996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Console delete kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024 | 05:19 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by circuit.heart
I know I have an obvious conflict of interest here, but there's a reason why those are cheap. The real GT3 console delete has some really nice subtleties like double radiuses, recesses and alignment tabs that aren't implemented in the free file. The most obvious difference is that the filler piece in front of the shifter is supposed to be a curved trapezoid - not a flat rectangle. I spent quite a few hours looking at and replicating these features and it's not trivial to get it to look OEM.

Excellent work. All credit to you.
Old 08-04-2024 | 12:20 PM
diddy2003
Rennlist Member

I know I have an obvious conflict of interest here, but there's a reason why those are cheap. The real GT3 console delete has some really nice subtleties like double radiuses, recesses and alignment tabs that aren't implemented in the free file. The most obvious difference is that the filler piece in front of the shifter is supposed to be a curved trapezoid - not a flat rectangle. I spent quite a few hours looking at and replicating these features and it's not trivial to get it to look OEM.

If it doesn't bother you (the piece is mostly out of sight, this is true) then by all means, free file + DIY carpet and you're good to go. Just know that this approach isn't without compromises.
Agreed. I lucked out and got a used OEM version. The prices on everything have gone crazy. The little plastic splitter on my front bumper went from 140 bucks to nearly 700 bucks I think. Pretty wild. Personally, if I was buying today, I might try the ebay version just to save 700 bucks. Either way, I think the console delete made things way better in the passenger compartment. It allowed for way more leg space.

Old 08-04-2024 | 12:22 PM
maverick302
AutoX

If it doesn't bother you (the piece is mostly out of sight, this is true) then by all means, free file + DIY carpet and you're good to go. Just know that this approach isn't without compromises.
Looks amazing! Awesome work
Old 08-05-2024 | 03:31 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

I know someone selling an OEM one, used. send me a message and I will try and connect you
Old 08-06-2024 | 03:16 PM
maverick302
AutoX

Originally Posted by 2mAn
I know someone selling an OEM one, used. send me a message and I will try and connect you
Couple days earlier and I probably would have jumped on that...
Old 08-06-2024 | 03:29 PM
maverick302
AutoX

The kit showed up today. It's certainly 3D printed - I was worried about breaking it but I guess that's just my perception as it seems pretty rigid. It installed with a snug click on the back end, and through the front mounting holes using the original nuts from the removed bracketry. The shifter cover also snaps into place. The leather was a nice touch - it matches the side panels exactly but it is a little different than the shift boot leather if you look close. Everything matches well enough that it looks factory. Overall I'm quite happy with it, it's definitely a much nicer look than the console and I'm happy to have the extra leg room.

I could not for the life of me get a good picture of it in the car, but here are some shots before I installed it:

Last edited by maverick302; 08-06-2024 at 03:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by maverick302:
2mAn (08-06-2024), Khodey (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024 | 03:49 PM
Khodey
Track Day

Originally Posted by maverick302
The kit showed up today. It's certainly 3D printed - I was worried about breaking it but I guess that's just my perception as it seems pretty rigid. It installed with a snug click on the back end, and through the front mounting holes using the original nuts from the removed bracketry. The shifter cover also snaps into place. The leather was a nice touch - it matches the side panels exactly but it is a little different than the shift boot leather if you look close. Everything matches well enough that it looks factory. Overall I'm quite happy with it, it's definitely a much nicer look than the console and I'm happy to have the extra leg room.

I could not for the life of me get a good picture of it in the car, but here are some shots before I installed it:
Thanks for the update. Although any pictures of it installed would be great.
Old 08-06-2024 | 04:09 PM
Outatimemk
Instructor

So was this the eBay one that was linked earlier?

Quick Reply: Console delete kit?