996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

R...M...S...nooooooooooo!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 03:42 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Scouser you've probably got one where they should have replaced the engine under warrenty but didn't. I feel for you. You need to sell it or trade it back to them and let them deal with it.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jumper,

I agree.... a trade in would be nice, make the deal before providing the vin number to them. . . .

Hate to do it but they'll have to deal with the warrantee issues with someone else.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The latest Christophorus on the 997 motor, "largely identical to the tried and true engine of the predecessor model..."
Old 06-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Rob in WA
The latest Christophorus on the 997 motor, "largely identical to the tried and true engine of the predecessor model..."
Don’t think they’ll be using that in their marketing strategy this time around……

-Eli

Old 06-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Peter B
Rennlist Member

Responding to the earlier comments about UK warranty, the Porsche Approved Warranty scheme operated in GB does not cover the failure of any oil seal. I have a letter from an OPC specifically denying my claim. As my learned colleague Scouser rightly points out, these old oils seals should be carefully re-fitted to employees of OPCs.

Where the sun don't shine.

Preferably whilst still warm.

No anaesthetic either!
Old 06-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5 years on the Boxster/996 message boards (including a few on the UK board) and I have never seen 8 pages in a single thread. Can't wait until it starts all over again in a month or two.

Porsche has lost Scouser and others as a potential future customer. There are people afraid of buying a used 996 and people who want to get rid of their car before the warranty expires. An oil leak is not the end of the world. Any manufacturer of any product can have a problem with it's product. How a company deals with a known problem is the test if they want repeat business.

Porsche makes money from selling new cars. They are making money now. Some history buff correct me, but I think in the mid-1990s Porsche sold something like 4,000 cars in the US per year and was at the risk of being taken over by a larger company. The Boxster sales which started in 1996 kept the company independent as the Boxster was such a hit that for 1998 most of the production was outsourced to Finland as Germany could not build them fast enough to keep up with demand.

Then there were problems with the M96 motor (that took 4 years to develop). Porsche responded by increasing the 2 year warranty to 4 years for the model year 1999 Boxster. When the 1998 996 came to the US as a model year 1999 it too had a 4 year warranty.

Porsche, like any company, knows what to do to keep it's market share. It may not be an issue for Porsche now since they are making money. They do take good care of some customers, as they should. Having had a few cars with more than 100k miles and no RMS leaks, I do not expect to replace an oil seal more often then the oil is supposed to be changed. That is crazy for a modern day car.

If you have a seal problem and it does not cost you money, then good for you. When your lease or warranty is up you can get rid of the car. If the hit or mis leak does not happen to you, then good for you. Some of us are in for the long haul and have no warranty. Someone pointed out that the risk should be on Porsche, not the owner, and I agree. I would never buy a used Porsche Boxster/996 if the risk was on me. I did not know about the RMS issue when I bought mine 5 years ago. I now know that the root cause of the problem is that the crankshaft has moved and it cost too much to rebuild a motor, so you need a new/rebuilt motor - about $10k. And the replacement motor may leak. A 2004 may leak - and we now have reports that they do leak just like in 1996, sometimes on the showroom floor.

P.S. Not sure of the point of this post but it took me a long time to type. So here it is anyway. My January 1997 Boxster has the original oil seal BTW. Jeff

Last edited by Tool Pants; 06-14-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Surf Twang
Instructor

Perhaps it would have been better if they had been taken over by a larger company. What is developing is a classic business story that repeats itself over and over: chief executive comes in, sacrifices the future for short-term gain that he can take credit for, moves on before things crash and leaves his successor to clean up the mess. Interesting that this month's issue of Christophorus is the only one I can remember that didn't have the CEO's picture plastered all over the place.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally posted by Stevo'99
With a Tiptronic, I guess I don't really have much to worry about then if it does happen. Thanks, scouser.
I hope you're guess is right Steve....

I have a tiptronic, 7600 miles and guess what! RMS baby!!! just found the oil spot on the floor yesterday!!!

I AM IN THE CLUB!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2004, 02:27 AM
Gnome
Racer

Originally posted by Tool Pants
Porsche has lost Scouser and others as a potential future customer.
The other bummer is that we might lose Scouser on this board when he gets rid of his car
Old 06-15-2004, 03:23 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Itzkirb
I have a tiptronic, 7600 miles and guess what! RMS baby!!! just found the oil spot on the floor yesterday!!!I AM IN THE CLUB!!!!!!!!!
Not yet. There are a hundred places where oil can leak from any motor. Oil likes to escape. The RMS is just one place - there are many others.

Other stuff/fluids can leak from any motor.

You are not in the club yet. You need pictures. RMS with a tip.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:57 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

ok, ok, we'll know on Friday when I bring it into the dealer to check out. Jeff, always trying to ruin my fun and not allowing me into the "Club"
Old 06-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Tool Pants
5 years on the Boxster/996 message boards (including a few on the UK board) and I have never seen 8 pages in a single thread. Can't wait until it starts all over again in a month or two.
Ooo I dunno Jeff. There's been some real humdinger threads. The biggest I think was the 78 page "Who are we" thread https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=90640 But for yet another RMS thread, yeah 8 pages is getting interesting

Kirby, I really do hope your wrong. First Poursha's 996 and now yours, both at roughly 7000 miles. This is getting rediculous. Those cars haven't cut their first teeth yet!
Old 06-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Add me to the club....RMS replaced on my 2003 by my dealer at 8400 miles, but I suspect the problem started well before that.

I planned to hold on to this car for a while, but now I am scared of what might happen after the 4 years is up...
Old 06-15-2004, 01:56 PM
RexracerX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooo I dunno Jeff. There's been some real humdinger threads. The biggest I think was the 78 page "Who are we" thread http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...;threadid=90640 But for yet another RMS thread, yeah 8 pages is getting interesting
RMS vs. Rejex thread...Who will win???? :hiha:
Old 06-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Not going to beat the Grid Girls in the off topic area

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=136268

Quick Reply: R...M...S...nooooooooooo!!!!