take a trip so I can tag along.

-Gary
Will do. We are planning another trip once the leaves start turning
Old 08-26-2004, 11:02 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They make you put all of those silly stickers at the bottom of the windscreen?
That sucks!
Old 08-26-2004, 03:40 PM
eternal
Advanced

Yeah state inspection and county sticker...

Quick Reply: Recent Skyline Drive Trip (Modem Warning)