996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

To be or 996 to be

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2024, 03:29 AM
Ptaha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I’m aiming to turn this into the perfect weekend car—a fun, drivable experience that I can truly enjoy. I want to take my time and do it right. This will be my fourth car. I already have a 1989 E30 manual convertible 320i (that I absolutely love) I bought from someone who imported from Germany into Canada some time ago. I bought it from the original owner and invested over $15K into it, upgrading everything from suspension and exhaust to electrical systems. It was an amazing project that I really enjoyed. I didn’t do anything myself. I also own a Model 3 Performance (a purchase made under the influence during the pandemic) and a family Toyota Sienna Hybrid.

I don’t dislike money, but I’m also willing to spend it wisely and take the proper steps. My goal is to have a car that I can drive worry-free. I actually want to overhaul everything. In my opinion, any 996 or 997 will likely require an engine rebuild. Personally, I really like the 996, and it’s a project I’m willing to invest in.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ptaha:
GC996 (08-28-2024), SealG996 (08-28-2024), SlakkerRacingDev (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 04:59 AM
SealG996
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

I would seriously consider Slakkers offer to build your engine. Going cheap on an M96 engine build can mean paying twice. Outside of the Hartech methods used by Slakker I would build it only with LN engineering Nickies, I went with thier Nickies, deluxe kit and IMS Solution. Etc etc. A long slow engine build the right way beats a fast disaster and paying twice. Glad you love building cars. Love a 996 and it will love you back.
The following 4 users liked this post by SealG996:
allcool (08-28-2024), GC996 (08-28-2024), Marv (08-28-2024), SlakkerRacingDev (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 07:49 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Ptaha
I’m aiming to turn this into the perfect weekend car—a fun, drivable experience that I can truly enjoy. I want to take my time and do it right. This will be my fourth car. I already have a 1989 E30 manual convertible 320i (that I absolutely love) I bought from someone who imported from Germany into Canada some time ago. I bought it from the original owner and invested over $15K into it, upgrading everything from suspension and exhaust to electrical systems. It was an amazing project that I really enjoyed. I didn’t do anything myself. I also own a Model 3 Performance (a purchase made under the influence during the pandemic) and a family Toyota Sienna Hybrid.

I don’t dislike money, but I’m also willing to spend it wisely and take the proper steps. My goal is to have a car that I can drive worry-free. I actually want to overhaul everything. In my opinion, any 996 or 997 will likely require an engine rebuild. Personally, I really like the 996, and it’s a project I’m willing to invest in.
Loved my 320i BMWs. Fun and agile. 996 is a large step up. Good luck with the project.
Old 08-28-2024, 08:45 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,970 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Seems like you know the routine and your eyes are wide open. Enjoy building it. Keep us posted. We love this stuff and will help with questions.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have had my 996 for 22 years and am looking forward to the next 22 years with it on the street, track, long distance trips, etc. It can handle it all.

Key is to make sure you run the best parts, keep them fresh, service the hell out of it and make sure you run high quality oil and change it often.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:35 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 695 Posts

It's possible that you can achieve your goals with this car, assuming the body is straight. Be prepared to spend more than the resulting car will be worth however.

Ignoring the engine for a moment: full suspension refresh will be needed to restore the handling qualities; exterior appears to have suffered abuse from amateurs; outward appearance also suggests deferred maintenance, so assume there are a dozen or so nickel-dimey things, such as windows that don't work correctly and so on, that will add up to serious coin. Plus given the boy-racer makeover it is possible that the transmission has been savaged.

Now to the engine. A factory shortblock will save quite a few dollars compared with a proper rebuild -- and you don't want to make any other choice than one of those two. A proper rebuild will include the option of a substantial horsepower and torque boost, but you'll pay for it. Either choice will come with ~$10K worth of while-you-are-in-there foo.

Congrats on the car. Start a thread!
Old 08-30-2024, 01:42 AM
Ptaha
Rennlist Member

Picked up the car—thanks a lot, gentlemen, for all the advice! The interior is in great shape, I'd rate it a solid 8/10. The exterior isn't bad either, probably around a 7/10.

Someone put in a real effort to make it look like a GT3 🤦‍♂️

Absolutely loved driving it, but it only came with one key. It has an aftermarket Japanese radio that's completely unreadable.

The engine sounds rough at low RPMs, almost like it's on its last legs, but it smooths out at higher RPMs. Makes me wonder how much life it has left.

Overall, I'm excited! All the windows work, but the key doesn’t lock the car with the button

Last edited by Ptaha; 08-30-2024 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-30-2024, 01:48 AM
Ptaha
Rennlist Member

Ended up paying $6666 usd
Old 08-30-2024, 02:29 AM
996love
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

interesting price
The following users liked this post:
wdb (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 02:43 AM
03pcoupe
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats and excited to read more about the car and your projects!
Old 08-30-2024, 07:18 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,970 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Congrats! Fingers crossed that the suspension and exhaust system are in great shape. It will further save you some money near term.
Old 08-30-2024, 07:20 AM
isalos
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

well done. enjoy it. start with the basics, change the key battery....
Old 08-30-2024, 02:54 PM
circuit.heart
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 141 Posts

Ended up paying $6666 usd
That means Rocket Bunny widebody kit next, right?
Ptaha (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM
Ptaha
Rennlist Member

some pictures… the foam in the air vents is serious. Is it safe to breathe that? The air conditioner blows cold.
Old Yesterday, 02:48 AM
Ptaha
Rennlist Member

Brand new tires and rotors as well as fuel pump and break pads. Balanced wheels too.
Old Yesterday, 03:02 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,676 Likes on 2,121 Posts

A bad bore-scored engine and you are worried about "foam in the vents" ??? ....Hmmm......you are trolling right ??

Edit :: PS : The car looks good for a $7k project car ( for a DIY'er) .......

Last edited by Porschetech3; Yesterday at 03:05 AM.
Major Dash (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: To be or 996 to be