996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

BMSPEC 996 C2 - Restore, Enhance, Explore

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 10:03 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,770 Likes on 903 Posts

Amazing work and congrats on the new venture! Fair to assume artnd is the name? I guess I can add your car to one of my favorites on this site. Very well and tastefully executed on all aspects.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:37 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 629 Posts

Bravo! You’ve stirred our imaginations with your craft and determination.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:05 PM
JP_Gervs
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Unreal. Beautiful shots and great work.

edit: these wheel/tire specs seem to accomplish multiple things. Aid in filling the fender gap, sit flush with fender, allows a more even appearance in F vs R sidewall (something that irks me regarding the 225/285 stock sizes). Also, in conjunction with some suspension work you can optimize handling performance without lowering too much since you’ve already handled the fender gap aesthetically speaking. I’ve got 18s that I like and my feeler always was 18s were the way on the car, but these wheels are something else.

Last edited by JP_Gervs; 03-19-2024 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,582 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Excellent !! That's the added touch to the articulating spoiler I have been looking for for decades.....glad you made it a real thing....
Old 03-19-2024, 10:16 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 707 Posts

Great work!
Old 03-21-2024, 08:53 PM
circuit.heart
Instructor

Received 352 Likes on 131 Posts

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by mchin
This is next level. Happy for your build but I hope you can find a way to sell these parts to the community in a way that you find sustainable and enjoyable, because the things you’ve worked on so far go a long way to improving the car and many people will get enjoyment from them years from now.

I await news on the custom rack mounts in particular, but it’s all excellent stuff. I hope it’s been as fun as it looks.
I hope I can too, I really do. The custom Yakima rack mounts I sent out one last hail-mary RFQ for. If they're still too expensive, I'm gonna settle for a spacer underneath the "correct" Yakima Landing Pad 22 to at least give you guys something to work with. The Thule rack parts are coming in soon which will be a real easy extension, I'm excited to work on that and throw it up on the site.

Originally Posted by philPompili
This looks absolutely fantastic. That car could have rolled off the line yesterday! Tasteful, elegant, and the stripe along the side makes it a nice tax write-off!
Funny story, I've stopped having the business own the car because then the business has to insure the car, and holy moly that is expensive. My reg + insurance on this C2 is only $400 a year as a personal leisure vehicle, the bump from moving it to the company is way more expensive than the depreciation value I could write off. Can't say I understand it.

Originally Posted by plpete84
Amazing work and congrats on the new venture! Fair to assume artnd is the name? I guess I can add your car to one of my favorites on this site. Very well and tastefully executed on all aspects.
www.artndvehiclestudio.com is the new website, a little rough for now but it's at least a landing page to let us start email conversations

Originally Posted by JP_Gervs
Unreal. Beautiful shots and great work.

edit: these wheel/tire specs seem to accomplish multiple things. Aid in filling the fender gap, sit flush with fender, allows a more even appearance in F vs R sidewall (something that irks me regarding the 225/285 stock sizes). Also, in conjunction with some suspension work you can optimize handling performance without lowering too much since you’ve already handled the fender gap aesthetically speaking. I’ve got 18s that I like and my feeler always was 18s were the way on the car, but these wheels are something else.
Yup. The large wheel and tire spec does all the things you mentioned, as well as keep the undercarriage of the car further from these awful Bay Area roads (debris, speed bumps designed for SUVs) and frankly, just look more modern by filling in the fender gap from all sides. A slight bonus is the highway mpg bump from taller gearing, but honestly I've never gotten a chance to run a whole highway tank through this thing so we won't stress it lol.

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Excellent !! That's the added touch to the articulating spoiler I have been looking for for decades.....glad you made it a real thing....
I'll trade you a bunch of pieces for a UIDS! Saves us both a bunch of tax money
The following users liked this post:
plpete84 (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 10:51 AM
hoofdpijn
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 54 Posts

I love that front lip so much.
Old 03-22-2024, 01:17 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 165 Posts

I might be game on those front lips, but I'm trying to avoid side skirts
Old 04-06-2024, 05:26 AM
circuit.heart
Instructor

Originally Posted by hoofdpijn
I love that front lip so much.
I can take an order for 996.2 My lip looks is holding up great to speed, weather and temperature (it's solid ABS, I expect no less).

Originally Posted by 2mAn
I might be game on those front lips, but I'm trying to avoid side skirts
996.1 bumper is a different animal, I'd love to design an equivalent for you but I gotta find a car to scan first. Wanna visit San Jose sometime?

Couple quick updates, I need to be more diligent about taking pictures with the people I meet at local events. It's been great! C&C and PCA folks alike love the custom exterior and interior pieces and I have picked up some fun commissions to work on.

Largely fixed the lifted-up corner of the spoiler, it has to do with how printed nylon shrinks with heat over time. The shrinkage pulls up on the corner of the teatray so I was able to sit it back down by dremeling my print to relax some tension. Not really worried about this as I'm printing ABS instead for production. Dialing in fitment and surface finish with that, hopefully find out next week!

Starting to ship out prints of center console deletes to some fellow Rennlisters. The one on the left is going out to upholstery, so please ignore the layer orientation on that.

Also whipped up a temporary Magsafe solution that looks decent, in case anyone likes putting their phone down here. IMO it's still better higher though, I just need a temporary place for my phone while I figure out the cupholder retrofit.

@mchin @merlot I've got good news for you guys, I got a reasonable quote for the Yakima rack feet that I can actually break-even on if I make ~5 sets. Still need to design a production-quality gasket for the feet to absolutely avoid chipping paint on your rain rails; but will move forward with it once I figure it out!
The following 2 users liked this post by circuit.heart:
40th steve (04-11-2024), igrip (04-06-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 09:20 PM
merlot
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by circuit.heart
@mchin @merlot I've got good news for you guys, I got a reasonable quote for the Yakima rack feet that I can actually break-even on if I make ~5 sets. Still need to design a production-quality gasket for the feet to absolutely avoid chipping paint on your rain rails; but will move forward with it once I figure it out!
That's great news, thanks!
Old 06-23-2024, 03:41 AM
circuit.heart
Instructor

Dang, it's already been two months since we updated this thread?

I've been busy - started a new job in April (offer I couldn't refuse kind of deal) so building out the 996 has taken a back seat. I work, fulfill ArtnD orders, take care of my wife and baby, and do it all over again the next day haha. Still, I'm starting to get into a stride and products are looking sweet.

The car itself, hasn't changed a whole lot except for me filling the inside of the rear spoiler with expanding foam. The nylon print (really, the geometry I drew in the underside) wasn't stiff enough for 130+mph shenanigans, so I've corrected that for the production spoilers. But until we can print them, my one painted prototype needs to last so that's why I foamed it up inside. After which, I foamed the outside too haha.

Got out of my house to explore some local Cars and Coffee meets and it was fantastic! Met a guy with a lovely Datsun 510 who happens to be an architect and rendering whiz - so soon I will learn how to do photorealistic renders and be able to preview custom work for clients

In other news, I'm setting up a showroom! It's a tight, Asia-like space, so I want to build a cozy hangout where friends and clients can come enjoy some espresso/beer/wine and good conversation. My wagon is already putting in hours hauling flooring, paint and plants:

The interior concept is nothing groundbreaking, just clean, serene, welcoming, and offering drinks

Cannot wait!
The following 5 users liked this post by circuit.heart:
freddworks (06-23-2024), gtxracer (06-23-2024), plpete84 (06-25-2024), Porschetech3 (06-23-2024), SSDVC (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 06:01 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,582 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Man oh man !! I wish I had your young energy !! props !!!
Old 06-24-2024, 09:24 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 109 Posts

Great work! Your latest prints look very clean and tidy on the layers.

Showroom render looks amazing. Hopefully it pulls in some business for you and you can continue your 996 product lines and expand to others. Props on the hard work! It takes a lot of energy to get a business off the ground.

Quick Reply: BMSPEC 996 C2 - Restore, Enhance, Explore