Rev hang problem -00 C2

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 05:02 PM
mrop
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rev hang problem -00 C2

Hi!

I have this annoying problem with my -00 C2 996 that when I’m accelerating and taking my foot off the gas and press the clutch to shift up my RPMs keeps climbing for a little while before it starts to drop. This feature makes quick shifting difficult as revs are just too high for next gear and it also sounds annoying because it’s like I’m still on the gas while engaging clutch even though I’m not. This has been bugging me for two summers already and I just can’t figure out what’s causing it. A year ago I did a complete engine overhaul and during the assembly I paid special attention to ensure there were no vacuum leaks but the problem stayed exactly the same.

Things I’ve checked/changed

-New fuel injectors
-both varicam solenoids tested
-Cam deviations ok
-Intake side completely stock
-Exhaust fister modded
-UAOS fitted
-I’ve cleaned the throttle body and according to diagnostic tool it operates linearly with the gas pedal
-No fault codes
-e-gas calibration done many times
-MAF cleaned with MAF cleaner
-Dismantled and cleaned gas pedal
-Tried to disable clutch switch but no effect on the problem
-According to diagnostic tool all of the temp sensors seem to be functioning properly
-I´m certain I’m not pressing the gas pedal, when engaging the clutch. I’ve had the car for 3 years and at least I think it wasn’t like that the first summer I drove it.

Also my RPMs increase randomly in cold starts. Sometimes idle RPMs won’t increase at all even if the car has been sitting in cold for several days. When I bought the car, RPMs increased for a little while every time in cold starts. I don’t know if these two issues are related.

Here’s a video of me first blipping the throttle in neutral and then doing the exact same thing in first gear while clutch engaged. Btw engine temp is normally not that high.

What could be causing that?
Old 02-01-2024, 06:02 PM
hardtailer
Pro

Received 286 Likes on 191 Posts

Perhaps the short bowden cable between throttle pedal and throttle position sensor is dragging, making it harder for the spring to pull it back.
Don't know if that's a thing on 996 with e-gas, though.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:30 PM
sublm8
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 63 Posts

You sure it's not just an electrical issue with the tach, like maybe the RPM packets are stacking and making the engine speed read higher than it actually is?

As it doesn't quite sound like it is racing at 4000rpm based on that vid.

Do you have Durametric data to confirm the rev hang?

Also, replacement status of your clutch/flywheel?

Last edited by sublm8; 02-01-2024 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:01 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,422 Likes on 1,995 Posts

I have seen this several times before...

Does your car have T/C or PSM ?

This problem usually stems from wheel speed sensors, or mismatched tires/ air pressures..

What type test equipment do you have ?

If you have T/C or PSM turn them off and see if the problem persists....

Post any fault codes in the ABS/PSM system, and tire size/brand/air pressures............If there is any problems with wheel speed sensors, tire sizes,air pressures, the computer will think a wheel is locking up or the car is going out of control and will try to intervene by not letting the throttle suddenly close..
Old 02-02-2024, 05:00 AM
mrop
7th Gear

Thank you all for replies.

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I have seen this several times before...

Does your car have T/C or PSM ?

This problem usually stems from wheel speed sensors, or mismatched tires/ air pressures..

What type test equipment do you have ?

If you have T/C or PSM turn them off and see if the problem persists....

Post any fault codes in the ABS/PSM system, and tire size/brand/air pressures............If there is any problems with wheel speed sensors, tire sizes,air pressures, the computer will think a wheel is locking up or the car is going out of control and will try to intervene by not letting the throttle suddenly close..
Great! this sounds like a reasonable explanation. My car has PSM and I practically never turn it off. I will try this the first thing I get my car back together and out of winter storage. I have OEM 18" turbo twists fitted with pilot sports and the tyre pressures should be fine.

I only have Foxwell NT530 diagnostic tool and I've never had any codes from ABS/PSM system. Maybe it's time for me to get Durametric...
Old 02-02-2024, 03:04 PM
hardtailer
Pro

Tyre sizes, we need the tyre sizes...
Bigger rear tyres rotate slower than fronts at any given speed and when coasting/engine braking the MSR function within PSM interprets the lower rear rotating speed at risk of too low, thus risking stability and adds gas.

https://www.tuningblog.eu/en/categor...ontrol-267465/

Last edited by hardtailer; 02-02-2024 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:25 PM
mrop
7th Gear

Originally Posted by hardtailer
Tyre sizes, we need the tyre sizes...
Bigger rear tyres rotate slower than fronts at any given speed and when coasting/engine braking the MSR function within PSM interprets the lower rear rotating speed at risk of too low, thus risking stability and adds gas.

https://www.tuningblog.eu/en/categor...ontrol-267465/
225/40-18 front and 265/35-18 rear. But I don't think the tires are the cause as I haven't changed the tyre size..
Old 02-03-2024, 06:51 PM
hardtailer
Pro

Originally Posted by mrop
225/40-18 front and 265/35-18 rear. But I don't think the tires are the cause as I haven't changed the tyre size..
Sizes are correct. Are they same brand and model/type?
Pressures also as specified on the sticker on the inside of the frunk lid?

BTW I haven't noticed anything wrong in the video above. Of course your right foot isn't visible but a small bit of lag is normal as it's air mass that has to be sped up to rush into the plenum and fill the cilinders when the throttle opens and keeps being sucked into the cilinders from the plenum when the throttle is closed.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:23 AM
mrop
7th Gear

Originally Posted by hardtailer
Sizes are correct. Are they same brand and model/type?
Pressures also as specified on the sticker on the inside of the frunk lid?

BTW I haven't noticed anything wrong in the video above. Of course your right foot isn't visible but a small bit of lag is normal as it's air mass that has to be sped up to rush into the plenum and fill the cilinders when the throttle opens and keeps being sucked into the cilinders from the plenum when the throttle is closed.
Yep. The tires are the same brand and model and they are the same age. And yes I use the recommended air pressures and usually check them regularly with a separate pressure gauge.

In the video 0:14-0:21 I’m blipping the throttle from about 4k RPM and revs increase to about 5k. From 0:40 —> when the car is moving and I’m in gear with clutch depressed I’m blipping in the same way but it sound like I’m pressing the gas pedal more/longer even though I’m not. I pressed the gas even less than at the beginning to prevent the RPM from reaching the limiter. I know it’s hard to tell from the video because you cannnot see what my foot is doing, but when driving it’s like night and day.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:38 AM
purelydriving
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a similar issue with my 2001 986, there's a half second delay when lifting off the throttle before the revs come back down. That car has Egas, but no traction control or PSM. I have a 2000 C2 as well, and that car is fine, so it sounds like this behavior is not specific to a particular model / year and rather an issue with your 2000 C2 and my 2001 Boxster.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:47 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,526 Likes on 2,031 Posts

I would follow Skip's thoughts above.

But fwiw your video looks pretty normal when sitting and reving the car without any load. If you want, post a video under acceleration with and without the psm on to see if there is a difference.

Are you running any aftermarket software? Alot of folks complain that an e-gas pedal has a slight rev delay versus a cable pedal. Better e-gas throttle response is easy enough to fix with good software. But even with software, there is a slight delay in revs dropping off in the 996.

Shifting in the 996 is a rythym, especially on the track, which is why i never went to a short shift kit in my 996.

Last edited by GC996; 02-06-2024 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:18 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I would unplug the PSM pump and see if it goes away.
If it does not, I would suspect the throttle body. The feedback pot gets dirty and the ECU can't modulate the throttle correctly.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:54 PM
gcracer1
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a very similar problem to mrop. The rev.s "hang" but only when the car is moving and the clutch is depressed. No issue when I am stopped and in neutral. The car is a 2001 C2. I dont have PSM or traction control. However I have changed the tires and they are now all the same size. The car has been converted to a Safari car. Based on the symptoms and the comments above it would appear I have a computer issue. Anyone know what the fix might be?
Old 04-29-2024, 02:57 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Unplug the ABS and see if it still happens.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:34 PM
hardtailer
Pro

Originally Posted by theprf
Unplug the ABS and see if it still happens.
He wrote that his 996 doesn't have TC or PSM, the only two systems that would open the throttle.
No need to unplug the ABS, it does not play into this.

Quick Reply: Rev hang problem -00 C2