Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Just picked up a 2003 40k mile 996 - now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 11:43 AM
fastrack1
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Congrats on the purchase. You will love the 996.2.

First thing I would do is enjoy the drive home and get to know the car by listening to everything and feel for everything on the drive. forget the radio. Your soundsystem is the car.

Second, I would take and oil sample when you get home and send it into speediagnostics to see what you have in your oil.

Third, I would organize the complete service history of the car to see what was done and when. This will tell you how many oil changes to what parts were replaced with what and when. This will allow you to develop a proactive or reactive hit list (depending on which mindset you have) to your next steps.

Next, I drop your sump and cut open your oil filter to see whats in both. Then i would scope the bores from the sump to see what you really have in your bores.

Then, assuming the bores look good and your oil test is good, I would then develop a hit list of service, part replacements etc. Based on the service history dates and procedures.

Bullet proof the engine first, then suspension, brakes, tires. Save the pretty stuff for last because it does nothing to keep the car running nor handling properly.

When bullet proofing the 996.2 would want to pay attention to the 4 key areas of catastrophic failure, all of which are easily mitigated.

1. AOS failure - can lead to intermix (coolant and oil mixing) as well as hydralock (cylinder cracking). Look at getting the UAOS track version as a replacement.
2. Water Pump Failure - can lead to a plastic fan blade bit breaking off and lodging in engine causing excessive heat and cylinder cracking. Replace the oem pump with another oem pump every 5-7 years and you should be golden.
3. IMSB Failure - you mentioned you had an LN IMSB. The question is which one and when was it put into the engine. If it was the Retro, you will have to replace it with a new one after ~7 years or so. If it's the Solution, you will never have to replace it.
4. BORE Scoring - assuming you dont have it after testing the oil and sump oriented borescope, then you need to employ a set of common sense procedures to prevent it. Sure, more frequent oil changes, fresh fuel injectors, common sense start up procedures are pretty easy to do if you are aware of them

A well serviced 996 and its M96 engine is very durable and can be enjoyed on the track and street. The more the previous owner did, the less you have to spend. Records are key and will fill in the roadmap. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Enjoy.
This was excessively helpful. Very much appreciate the detailed write up and will follow those instructions. Flying down to FL on Thursday and driving it back home. Super excited.
The following 4 users liked this post by fastrack1:
996-CAB (10-23-2023), GC996 (10-23-2023), Leedlast (10-27-2023), Porschetech3 (10-23-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 09:25 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,093 Posts

Originally Posted by fastrack1
This was excessively helpful. Very much appreciate the detailed write up and will follow those instructions. Flying down to FL on Thursday and driving it back home. Super excited.
Looking forward to hearing all about it. After nearly 22 years of ownership, I get just as excited when I walk into the garage and see the car and then drive it, as I did when I first bought it. These cars are aging extremely well.
The following users liked this post:
996-CAB (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 10:06 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,107 Likes on 579 Posts

Here are some steps you can take to help prevent bore scoring:

https://lnengineering.com/products/w...e-scoring.html

Also, since it was mentioned that the car possibly had an IMS Retrofit previously fitted, here is where you can look up your installation (if registered, by VIN or IMSB serial number) and when the bearing should be replaced:

https://imsretrofit.com/ims-check/

The following 2 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
GC996 (10-24-2023), Leedlast (10-27-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 10:19 AM
fastrack1
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Here are some steps you can take to help prevent bore scoring:

https://lnengineering.com/products/w...e-scoring.html

Also, since it was mentioned that the car possibly had an IMS Retrofit previously fitted, here is where you can look up your installation (if registered, by VIN or IMSB serial number) and when the bearing should be replaced:

https://imsretrofit.com/ims-check/
Thank you for that info. Unfortunately they did not register the IMS retrofit although there is receipts and an IN engineering sticker on the car. I spoke to IN to see if they happened to have it based on that serial number or VIN but they don't. I'm still pretty confident all is good on it. The prior owner was just not the type to register it or understand the importance. He didn't even know it was an issue until they recommended a replacement while the vehicle was being serviced for another issue. I did have it bore scoped but only by pulling the spark plugs which I realize is not the best method. Once I get it home this week, I will pull the sump and also have the oil tested.
Old 10-24-2023, 10:33 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,093 Posts

Thank you for that info. Unfortunately they did not register the IMS retrofit although there is receipts and an IN engineering sticker on the car. I spoke to IN to see if they happened to have it based on that serial number or VIN but they don't. I'm still pretty confident all is good on it. The prior owner was just not the type to register it or understand the importance. He didn't even know it was an issue until they recommended a replacement while the vehicle was being serviced for another issue. I did have it bore scoped but only by pulling the spark plugs which I realize is not the best method. Once I get it home this week, I will pull the sump and also have the oil tested.
Fastrack, just as a heads up, Charles Navarro is the owner of LN Engineering. Pretty good guy to get to know.
Old 10-24-2023, 01:41 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

So I just picked up a one owner no accident 2003 996 that is completely original. It has been well maintained and all necessary maintenance done but most parts on this car are now 20 yrs old.

What would you start upgrading or replacing first? Not necessarily for performance sake just for age sake? Maybe top 5 things I should deal with?

IMS and clutch have been done.
UAOS
IMS Solution when the time come up again
Old 10-24-2023, 07:23 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,325 Likes on 1,743 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
UAOS
IMS Solution when the time come up again

Appologies in advance to the op. Have to give bill some $hit everytime he pops back in.

Or just install a really nice new high hp motor right @808Bill . Hope all is well bill, weather is getting cold on the east coast....still need some help?

Quick Reply: Just picked up a 2003 40k mile 996 - now what?