Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Interior trim pieces; Original or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 10:48 AM
Erlihovd
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Interior trim pieces; Original or aftermarket?

I purchased a MY2000 996 C2 last year, and i am looking for some answers regarding options and trim pieces.
So the PO just noted that it was a 50 years anniversary edition, but branding in the car shows that it is more specifically a 50 years anniversary model for Porsche Zentrum Munchen (Established in 1950 i presume).

This brings me to the point of the post: Aside from the 50 Jahre Porsche Zentrum Munchen-branded steering wheel, gear **** and door sills, the car is full of trim pieces in this weird stone marbly grey colored paint.
Instrument cluster shroud, door cubbies and handles, gear selector, handbrake lever and the narrow passenger side dashboard trim strip is painted. Even the entire center console stack, including the face of the original Becker CDR-220 head unit is painted this way.
Note that my car also has a 09991 option code from the Sonderwunch (Special request) Programme.

I did not think any more of this after i bought the car, as i figured the 00'ies were full of strange interior wood grain-esque trim.
Only now after browsing the forums for a while and looking at a bunch of 996 interiors i realized that i have not stumbled upon anyone with similar interior trim.

This makes me question wether the paint is aftermarket or not, so i turn to the forum to see if anyone has any knowledge of these 50 Jahre Porsche Zentrum Munchen models or others who might have clues regarding this marbled grey interior trim.
Any Ideas?

Branded steering wheel, 50 Jahre PZM logo.

Old 02-18-2024, 10:55 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 959 Likes on 598 Posts

Perhaps hydro-dipped? Looks to be in good shape. Center console is what color?
Old 02-18-2024, 11:04 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 707 Posts

I don't know anything about this particular model...but...the fit and finish of what you have shown is not very "Porsche". The gaps and overall fit reeks of aftermarket parts. Sorry...
Old 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Erlihovd
Track Day

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
Perhaps hydro-dipped? Looks to be in good shape. Center console is what color?
Center console surround is grey leather look. Top part of center stack is occupied by a horrendous 2-din installed by PO, but the original pieces has the same grey pattern as the doors.
I think you are right about the hydro-dipping

Old 02-18-2024, 11:10 AM
Erlihovd
Track Day

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I don't know anything about this particular model...but...the fit and finish of what you have shown is not very "Porsche". The gaps and overall fit reeks of aftermarket parts. Sorry...
Should have noted that the fitment of the AC-controls is a results of the PO moving it to the lower center console and the pieces not fitting properly.
Regarding the door cubby i believe one of the previous owners were a tad in the heavy side as the hinge has a lot of slack. Passenger side is better.

Either way, the trim piece near the door handle has a tendency to pop out of place, so you might be right...
Old 02-18-2024, 11:39 AM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 376 Posts

2000 there was a millennium edition
2003 there was a 40 jahre
No 50 year for the 996 I have ever heard of.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:43 PM
Erlihovd
Track Day

Originally Posted by hbdunn
2000 there was a millennium edition
2003 there was a 40 jahre
No 50 year for the 996 I have ever heard of.
I don't believe it is an official anniversary model from porsche, but something more of a commission from Porsche Zentrum Munchen celebrating 50 years.
Seems like the only logical explanation for the 50 Jahre Porsche Zentrum Munchen branded steering wheel, gear selector and door sill.

That being said, it is so obscure that i cannot find anything online, which again brings me here.

​​​​​​​
Old 02-18-2024, 01:36 PM
hardtailer
Pro

Received 282 Likes on 189 Posts

Try asking at the source via e-mail

Old 02-18-2024, 05:25 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,678 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Erlihovd
Should have noted that the fitment of the AC-controls is a results of the PO moving it to the lower center console and the pieces not fitting properly.
Regarding the door cubby i believe one of the previous owners were a tad in the heavy side as the hinge has a lot of slack. Passenger side is better.

Either way, the trim piece near the door handle has a tendency to pop out of place, so you might be right...
What we know... this is definitely not an ME model because of the lack of the unique model interior features like the unique caramel brown leather with maple accents and exterior Chromaflair Violet paint. Oh and you can't forget the millennium edition number plate located on the bat wing. (see attached) We also know it's not an AE model which was released on the MY04 996.

IMHO, the 09991 option code is the best clue we have. It appears a special order model by Porsche Zentrum of München to celebrate their own anniversary not related to Porsche AG in general.

Those trim pieces don't match up because the owner probably didn't take the time to order the correct ones if even available. I would have just kept it original setup with the CDR-220 or go with a single DIN Porsche classic radio. Normally, when using a double DIN headunit, the AC unit mounts on the lower slot like shown in the picture. An upper shelve is ordered when this change is made, but the problem could have been the lack of trim pieces to match the existing overlays and the previous owner just made the best of it. Good news, you could alway put it back to the original but you will lack the upper CD holder that had the special overlay wood material.

My best advice moving forward, is to contact Porsche Zentrum and see if they can give you some insight to the special order model and maybe advice on replacing the trim pieces if needed.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 02-18-2024 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:13 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,359 Likes on 1,972 Posts

It is a pretty interesting distinct model, made/sold exclusively for Porsche Center Munich.

Found this History on the Porsche Center at Munich ,;;

History of the Porsche Center Munich: 1923 The beginning - importer of Harley Davidson, Triumph, Northon and Ariel. 1934 Opening of an Opel car dealership. 1950 1st dealer contract with Porsche. 1952 Porsche is included in the sales program. 1969 Opening of the Porsche Center Munich at Schleibingerstrasse 8. 1971 Reconstruction and expansion of the sales room and workshop. 1973 Opening of the MOTORAMA multi-brand vehicle exhibition.The Porsche Center is also moving into the new exhibitor rooms and establishing the new “Porsche Club Carrera”, an exclusive showroom on Rosenheimer Berg. 1975 The Porsche Center in Munich records the most vehicle deliveries in Europe. 1991 Founding of MAHAG Sportwagen-Zentrum GmbH. 1997 New building on Schleibingerstrasse. 2002 Expansion of the used car sales area
by approx. 2,000 m². 2009 renovation/expansion of the workshop. 2014 Reconstruction/expansion of the workshop and adaptation to the current corporate architecture of Porsche..

Over the history of Automobiles there has been quite a few similar "limited edition" models that were creations/idea's that originated from high volume dealers or dealer groups ( like The Greater Chicago Area Dealers Association ect.) where the dealer(s) would go to the manufacture to request a special edition model to sell in their area exclusively, like the 1966-1968 "California Special Mustangs" and the "Colorado High Country Special Mustangs" that took some Shelby parts ( rear spoiler ,tail lights, scoops, strips ect) and any power train that was available, and make limited edition models, that are the most sought after and rare Mustangs ( other than the all Shelby, Shelby Mustangs)...There has been many other less sought after " Dealer inspired " special editions that are nothing more than strips and decals that didn't inspire or fare as well as the California Specials/High Country Specials, but that's the way the game is played...

Your Special model was obviously inspired by the Dealer to Celebrate their 50 years ( Jahre) of doing business as one of the oldest Porsche Dealers in exsistence. What would be interesting is how big a part did "Porsche" play in the actual design/manufacture, and/or who"s $$ was used to create it + how many were made ?

I would assume that as/if all models of 996 become valuable, this special edition will be a cut above...but who knows .....
Old 02-18-2024, 08:27 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 145 Posts

I thought that the 09991 code just meant the car was equipped with some X-coded options. Those option would be noted on the tag on the underside of the frunk. If you have some X-coded items on the tag, it fairly easy to find out what those option are.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:42 PM
firewalkwithme
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SSDVC
I thought that the 09991 code just meant the car was equipped with some X-coded options. Those option would be noted on the tag on the underside of the frunk. If you have some X-coded items on the tag, it fairly easy to find out what those option are.
Not necessarily, my car has about a dozen X-code options, but no 09991 code tied to it. From what I understand, 09991 could've meant just about anything depending on who you were and what you were willing to spend.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:42 AM
Erlihovd
Track Day

Originally Posted by hardtailer
Try asking at the source via e-mail

Yeah, this is probably the way to go, good shout
Old 02-19-2024, 06:50 AM
Erlihovd
Track Day

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
What we know... this is definitely not an ME model because of the lack of the unique model interior features like the unique caramel brown leather with maple accents and exterior Chromaflair Violet paint. Oh and you can't forget the millennium edition number plate located on the bat wing. (see attached) We also know it's not an AE model which was released on the MY04 996.

IMHO, the 09991 option code is the best clue we have. It appears a special order model by Porsche Zentrum of München to celebrate their own anniversary not related to Porsche AG in general.

Those trim pieces don't match up because the owner probably didn't take the time to order the correct ones if even available. I would have just kept it original setup with the CDR-220 or go with a single DIN Porsche classic radio. Normally, when using a double DIN headunit, the AC unit mounts on the lower slot like shown in the picture. An upper shelve is ordered when this change is made, but the problem could have been the lack of trim pieces to match the existing overlays and the previous owner just made the best of it. Good news, you could alway put it back to the original but you will lack the upper CD holder that had the special overlay wood material.

My best advice moving forward, is to contact Porsche Zentrum and see if they can give you some insight to the special order model and maybe advice on replacing the trim pieces if needed.

Yeah, this is exactly what i am trying to do now, remove the 2-DIN and revert back to stock look with a bluetooth dongle hooked up to the CDR-220(It does not have the CD changer). I reckon the trim pieces will fit together properly when rearranged as intended.
I do actually have the original CD storage unit, and it is coated in the exact same fashion as the stereo and AC control unit
Old 02-19-2024, 07:04 AM
Erlihovd
Track Day

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
It is a pretty interesting distinct model, made/sold exclusively for Porsche Center Munich.

Your Special model was obviously inspired by the Dealer to Celebrate their 50 years ( Jahre) of doing business as one of the oldest Porsche Dealers in exsistence. What would be interesting is how big a part did "Porsche" play in the actual design/manufacture, and/or who"s $$ was used to create it + how many were made ?

I would assume that as/if all models of 996 become valuable, this special edition will be a cut above...but who knows .....
As some people here have suggested i think course of action would be to contact Porsche Zentrum Munchen directly to see if they can provide any info on these models.
I might have been somewhat optimistic about stumbling upon someone on here familiar with these models

Quick Reply: Interior trim pieces; Original or aftermarket?