Sponsored by:

Need Help with Coolant in my Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 06:10 PM
Chuckben
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Help with Coolant in my Oil

I am preparing to purchase a 2000 C4 Cab. and have a ppi scheduled tomorrow am. I have the car in my garage tonight and giving a second look over. When removing the oil filler cap I discovered several drops of coolant in the filler tube and cap (see photos). I checked the dipstick and the oil was clean with no moisture. I then checked the coolant tank and the coolant looked ok. Note this was after driving the car for about 30 minutes (in the rain) so it was warmed up. On my previous inspection I noticed some oil leakage near the cam solenoid cable entrance, but I couldn't tell if it was from the solenoid or in the area above (AOS).

Should I abort the ppl tomorrow and walk away from this car?

Old 12-05-2023, 06:14 PM
khyatt
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 18 Posts

That doesn't seem like intermix. It seems more like condensation. These cars have a ton of oil, and I doubt a 30-minute drive would be enough to drive out all the moisture.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:21 PM
Chuckben
Advanced

It's been setting around for about a week without being driven much until today.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:26 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 148 Posts

I posted a similar thing many years ago and was also advised it was condensation. I also received this from someone (who was it?)

The following users liked this post:
allcool (12-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 09:40 PM
allcool
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckben
I am preparing to purchase a 2000 C4 Cab. and have a ppi scheduled tomorrow am. I have the car in my garage tonight and giving a second look over. When removing the oil filler cap I discovered several drops of coolant in the filler tube and cap (see photos). I checked the dipstick and the oil was clean with no moisture. I then checked the coolant tank and the coolant looked ok. Note this was after driving the car for about 30 minutes (in the rain) so it was warmed up. On my previous inspection I noticed some oil leakage near the cam solenoid cable entrance, but I couldn't tell if it was from the solenoid or in the area above (AOS).

Should I abort the ppl tomorrow and walk away from this car?

If you're serious about this car other than this problem, then don't let this scare you away ,yet. Little more time will tell you. Clean up the oil tube ( being gentle with it as its prone to breaking) with a clean rag, clean up the cap good, then run it again, preferably not in the rain like before. Get it hot for 10 miles. Stop and check it again.

Looks like normal running in the cold rain condensation to me, but on the second pic looks like orange color droplets..? in the cap, unlike the first pic showing clear droplets in cap/tube.?

Is coolant low, what color coolant..? You said oil looked good, no milkshake on dipstick..?

jmo
Old 12-05-2023, 09:41 PM
allcool
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 173 Posts

sorry, duplicate post deleted

Last edited by allcool; 12-05-2023 at 09:43 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 12-05-2023, 10:15 PM
Chuckben
Advanced

The droplets in the oil cap were clear. There was a light film of oil on the cap. you can see where I wiped some off (the circle). The color of the cap's inside is orange. The coolant tank is full and is a yellow color. Oil on the dipstick was clean. No milkshake.

I cleaned the tube and the cap and will drive it about 15 miles tomorrow am to get the ppl.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-05-2023, 10:25 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,080 Posts

It’s a sign that this vehicle has had too many short trips. Even in rain and conditions where condensation likes to accumulate, the engine and engine bay get hot enough to evaporate all that moisture if the car is driven for a good amount of time.

If you have to take some short trips here and there, be sure to drive the car for a good 30+ mins if you can. If you cannot, you’ll have to perform more frequent oil changes.
The following users liked this post:
Einsteiger (12-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Need Help with Coolant in my Oil