996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PPF Resale Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 07:50 PM
Patunia
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

I don’t think saint80 is coming back,,,,didn’t even last a month.
The following 3 users liked this post by Patunia:
Leedlast (05-16-2024), por944trs (05-16-2024), TheChunkNorris (05-15-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 07:22 AM
saint80
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdbornem
My 2-cents is that any money you spend on it will not be made back on the sale price. So take off the old damaged film, and let the buyer decide what they do from there.
Thanks man! Appreciate it
Old 05-16-2024, 07:24 AM
saint80
Track Day

Originally Posted by Patunia
I don’t think saint80 is coming back,,,,didn’t even last a month.
I'm right here and have responded to all threads I am subscribed to. I typically only reply to constructive comments. Trolls can bother other people. It's a simple question with a simple opinion on an answer.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:26 AM
saint80
Track Day

Originally Posted by Patunia
No I’ve never had a full engine and transmission out review, whatever that is. Like I said, I understand that it’s a Turbo model, more expensive to maintain. I’m just asking a question. $40k maintenance over the 22 years of the lifetime of the vehicle is way more understandable. You didn’t say that, just the cost of maintenance you mentioned. Are you the original owner? If not, that explains why $40k was spent on repairs/replacement/maintenance by you.
Anyway, good luck with selling your car.
I have all the service records and I am the 2nd owner. How is this contributing to my question? These cars are expensive to maintain. If you don't know what an "engine and transmission out" is, then it seems you really have nothing to add to the question and the thread. Be an *** for *** sakes, all I did was ask a very simple question.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:28 AM
saint80
Track Day

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Id say it’ll cost as much as a full paint correction so closer to the $1k+ range.

He’s probably one of the nicer guys on here, don’t be softer than baby **** and see his comment as advice and not a personal attack.
Appreciate your opinion and perspective, it's a good one. I did not find anything constructive about his comments.

I think I have obtained about as much constructive feedback as possible. It's a shame people have to attack data that really isn't relevant to the discussion. A
Old 05-16-2024, 04:13 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,074 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Originally Posted by saint80
EDITED - B/c I do not need worthless comments as was happening - just 1 question left
This is the kind of self entitled behavior that gets you in trouble on the playground. What the hell are you thinking?
The following 4 users liked this post by GC996:
Billy_Baroo (05-19-2024), Leedlast (05-16-2024), Patunia (05-16-2024), TheChunkNorris (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 07:03 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 989 Posts

Appreciate your opinion and perspective, it's a good one. I did not find anything constructive about his comments.

I think I have obtained about as much constructive feedback as possible. It's a shame people have to attack data that really isn't relevant to the discussion. A
Commentary aside, the biggest thing about the PPF removal process is understanding there’s a good chance you’re going to repaint.

I’ve done 5 or 6 removals but one stands out in my mind. Had to take an adhesive wheel via a drill to a very expensive car.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:21 PM
Patunia
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

I have all the service records and I am the 2nd owner. How is this contributing to my question? These cars are expensive to maintain. If you don't know what an "engine and transmission out" is, then it seems you really have nothing to add to the question and the thread. Be an *** for *** sakes, all I did was ask a very simple question.
All I did was ask a simple question also. You said “engine transmission out REVIEW “ I asked what that is because I never heard someone say “REVIEW “ I’m sure you meant to say engine/transmission out repair, replace, while it’s all out just fix everything. So I’m asking agin. What cost $40k!? While I’m as you say “an *** for *** sakes” (maybe I should report you to the moderator, ya know, since you reported a guy who’s been a member here 15 years before you) Why would you spend $40k for a “review “ 🙄
then ask a simple question regarding PPF removal/replacement (not review) that is likely the least amount any seller/buyer would be concerned about?
The following users liked this post:
Leedlast (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 08:56 PM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,173 Likes on 547 Posts

Commentary aside, the biggest thing about the PPF removal process is understanding there’s a good chance you’re going to repaint.
True, there’s a good possibility of the clear coat/ paint coming off when removing PPF or a wrap that’s been left on too long.

IMHO it’s going to bring down the price significantly if the PPF is left on.
A prospective buyer has to be willing to take a chance that a respray is part of the deal.

TheChunkNorris (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 09:39 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,522 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by cqhall
It's my understanding that that old PPF was designed to come off after 5 years. I can't say what's gonna happen for sure, but I bet when you go to take this off after 14 years it won't come off in big elastic panels like we see in videos. It might cost a few hundred just to have it professionally removed.
Originally Posted by philbert996
True, there’s a good possibility of the clear coat/ paint coming off when removing PPF or a wrap that’s been left on too long.
A prospective buyer has to be willing to take a chance that a respray is part of the deal.
As I mentioned in my first post (the one where I was acting like a 14 year old ), I did pull clearcoat away when I removed the Cayenne's PPF. I touched it up but it was noticeable and never looked right after that.

He’s probably one of the nicer guys on here
Why thank you kind sir.

The following 2 users liked this post by SoCal911t:
996love (05-17-2024), cqhall (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 10:25 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
As I mentioned in my first post (the one where I was acting like a 14 year old ), I did pull clearcoat away when I removed the Cayenne's PPF. I touched it up but it was noticeable and never looked right after that.

Why thank you kind sir.
You’re very welcome and I’m assuming it’s the red Platinum edition? Red is a terrible to match.

Originally Posted by philbert996

I also feel this way about wraps, I wouldn’t buy a wrapped car and the only exception being headlight PPF because you can refinish them without having to paint match upon removal.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:44 AM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

I was considering replacing the PPF on my car but these removal stories are giving me pause. I knew it was going to be a challenge, but I didn't know lifting the clear was a possibility. Yikes.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:28 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Corso
I was considering replacing the PPF on my car but these removal stories are giving me pause. I knew it was going to be a challenge, but I didn't know lifting the clear was a possibility. Yikes.
Biggest thing to consider is if you had any paint work done prior to the PPF.
cqhall (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 10:40 AM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

Biggest thing to consider is if you had any paint work done prior to the PPF.
That would be negative.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:42 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts

@Corso, think about it this way: The best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The second best time is today.

If it's gotta be done, it's gotta be done.

My PPF was old and yellowing, but not cracking yet. It was still somewhat elastic. My tint guy estimated it to be about 10 years old. I didn't have any clear coat come off (knock wood). Knocking wood because I have two small areas behind each front wheel well to remove today that I overlooked yesterday.

As mentioned in another thread, I'll never have PPF / clear bra / wrap applied to a car for several reasons, including the aforementioned. What's wild is that one day about a year or two ago, a guy posted to /r/porsche on Reddit where he bought a BRAND NEW high-spec (GT3?) 911 and immediately took it to be wrapped a different color.

And the whole, "Wraps protect your paint, bro!", talk is asinine to me. It's like putting plastic on on a sofa. Who are you saving it for? The next owner to enjoy?

The following 2 users liked this post by cqhall:
Corso (05-17-2024), Patunia (05-17-2024)

Quick Reply: PPF Resale Question