996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New clutch with failed RMS??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 11:04 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New clutch with failed RMS??????

I just got a new clutch put in about two months ago. On the advice of the service rep., they replaced the RMS even though I was certain at the time it wasn't leaking. Two weeks later I smell oil but didn't really think anything of it. However The clutch showed noticable wear, i.e. stiffness and higher engagement. I called and complained about the clutch only. They put it up on a rack to bleed the clutch and noticed the oil. Sure enough RMS. I get it back with the guarantee that it will be like new. Guess what? right before I leave the lot, the pedal is squeeking like crazy and is engaging not smoothly at all. I tell him and it goes back in and gets greased or whatever. Then I leave and the pedal is smooth. However it is apparent that it does take more effort even though the engagement is better and the engagement point is higher than it was when I first got it back? WTF!!! I call my service rep. and have to leave a message I have done this twice now and have not been called back. Any thoughts. And of course they didn't replace the clutch when they did the rms. He said that in now way could the oil leak get on the clutch. Ideas??? I drive the car normally and don't rip on it at all. I am pretty annoyed right now. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:01 AM
Peter B
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I saw of my car when it was stripped down for the RMS/Clutch it was clear that the oil thrown from the seal was around the back of the DMF and over the bell housing and clutch throw-out arm. The clutch plate (after 48K) was a little worn but not 100% goosed. The stiffness in the clutch release mechanism was caused by clutch dust and the oil from the RMS leak combining into a thick goo. After it was all cleaned down the pedal was considerably lighter (almost a light as a normal car) but when I remarked upon this was told that the newer clutch covers were lighter to operate. Does that help? Sorry to mention *** again, just as it was looking like a whole page of Forum without the dreaded *** word!
Old 07-09-2004, 07:52 AM
JOL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my RMS replaced at 3k miles and at 6k miles my clutch now engages near the top of the stroke also. Although it shows no sign of slipping, my service rep says that the clutch may have been contaminated with oil from the leaking RMS. I don't abuse the car, and in fact I have never had to replace a clutch in any of the 4 standard shift cars that I have owned in the past (most had well over 70k miles on them).

I'm bringing the car in next week for a look see, I'll let you know what they have to say afterwards.

'03 996 4s
Old 07-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

The smell of the clutch burning even with oil contamination is noticably different to oil burning. It's almost like the smell of burnt brake pads.
Also, even if only a small amount of oil gets on the clutch plate it will likely slip or judder. The fact that they replaced the RMS when you had your clutch done may have simply been preventative maintenance especially if you had the old seal type. If that was the case then this is more evidence that the dealership is becoming more and more concerned about the RMS issue: car's in for a clutch so might as well do the RMS at the same time.

It is possible that the DMF was contaminated but this rarely has to be replaced.....and its an expensive item (£1000). Typically it would be cleaned up and put back.

Since your clutch was the original culprit (meaning the clutch plate had all but worn away) it is possible that enough of the clutch dust could have buillt up with oil contamination from a leaking RMS. The dust could saok up the oil in the bell housing and thus stop it from showing up as a leak that you would see externally. That might be the reason why you felt certain the RMS wasn't leaking.

I don't know where he gets the notion that oil leaking from the RMS "can't" get on to the clutch. That's total BS.

------
Peter, I still got your Rejex here mate. Called in the other day but you were not in.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They did my clutch when they replaced my RMS - under warranty.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:02 PM
SPR
Drifting

Cool thanks for the input I thought as much. I have just gotten another referal from another dealership whom might be able to accomodate me better. I have called my service rep. twice already to no avail. and wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt but it seems I will have to call this other person whom my friend has used etc.

Quick Reply: New clutch with failed RMS??????