996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

To Repaint? To Polish? Or to Wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 07:26 PM
Eric Black
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default To Repaint? To Polish? Or to Wrap?

As the title says. That is the question. I have a Black 996 Coupe w/ Aerokit (non factory XAA), and the paint is in pretty bad condition. tons of swirls/scratches. ive gotten it polished once before when i first purchased about 2 years ago. but the swirls are coming back to life.

I've been debating if i should repaint it, or wrap it. i dont expect to sell the car to make a profit of any kind. or even get my money back. What does an outsider think of these options?

Old 06-24-2024, 08:14 PM
Patunia
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Black
As the title says. That is the question. I have a Black 996 Coupe w/ Aerokit (non factory XAA), and the paint is in pretty bad condition. tons of swirls/scratches. ive gotten it polished once before when i first purchased about 2 years ago. but the swirls are coming back to life.

I've been debating if i should repaint it, or wrap it. i dont expect to sell the car to make a profit of any kind. or even get my money back. What does an outsider think of these options?
Depends on the amount of money you are willing to spend. I was thinking about a flat dark green wrap non aero 996.1,,,, $$$ was 4-5.5k depending on the vinyl.
Suburban shop outside Chicago. Not sure what geo location has on price, I decided that I’ll pass.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:39 PM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

How much do you drive it? Keep it stored indoors? I have a wrap on my truck (Ram 2500)and it sits outside full time. The wrap is 4 years old and starting to fade some (I did a black/white/gray cammo design). I wash it 3x a year at most. I probably should have waxed it to make it last longer. If your car is kept indoors and used as weekend warrior, I'd wrap it. It will last 6+ years easily IMO. Find a cool color and a reputable shop and do it Probably around $5-6k.
Another option? Get it paint correction/buffed if the paint is not that bad and have it ceramic coated. I did that on my black 996 and it's worked out well.
Re-paint is nice, but spendy to have it done right.
Old 06-24-2024, 09:16 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 113 Posts

This was less than $3k installed. Shop around

The following users liked this post:
996love (06-25-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 09:44 AM
dsbl
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 59 Posts

See if there's a good liquid wrap shop in your area, and if so what they're pricing it at compared to vinyl.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:12 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts

I vote no on wraps. I'd never wrap a car. Wrapping always makes a car look "cheap", in my humble opinion. No offense to those with wraps. I'm just offering my view on the matter.

I've seen in-person dozens (if not over a hundred) mid to high-end cars that have been wrapped either in car shows, meetups, or even dealer lots where I was considering purchasing one (I've never made an offer on a car with a wrap).

Maybe you haven't found the right detailer.

I've seen detailers work wonders on cars (via YouTube). Check out https://www.youtube.com/@AMMO-NYC/videos to see what's possible.

Further, these cars are 20-25 years old. It's OK for them to have blemishes and even patina. If you have a badass car that's restored to full working order with tasteful mods, the aged paint is sorta like a greying hair on a good looking middle-aged person (man or woman). To extend the analogy, the wrap is "trying to look younger than I am, and it's obvious". Wraps look great in pics, but you can always tell in person (just like with people who are trying to look younger).

My suggestion (since you are open to them):

- Fully restore the car to working order.
- Catch up on all maintenance.
- Restore all of the leather.
- Get great tires.
- Restore the wheels.
- Spend a grand or two having a pro do their best with the paint (with the understanding that it'll never be perfect...and that's OK).
- Fix everything that's broken. Every switch, button, etc...

Once you've done all of that, proceed to tasteful mods:

- Replace old speakers. Maybe install a modern head unit with BT audio.
- Maybe lower it a bit (sport springs or coilovers).
- Wheel spacers.

Then enjoy the hell out of it along the way.

Oh, and I forgot to ask, care to post a few pics of the car in its current state?
sheatley (07-01-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 10:17 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,914 Likes on 2,231 Posts

Yeah, unless the paint is not correctable and you can't live with it, I would correct it and ceramic coat it. But it's tough to tell without any pictures.
cqhall (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 12:50 PM
Arcticfox996!
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I just repainted my car and it already has chips in it. I am thinking if I will have Arctic Silver forever, I am considering to wrap it (either solid color or livery) so i can enjoy a new color or style for a few years (while also protecting the paint), then coming back when i have to remove the wrap. Give you some flexibility =)
The following 2 users liked this post by Arcticfox996!:
Flyfishnick (06-26-2024), sheatley (07-01-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 01:17 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcticfox996!

I just repainted my car and it already has chips in it. I am thinking if I will have Arctic Silver forever, I am considering to wrap it (either solid color or livery) so i can enjoy a new color or style for a few years (while also protecting the paint), then coming back when i have to remove the wrap. Give you some flexibility =)
Man, chips are part of car ownership and signify that the owner has enjoyed the car. Let's not worship or baby these machines. Let's drive the hell out of them!

I don't buy the whole, "Wraps protect the paint!", thing that the wrap sellers say. Who are you saving the paint for, the next owner?

Wraps will never be better than high quality paint, proper polishing, and coating (wax and/or ceramic). Great in pics, yes. In person, no. Same goes for PPF over great paint.

Your car looks great. Enjoy it!
The following 2 users liked this post by cqhall:
Arcticfox996! (06-26-2024), beermanpete (06-27-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 02:46 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Black

I guess the first thing to do would be to examine your wash/polish routine. If the swirls were truly removed in the prior polish (versus filled in with polish, though that's difficult anyway, particularly on black), then they shouldn't come back if you are very careful in your wash/polish routine (a necessity for a black car because it reveals everything). I'd first answer how the swirls got there, then think about options. If the swirls were preventable, then another polish and more careful maintenance would be the most cost-effective option by a wide margin.
The following 2 users liked this post by peterp:
islaTurbine (06-27-2024), TheChunkNorris (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 03:52 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
I guess the first thing to do would be to examine your wash/polish routine. If the swirls were truly removed in the prior polish (versus filled in with polish, though that's difficult anyway, particularly on black), then they shouldn't come back if you are very careful in your wash/polish routine (a necessity for a black car because it reveals everything). I'd first answer how the swirls got there, then think about options. If the swirls were preventable, then another polish and more careful maintenance would be the most cost-effective option by a wide margin.
I agree with Pete here. If polished and the swirls came back, you’ll need to examine why. If you wrap the car and you still have the same practices, the vinyl will swirl as well. The only thing to consider is paint thickness after two polishing sessions so you might be limited in how aggressive you can go.
peterp (06-26-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 07:01 AM
circuit.heart
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 140 Posts

Vinyl wrap is a low-investment low-return solution, even the best stuff only lasts 3-5 years in regular direct sunlight. Clearcoat fails over time but you can polish it out and slap layers on layers of coatings on top of it to basically replace clearcoat with a sacrificial, UV-protectant clear layer on top of the clear. Coatings basically come in two strategies, either "as hard as possible" (typical Ceramic Pro and competitors) for scratch resistance or "as thick as possible" (Ikon Rocklear, "liquid PPF") for impact/chip resistance. Which one works better for you depends on what you're driving through daily and how often/how you wash the car. I slapped two thick layers of Rocklear on mine, if I did a few more it would basically be as thick as PPF. It fills in scratches in the original clearcoat, and we basically polish the crap out of my car the day before any scheduled show.
cqhall (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 08:56 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
This ^
Sounds like who ever did the paintwork rectification last time didn’t use an aggressive enough compound, and rather than using the necessary coarse compound and subsequently finer compounds, used a finer compound with lots of fillers in it, which as the name suggests, fills the scratches.
Subsequent washing detailing removes the filler/polishing compound and reveals the old scratches.

Find a good detailer and seek their advice before respraying or wrapping the car.
peterp (06-28-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 02:25 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by circuit.heart
Vinyl wrap is a low-investment low-return solution, even the best stuff only lasts 3-5 years in regular direct sunlight. Clearcoat fails over time but you can polish it out and slap layers on layers of coatings on top of it to basically replace clearcoat with a sacrificial, UV-protectant clear layer on top of the clear. Coatings basically come in two strategies, either "as hard as possible" (typical Ceramic Pro and competitors) for scratch resistance or "as thick as possible" (Ikon Rocklear, "liquid PPF") for impact/chip resistance. Which one works better for you depends on what you're driving through daily and how often/how you wash the car. I slapped two thick layers of Rocklear on mine, if I did a few more it would basically be as thick as PPF. It fills in scratches in the original clearcoat, and we basically polish the crap out of my car the day before any scheduled show.

Self install? interesting. Does it need to be baked on?
Old 06-29-2024, 04:41 PM
imhighlander
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 155 Posts

Since you're soliciting opinions, I'll add mine.

I think that a nice "real world" patina on a 911 is the right look. It's great to polish the factory paint but I'd be reluctant to repaint or to wrap, and my perspective is a little different from some of the others in the thread.

I'd be reluctant to repaint because my anxiety for the first scratch or dent would steal a lot of the joy of driving for me. I wouldn't toss the car around anymore, I probably would never track it, and I'd otherwise be way too fussy to enjoy it. I'd sweat the first rock chip.

I'm on the fence with wraps. Dropping a few grand for a clearly temporary "solution" just seems like a waste of money. I'd rather have a "patina-ed" 911 on sweet wheels, top-of-the-line suspension and brakes, with everything mechanically dialed in.

If I was looking to spend, I'd spend there and on the interior and leave the exterior to show the well-earned battle scars of a life well lived. I'd let someone else have the garage queen.

cqhall (06-30-2024)

Quick Reply: To Repaint? To Polish? Or to Wrap?