996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

BMSPEC 996 C2 - Restore, Enhance, Explore

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 09:14 PM
DVB5150
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 38 Posts

Pls don’t forget the Mk.1 people! The front fascia options available kind of suck IMO if you don’t go full aero.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:55 AM
circuit.heart
Racer

Received 395 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DVB5150
Pls don’t forget the Mk.1 people! The front fascia options available kind of suck IMO if you don’t go full aero.
I think for 996.1 I'd design something similar, but with the center between the "mandibles" filled in. You can always commission me to do it once you see the results of my .2 lip

Back on the horseshoe today, I finally got a good print but it had to be done in two pieces, so out comes the JB Weld again:

Carlos @ Done Right Motorsports knocked out the fill/block/glaze/smooth in just over an hour, awesome stuff.

Just a couple fitment things left to perfect around the buttons - the cig lighter/wiper switch surround fits almost as tight as OEM, I expect it'll be very tight once the leather is on. Left more space around the oval buttons because these of course need to move smoothly.

Please ignore broken tabs for now - manual post-processing mistake - I took this pic to show off the pocket. Took a couple tries to get this fitment perfect but now the switches can be pushed in or out with the same effort as the OEM horseshoe.

It's been a whirlwind 2 days iterating tiny details and fiddling with the printer till I got something usable... but we're almost at the final step! I've overnighted the horseshoe to Swedit to wrap it in an OEM-matching black leather. I am stoked to see this come back, along with the carpeted console delete + HVAC enclosure I sent him a few weeks back. I've been invited to display the car as a vendor at a local show on March 17 so really need to crank everything out. Gonna get my front lip printed by the end of the week or bust.
The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (02-29-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 08:26 AM
circuit.heart
Racer

Couple quick wins already this week, but things are about to get really fun next week.

The console filler piece I whipped up fits perfect, I'm optimizing print infill now to get the surface finish as even as possible.

Threw a quick Magsafe pedestal onto the design for some proof-of-concept. This print didn't go smoothly, but I like how the phone sits on it. If the HVAC controls weren't there I would actually rotate the phone to portrait and make the center console look beautifully slim.

I revised my front lip design a bit, it's now 3 pieces to make more of a horizontal line across the bumper. Took 2 days to print but it was so worth it.

Fitment came out spot on on the first try.

The look works, and I bet it'll really come together once my Aerokit II skirts go on. Like my "GT3 Touring" decklid spoiler also in progress, I want to square off and modernize the 996 but in a way that you could convince people was factory Porsche.

All the bodykit parts should be painted by next week, can't wait!
The following 4 users liked this post by circuit.heart:
freddworks (03-06-2024), gtxracer (03-06-2024), plpete84 (03-06-2024), wdb (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 10:25 AM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

Nice. 3 piece is easier to ship too.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:25 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 709 Posts

Front lip looks great. But I'd tear that off going out of my driveway!
Old 03-06-2024, 12:44 PM
freddworks
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 105 Posts

Nice!
Can't wait for the 996.1 aerokit version
Old 03-06-2024, 07:02 PM
Formerly996fried
Rennlist Member

Location: Deep in the woods near PA border in People's Dystopia Republic of New Jersey
Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm not sure what the mirror is for other than looking up her dress.

Old 03-09-2024, 06:05 AM
circuit.heart
Racer

Originally Posted by wdb
Front lip looks great. But I'd tear that off going out of my driveway!
I think you'd be surprised at the clearance - my driveway it steep too so all of my previous aero products were designed either with clearance or flexibility in mind. I'm always happy to make you a custom version a little higher up, these lips are printed one-by-one anyways so it's just a little design time

Alright, today was a big day! Got my carpet-trimed console delete back from Swedit, it looks great. The HVAC enclosure I painted for now, I think it looks more OEM this way even if it would be nicer leather-wrapped.

The install process is much the same as installing a normal console delete (lift the rear center console, tuck the console delete under it, slide forward) but with the extra awkwardness of hanging the HVAC enclosure up top. I definitely suggest pre-bending the HVAC wiring harness so that it makes a spiral downwards, that will prevent it from wanting to pop out as you push the whole enclosure+delete assembly into place. So I first placed the console delete about 1/2" from fully installed, slipped the batwing trim into the HVAC enclosure, placed 3M tape on the HVAC enclosure, hooked it in (bottom first, then top) then slid the whole assembly forward. Smash the HVAC enclosure upwards to stick it to the dashboard and it is holding well so far (I've given it bump and acceleration testing).

Gorgeous. 40AE owners will be able to keep displaying your factory badges, and seat-heater owners / Targa owners don't have to relocate switches elsewhere.

Now for more sexy - modernized horseshoe has also been leather-wrapped by Swedit. Seam right on the edge, deviated stitching matching my instrument cluster hood.

Installation of this piece was trivial like any OEM horseshoe, just click everything in and go. When I make these for customers I'll relax the margins around these holes 0.5mm - I want to keep it tight but some of my switches bind just a bit, others are perfect...

It really cleans up the dashboard so much, getting rid of unnecessary lines and clutter.

Next week, bodykit!

Last edited by circuit.heart; 03-09-2024 at 06:09 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by circuit.heart:
40th steve (03-11-2024), cavlino (03-11-2024), freddworks (03-09-2024), gtxracer (03-09-2024), JohnCA58 (03-09-2024), plpete84 (03-09-2024), SleepyCyclist (03-09-2024), SSDVC (03-12-2024), TheChunkNorris (03-09-2024), wdb (03-09-2024) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-09-2024, 08:52 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by circuit.heart
I think you'd be surprised at the clearance - my driveway it steep too so all of my previous aero products were designed either with clearance or flexibility in mind. I'm always happy to make you a custom version a little higher up, these lips are printed one-by-one anyways so it's just a little design time

Alright, today was a big day! Got my carpet-trimed console delete back from Swedit, it looks great. The HVAC enclosure I painted for now, I think it looks more OEM this way even if it would be nicer leather-wrapped.

The install process is much the same as installing a normal console delete (lift the rear center console, tuck the console delete under it, slide forward) but with the extra awkwardness of hanging the HVAC enclosure up top. I definitely suggest pre-bending the HVAC wiring harness so that it makes a spiral downwards, that will prevent it from wanting to pop out as you push the whole enclosure+delete assembly into place. So I first placed the console delete about 1/2" from fully installed, slipped the batwing trim into the HVAC enclosure, placed 3M tape on the HVAC enclosure, hooked it in (bottom first, then top) then slid the whole assembly forward. Smash the HVAC enclosure upwards to stick it to the dashboard and it is holding well so far (I've given it bump and acceleration testing).

Gorgeous. 40AE owners will be able to keep displaying your factory badges, and seat-heater owners / Targa owners don't have to relocate switches elsewhere.

Now for more sexy - modernized horseshoe has also been leather-wrapped by Swedit. Seam right on the edge, deviated stitching matching my instrument cluster hood.

Installation of this piece was trivial like any OEM horseshoe, just click everything in and go. When I make these for customers I'll relax the margins around these holes 0.5mm - I want to keep it tight but some of my switches bind just a bit, others are perfect...

It really cleans up the dashboard so much, getting rid of unnecessary lines and clutter.

Next week, bodykit!
That came out amazingly well.
996-CAB (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 09:03 AM
996C438
Burning Brakes

Received 652 Likes on 294 Posts

I think the horseshoe looks great covered with leather . Nice tie in with the gauge pod cover . Well done 👍
Old 03-11-2024, 07:15 AM
circuit.heart
Racer

My inbox utterly exploded after I posted the horseshoe and console delete pictures on social media. Awesome, but I was not prepared for 8hrs of inquiries from midnight till morning! So Saturday I basically died lol, recovered today and did some small things.

Bought the kit from 914 Rubber, really impressed by the fitment of everything but the LCD panel isn't as dark as stock. Still better than the spiderwebs on my old one so I'll replace the whole HVAC controls sometime later.

My Girodisc 340/325 kit came in! Very easy to slap in. Only caveat was that the PO apparently messed up installing the rear left parking brake shoes so I had to unbend the spring clip and resecure it. Never realized that's why I was getting a hot brakes smell at the end of every drive, even if I wasn't braking hard - now solved!

I didn't find them noticeably lighter than stock, but they are not heavier than stock. In full admission these are just for show car points, the 996 is my cruiser/casual road rally car and will never see the kind of brake temps my BMW does. Looks really nice though so job well done Girodisc.

The following 5 users liked this post by circuit.heart:
cavlino (03-11-2024), freddworks (03-11-2024), GC996 (03-11-2024), gtxracer (03-11-2024), plpete84 (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 02:49 PM
philPompili
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
That came out amazingly well.
Horseshoe looks absolutely fantastic veered in leather like that! Bravo!
TheChunkNorris (03-12-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 03:46 AM
circuit.heart
Racer

Well... after a bustling couple of days, all the new bodykit parts have been painted, coated in Rocklear, installed, and shown off at a high-profile cars and coffee effectively soft-launching my new brand. I'm gonna have to 1) sign up for site sponsorship soon I think and 2) get the title of this thread edited!

I know some folks had doubts about the 19" Titan7's, but they pair so well with the new bodywork.

The front lip came out fantastic, it actually fits better than the genuine Porsche Aerokit skirts. Doesn't hang super low like the TechArt lip either, haven't scraped it on anything. Those Girodiscs really pop from under the spokes, not super loud but clear as day this is a sports car.

I'm also happy to report that the lip makes non-negligible downforce, as the steering weight gets noticeably heavier than stock as you approach cruising speed.

The other original design was a lot more work to install - I forgot to pre-cut the mesh insert on a CNC waterjet so ended up hand-fitting it into the extremely tight confines of the rear spoiler. Worth it.

I'll put more pictures in the thread dedicated to this piece's development, long story short I'm stoked. The stock louvre panel when raised always looked like a lid someone left open. The new mesh + ducktail looks like an intentional spoiler when raised and a subtle OEM+ accent when retracted.

I love the distinct character shift now when the spoiler comes up.

Still have more to make, but progress looks good enough that I feel ready to go out, meet folks and share some of this stuff! See you guys soon at a PCA or Cars&Coffee meetup.
The following 6 users liked this post by circuit.heart:
freddworks (03-19-2024), GC996 (03-19-2024), gtxracer (03-19-2024), mchin (03-19-2024), Norocehcap (03-21-2024), plpete84 (03-19-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-19-2024, 04:11 AM
mchin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by circuit.heart
Still have more to make, but progress looks good enough that I feel ready to go out, meet folks and share some of this stuff! See you guys soon at a PCA or Cars&Coffee meetup.
This is next level. Happy for your build but I hope you can find a way to sell these parts to the community in a way that you find sustainable and enjoyable, because the things you’ve worked on so far go a long way to improving the car and many people will get enjoyment from them years from now.

I await news on the custom rack mounts in particular, but it’s all excellent stuff. I hope it’s been as fun as it looks.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:49 AM
philPompili
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

This looks absolutely fantastic. That car could have rolled off the line yesterday! Tasteful, elegant, and the stripe along the side makes it a nice tax write-off!

Quick Reply: BMSPEC 996 C2 - Restore, Enhance, Explore