Sponsored by:

2004 996 C4S passenger side turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 11:43 AM
997Upitt
was Onceman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 996 C4S passenger side turn signal issue

Having an issue with passenger side front turn signal working intermittently on my 04 Carrera 4S. Works as it should and then doesn't. Had a local indy shop who specializes is Porsche take a look at it. Replaced bulb and checked wiring. Worked on ride home but next time I took her out, got the fast flashing blinker light indicating it wasn’t working. Appointment with dealer who replaced the aftermarket bulb the indy installed with OEM bulb. Cleaned up connections, made sure they were tight and everything was working and sent me on my way $300 lighter in the wallet. Worked for the next few rides until yesterday when I got the fast flashing blinker again. Emailed service manager who said I probably need a new headlamp to the tune of $2400… Can’t believe the only fix is to replace a perfectly functioning headlamp due to an intermittent blinker issue. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:19 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

Pull the headlight and check the wiring. At this age mostly deteriorated and broken. Also, check the rear lights for broken wires and a firm connection for the turn signal flasher bulb. Make sure the contacts are clean (both front and back). Sometimes the metal contact in the bottom of the sockets need to be bent up a little. It's not that hard to do this. Good luck...
Old 03-02-2024, 06:26 PM
tommelton
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 86 Posts

I just recently had this same issue, 2003 C2. Mine happened after driving in the rain. Got home, pulled the light, bulb good, sprayed the contacts for the headlight assembly and the car receptacle with electrical contact cleaner, and reassembled, no more issue. I will bet the is a small misalignment on some pin that I will have to tweak sooner or later.

-Tom

Old 05-31-2024, 12:33 PM
tommelton
Racer

As a follow up to my last post - my issue came back yesterday. It was not a pin misalignment issue. I swapped the bulb holder between right and left sides - no change for the left (drivers) side front turn signal. I tested at the body side connector - test light flashed appropriately between pins 1 and 6. Found the following video about Porsche 996 Turn Signal Fix - and near the 5 minute mark was my issue. The contacts within the housing where the turn signal socket twists - there was very slight pitting on one of the spring clips - likely from arcing. I used a small (tiny) screwdriver to gently pry the two clips away from the side of the housing (toward the opening) and cleaned the arc trace from the spring clip. Reassembled and again have working front turn signal.

-Tom
The following users liked this post:
996love (05-31-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 06:48 PM
tommelton
Racer

Did you adjust the clips in the headlight, or just on the bulb holder? Mine needed the clips in the headlight bent into the opening more. Search for posts from me, I posted a video link about a week ago.

-Tom

Quick Reply: 2004 996 C4S passenger side turn signal issue