Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Has anybody used UV Dye to find leak on coolant? Is it safe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 10:43 AM
nemex12
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anybody used UV Dye to find leak on coolant? Is it safe?

Hallo guys.
I wanted to know if somebody has experience with this and if it is safe. Also if they ourgued the coolant afterwards or kept it.
Thanks a lot.
Old 08-29-2024, 11:13 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,187 Likes on 759 Posts

Used UV dye on our Mini to find a pesky leak. Got leak fixed, drained all coolant and replaced new coolant and distilled water. The UV dye is kind of a mess, but it works.
The following users liked this post:
nemex12 (Yesterday)
Old 08-30-2024, 02:47 PM
2002C2
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Aren’t most coolants already fluorescent? Thought they were.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2002C2:
hardtailer (Yesterday), nemex12 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM
nemex12
Track Day

Originally Posted by 2002C2
Aren’t most coolants already fluorescent? Thought they were.
I have heard that. I will try tonight to check if I can see it glow with a UV light I have. I may save a couple of bucks if it is. Also I don´t know if the water mixture makes it lose fluorescence because I have topped it up with distilled water :/
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM
allcool
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by nemex12
Hallo guys.
I wanted to know if somebody has experience with this and if it is safe. Also if they ourgued the coolant afterwards or kept it.
Thanks a lot.
How much are you leaking, is there a puddle on the floor..? Any intermix..? Does the oil dipstick look like a tan milkshake..? Any tell tale stains on bottom/front of engine..?

Pressure test should show the leak unless its internal in engine/oil cooler/aos/heater core. Can you keep a constant 18psi pressure test on the cooling system. How fast does it lose pressure..? If keeping a constant low pressure on system, should show a drip somewhere... eventually..?

Leak dye will only work if you can see the leak and its dripping out the dye. Most of the time if you can see the dye you could see the colored coolant. Dye is last resort, if at all,,, imo.

Last edited by allcool; Yesterday at 12:59 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
Frywalker
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by nemex12
Hallo guys.
Thanks a lot.
Yep, safe to use to find a leak. I'm sure there are brands that you could leave in forever, and many will probably say that. But personally I would flush and replace after finding the leak.

Its like all the snake oil engine detergent additives and fuel additives etc that say they are good for your engine and should be added to every fuel up/oil change, when they definitely arent and shouldnt be.

Quick Reply: Has anybody used UV Dye to find leak on coolant? Is it safe?