Mounting 4-Point Harness..help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 12:41 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting 4-Point Harness..help

after waiting more than 3 months for my sparco harness bars, i found a porsche owner selling his brey-kraus "harness guide". i was all excited. until i read on the bk website that these are meant as guide bars and belts should not be mounted directly to them.

this perplexed me as the yare almost identical in design to the sparco setup but they are telling me not to mount them directly to the bar? i thought this was the point of the bar.

if not..how do i properly mount/install a 4pt harness in a 996?

just so you guys can take a look, here is the sparco bar:

Sparco Bar (See How The belts are looped around the bar in the pic)

and the brey krauss:

Brey Krauss Bar..not shown are 2 additional little pillars that connect the bar 2 the floor just like the sparco setup

your input please, i need an answer asap because i don't want to leave the seller hanging.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

The BK R-1010 is NOT a harness bar. You can't attach your shoulder belts to it because it's not mounted strongly. If you have a 996 coupe then the Brey-Krause product to use would be the R-1030 (which I have) or the R-1035. Also, you might want to do a seach on these forums for 6pt installation discussions. If you're going to track your car (not autocross only) then you don't want to use a 4pt harness; you must use a 6pt (maybe 5pt.) and have the belts mounted and routed properly. Otherwise you will do yourself great harm in a crash.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:12 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO you are better off with your stock 3 point belts than with 4 point harnesses.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kerry
Also, you might want to do a seach on these forums for 6pt installation discussions. If you're going to track your car (not autocross only) then you don't want to use a 4pt harness; you must use a 6pt (maybe 5pt.) and have the belts mounted and routed properly. Otherwise you will do yourself great harm in a crash.
where does the anti-sub belt mount to in the car? (or does it mount to another piece of equipment that needs to be purchased separatly..in any case i plan to have a qualified person install the belts )
Old 07-27-2004, 08:24 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
where does the anti-sub belt mount to in the car? (or does it mount to another piece of equipment that needs to be purchased separatly..in any case i plan to have a qualified person install the belts )
If you have GT3 seats, you have to purchase the sub belt bar, and the sub-belts goes though a hole in the seat.

If you have the stock seats, the best compromise for the 6 point harness is to mount the twin sub-belts to the same points as the lap belts. You will sit on the sub-belts as they go under your thigh/buttocks and up the crotch. Not as good as having the GT3 seats, but less room for cushion compression leading to malfunction in a crash compared to other compromise set-ups. BK sells the mounts, tunnel side and door side. The Schroth 6 point is reportedly the most comfortable with this approach, so that's what I've got.

Bottom line, it's still a compromise. I've quit using the straps and harness bar, and have gone back to just using the stock 3 points. I now use the harness bar as a very expensive camera mount. One of these days, I'll probably get a roll bar and GT3 seats, then I'll use the 6 point harness.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:57 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

i'm got a set of sparco's with a hole infront of the crotch for the sub belts..is there any special reqirement to install to match these seats?
Old 07-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

hey, doesn't porsche make a harnessbar/rollbar combo that lets you mount the belts directly to the bar?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

The Schroth belts came with very specific instructions. I've researched with GT3 seats, so don't know too much about Sparcos. You may want to post to the DE board, as I'm sure there are a lot of experienced Sparco people in there.

Tequipment roll bar is what Porsche sells. It's usually a permanent thing, and say goodbye to the rear seats. I'm not quite ready to do that yet.

Quick Reply: Mounting 4-Point Harness..help