Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What is the consensus around here for lowering springs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 12:19 PM
ArthurK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's really strange because I called Bilstein US when I was tossing up which way to go and they recommened the PSS9 setup because I could make the car as soft as the stock setup and would have no issues at all.

Personally I think it comes down to the settings you choose on the system. I have heard of people installing this kit on cabs and running it near the hardest setting without any problems. I personally run it with a 3/4 config and find it not to be an issue at all. The car makes no extra noise or squeeks that it never made before. If anything I think it is quieter now.

Tough call when you get so much conflicting advice I know I had that too especially when Bilstein US told me that their kit was different from the Euro kit. But it wasnt from an installation point of view more to do with warranty. Lifetime from US not from Euro.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Gunther Levy
8th Gear

Originally posted by deputydog95
I talked with bilstein US today. .
You probably talked to the receptionist.-
Do you really think that the PSS-9 kit that is sold in Europe is inferior to the US kit ? I don't think so.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:27 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Pete,

I drove my car with its stock suspension approximately 5k miles and participated in 2 DE's and 1 autocross before deciding to change over to PSS9's. I spoke to as many local 996 owners and to the owner of a very well respected local Porsche only shop before making my decision.

I misspoke when I said the ride is softer. The ride is more comfortable and firmer. Bumps are more muted and better absorbed but still felt. The PSS9's give it a more solid feeling.

I had the car's allignment and suspension set up to optimize track and day to day handling. It's definately a compromise but I very happy with the results. We just finished a weekend at Laguna Seca and I had a blast. I've got 7100 miles on the original Rosso's and the front and rears are wearing at similar rates. They will be down to the wear markers at the end of this month.

I can't comment on cabriolets and the issues they may have with lowered suspensions. There are quite a few people on this forum who have lowered their cabs with various systems so it should not be a problem getting their comments.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:49 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not gonna get another argument going here, but yes the euro pss's are different.... look at some of the previous threads on the pss kits and the initial problems with them... This wasn't some joker i met on the street giving his opinion. This was the rep for Bilstein. I would have thought this thread would have a little more credibility since I posted where I got the info from.

And no, I didn't talk to the receptionist. I talked to Scott in the tech department at US Bilstein East. I would be happy to provide his phone number if you think he is making this stuff up. You can talk to him personally if you think I'm full of ****. Why do you guys have to be such smart asses on this forum sometimes?

He went into great detail about the differences in the ones Gert sells and the ones sold in the US. They are changed over to US specs. Again...I'm no porsche suspension expert, but he did mention changing the spings and perches and some other stuff I can't remember. He said something about clearance issues in the front, etc.

That probably explains why the prices are so much more in the states for the same, sort of, kit.

As a matter of fact, here's his phone number. He is familiar with Gert and Carnewal. We got onto the discussion of the differences between the euro's and the US versions when I mentioned that Gert had them priced at around $1900. Call him if you think I'm lying.

EAST: 1-704-663-7563
Old 07-03-2004, 06:51 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Apex:
I think the cab issue relates more the PSS's that other systems. Bilstein said that their spring rates are much much higher than what most other systems are using. He could not comment if other systems were safer for the cab. Brandywine echoed the same comments about chassis flex and the cabs.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Radar
Instructor

Originally posted by deputydog95
I'm not gonna get another argument going here, but yes the euro pss's are different.... look at some of the previous threads on the pss kits and the initial problems with them... This wasn't some joker i met on the street giving his opinion. This was the rep for Bilstein. I would have thought this thread would have a little more credibility since I posted where I got the info from.

And no, I didn't talk to the receptionist. I talked to Scott in the tech department at US Bilstein East. I would be happy to provide his phone number if you think he is making this stuff up. You can talk to him personally if you think I'm full of ****. Why do you guys have to be such smart asses on this forum sometimes?

He went into great detail about the differences in the ones Gert sells and the ones sold in the US. They are changed over to US specs. Again...I'm no porsche suspension expert, but he did mention changing the spings and perches and some other stuff I can't remember. He said something about clearance issues in the front, etc.
Personally, I don't care where you buy your suspension parts from. But, do you really believe everything you hear? Even Porsche misinforms us every once in a while. At least, they don't do it intentionally. That is the biggest hogwash I've ever heard about clearance issues. Why would there be a clearance issue on a US car when a PSS-9 purchased from the ROW is installed? The cars are identical when it comes to chassis and suspension parts.

Look, the only reason Bilstein in the US is feeding you this B.S. is because some of their dealers complained about outside sources underselling the same products. Plain and simple. Now, go ahead and buy from whomever you wish.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:27 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

check out this portion of the thread. 20c4s is a trusted california porsche tuner. i don't know what the difference is between the euro and us cars. maybe it's left vs right hand drives. who knows? go easy. i'm just the messenger. if you think it's such BS and you're so sure of yourself, why don't you call him and tell him he's full of ****

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...y&pagenumber=8
Old 07-04-2004, 12:03 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I would get the US spec PSS9s for the lifetime warranty alone, seems like a no-brainer to me , unless I'm missing something.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:12 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, this thread is making it very hard to decide between PSS9 or just going with ROW springs (which is what I did on my Boxster S and loved the setup).

ARGH...
Old 07-04-2004, 10:03 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tresspassing on the board and read thru this thread.....had to chime in, albeit briefly.

DeputyDog........not sure if a factory product has value to you, but if so, do yourself a favor and get the RoW M030 and keep your stock shocks.

You'll get the drop you're looking for and if you need to swap out the shocks due to premature wear (commonplace with the 993s) you can always do so later.

A complete R&R, IMO, is the better way to go (RoW/Bilstein HD) but if you're trying to save a couple of bucks and are more concerned with aesthetics......you'll get what you need.

I agree with you...the PSS setup is truly $$$$ overkill for Florida roads. Especially with NO track time.

Not sure where you are in FL...but bank the savings and go have a blast on 5th Ave in Naples for a weekend !!!!

Old 07-05-2004, 12:52 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

wow, this thread really has gotten.... interesting...

so there's a lot of people on here that recommend NOT changing just the springs, but you're all talking from experience with other cars and/or springs. well, i seem to be the only person here that has put H&R springs on a 996 WITHOUT changing the shocks. so i can give a VERY educated opinion on this for a C4. a C2 and turbo use different springs and shocks so i can't comment on those, but i bet a C2 will handle similarly with just the H&R springs. so anybody that replies remember that i'm talking ONLY about a 996 C4, and supposing that similar results can be had in a C2.

so, my verdict is:
THERE'S VERY LITTLE DIFFERENCE!!! whatever anybody says, i've experienced this setup for thousands and thousands of miles of VERY spirited driving. i'm a young guy and i drive my porsche HARD. VERY hard. the positives:

less body roll
lower ride height looks better

the negatives:
lower ride height is easier to hit your nose on parking lot entrances etc.
the little wind deflectors in front of the front tires occassionally scrape the pavement on BIG bumps

now, as for the increased risk of bottoming: i have NOT been able to confirm this. i live in boston, which has some of the worst roads you'll ever see, and i can't say that i've EVER hit my bump stops on a big bump.

as for a bouncy feel: there MAY be a slightly bouncier feel given to the car. however, i'm not really sure, i may just be inserting this feeling since everybody says the car should feel bouncier. others that have ridden with me (and driven the car) before and after the change said it feels just like stock. they can't really tell the difference.

as for it being stiffer, see above. it isn't any stiffer than stock.

now, as for the shocks: i called bilstein when i was making the change and the sport shocks are the ones meant for shorter springs. However, these shocks have the same valve rate as stock so you end up with a stock-feeling ride on a lowered car. the reason people go with the HD shocks is that they provide the stiffer-feeling ride that people who swap the springs are usually looking for. the HD shocks are in fact meant for stock springs.

any questions?
Old 07-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After reading all of this I'd say if your a track junkie who likes to tinker then go with the PSS9... ROW M030 seems like an install and forget feature which is very attractive cause if the suspension doesn't go in right your gonna feel something is wrong when driving beyond 7/10th's and then something can go very wrong!! -> these are the times you need your suspension to work as it was engineered to work.

ROW seems like a no brainer... doesn't provide as much drop as the X74 but still makes the car look better than stock..

is there an X74 kit for pre 2002 carrera's?

Pete
Old 07-05-2004, 11:26 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone try KW coilovers?
Old 07-09-2004, 04:58 AM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, I disappear for 10 days on a business trip to find quite a few responses. Thanks for all the input.

I just got back from my first drive in my 40th Ann 911...and as you can imagine, I can't wait to hammer her.

I will most likely go with the RoW option as I very pleased with this upgrade on my 030 Box S. Slightly lower, better compliance without loss of grip, and cheap!

Thanks again.

Elton
Old 07-09-2004, 11:56 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

I concluded the same thing for my 40th; I also was very happy with it on my former Boxster S for both street and serious track; it is a good compromise, yet a better one that the US sport suspension).

My ROW030 is on its way

Quick Reply: What is the consensus around here for lowering springs...