996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The Unloved 911

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2023 | 01:01 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silver99six
Well, my exhaust is droopy. Must be the motor mounts…. I’ll be ordering the OEM clubsport mounts from FVD. I have some tolerance for increased NVH so I’m sure a semi-solid mount won’t bother me. Now I wonder how long shipping from Germany will be….

also I have a sweet United States Grand Prix license plate frame. It doesn’t match whatsoever, but it shall stay for now.
Car looks great. Congrats. Consider a set of REIN mounts. May save you some money, noise and vibration.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (10-07-2023)
Old 10-07-2023 | 03:51 AM
freddworks
Rennlist Member

Well, my exhaust is droopy. Must be the motor mounts…. I’ll be ordering the OEM clubsport mounts from FVD. I have some tolerance for increased NVH so I’m sure a semi-solid mount won’t bother me. Now I wonder how long shipping from Germany will be….

also I have a sweet United States Grand Prix license plate frame. It doesn’t match whatsoever, but it shall stay for now.
I got some Rennline Tunable semi solid, very happy with them.

Any more exterior modifications in the works?
Old 10-07-2023 | 08:39 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Great to see all the love you are giving your 996 these cars deserve it, I lived through the 1974-77 911s no one wanted look at values now, the 964 was considered totally ugly with impact bumpers look at values now, our fried egg cars are a great ride with AC that really works😀 and a nice tight vehicle. As an owner of 4 street 1999 996s, a 1999 996 race car, and a bit different 996 a 2000 Porsche SuperCup GT3 but it does have visual street 996 clues including fried egg headlights. Hang in there the more love you give the more love you get.
Rich

The following 6 users liked this post by uscarrera:
2mAn (10-09-2023), diddy2003 (10-07-2023), gtxracer (01-14-2024), igrip (06-29-2024), silver99six (10-08-2023), TheChunkNorris (11-06-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-2023 | 11:00 AM
diddy2003
Rennlist Member

@diddy2003 that looks great! Basically the look I am going for with the aerokit and stance. Few questions:
- How is the ride quality on RSS?
- Can I get away without the rear toe link kit?
- if not, is there a kit that isn't 75% the price of the coilovers that would suffice?

@plpete84 I like the twists, but you know when you see something for so long it just becomes normal after a while? Surely theres a word for it. Either way I like the motorsport-inspired two piece wheels. My next set of wheels will be something very silly and very japanese.
I have to test out all of these possible evap culprits! Thanks for sharing your situation. I'll try a charcoal canister first and work my way from there. I had a shop smoke test it and replace a few items but the light persists.
The issue with the lowered car is you can't correct camber with the rear upper control arms. Stock arms are fixed length. When the car is lowered, the stock length can't push the wheel out at the top to correct the camber. So, my stock arms limited me at -2.5 degrees rear camber. Sure, you could drive with the wheels like that, but it will burn up the inside tires pretty quickly. I just put on new 4s tires and I like going on road trips, so correcting camber was pretty important for me. From Phenix: When lowering your 996, it causes the toe and camber to change in the rear, resulting in reduction of contact patch of the tires as well as a drastic change to the thrust angle. This is unwanted and can result in the rear of the car always feeling like it is dancing around and might surprise the driver with snap over-steer at any moment. This makes for a tiresome drive as requiring the driver to continually correct the car to ensure it stays out of the bushes.
RSS:
The RSS Adjustable Rear Link Kit is the proper way to correct the rear suspension geometry of lowered 996 and 997 models when necessary. Greatly improves handling and feedback by removing rubber bushing deflection. Lowered vehicles with stock links may have additional negative camber in the rear which can prematurely wear out rear tires as the factory eccentric bolts do not offer enough adjustment to properly re-align the car to desired specifications. Vehicles that have not been lowered can also benefit from these components and experience better handling and control.

RSS, Demonspeed, and Phenix all make nice dog bones, but none are cheap. They are all $650-$1000 bucks. You can see the dog bones up top. Toe links at the bottom in this picture.

Toe links are different. Ideally, both are better. The stock cam design toe links suck. One of mine was actually frozen in place and had to be replaced anyway. They were designed to increase the range available over the stock cam style tie rods to aid in correcting the thrust angle on the rear of your lowered 996. Correcting the thrust angle aids in high speed stability, better tire wear and a much easier car to drive.

RSS Ride quality is great. Way better than H&R sport springs/B6s. I liked that setup, but it was hard compared to RSS. Very compliant ride. I've been very happy with them. I considered Ohlins and PSS10, but my buddy has used RSS for a while and loves them.

Regarding engine mounts, I have the RSS mounts. Very high build quality. Also, great people to deal with. Many people here use these mounts.
624 RSS Performance Engine Mounts - RSS / Road Sport Supply

Last edited by diddy2003; 10-07-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2023 | 11:15 PM
silver99six
Advanced

@GC996 I already pulled the trigger on OEM clubsport mounts from FVD. Thank you for the recc though!
Old 10-08-2023 | 11:18 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

@GC996 I already pulled the trigger on OEM clubsport mounts from FVD. Thank you for the recc though!
Good luck with it. Can't go wrong with FVD Brombacher. enjoying your thread!
silver99six (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023 | 11:19 PM
silver99six
Advanced

Originally Posted by freddworks
I got some Rennline Tunable semi solid, very happy with them.

Any more exterior modifications in the works?
Hopefully i can find a taco wing and skirts for the full aerokit look. Otherwise I need to refinish these wheels and calipers. I keep trying to find fresh "fried egg" lights with amber reflectors but theyre incredibly hard to find. Mine have melted the inside lens and look cloudy/ruined.
Old 10-08-2023 | 11:31 PM
silver99six
Advanced

@uscarrera Thank you for the kind words Rich, awesome cars you have there! This year was a big one for the 996 and it has risen in popularity. I think as it ages further and cars get even more disconnected they will continue to gain favorability from buyers who want a great sports car.

@diddy2003 Thanks for this write up! im going to have to go down the suspension rabbit hole. This is super helpful and a good starting point, especially sharing your own review of the H&R RSS coils. If im not lowering too much (1" max) then maybe I could get away without upgrading everything at once.
Old 11-05-2023 | 10:54 PM
silver99six
Advanced

Been almost a month since i've updated here. Haven't been driving since I needed the motor mounts. Finally got everything installed and WOW the car feels brand new. Total night/day difference on the ride quality and overall confidence in the car.
-H&R RSS coilovers installed with new OEM strut mounts
- FVD Clubsport motor mounts
- Poly bushing transmission mount

The new clubsport motor mounts are actually very calm. If you told me they were OEM i'd believe you. No noticeable increase in NVH but the car feels much "tighter".

Some quick photos from a random NYC parking garage. The car is at the highest setting recommended by H&R in the rear, but the front may need to be raised a little. It looks slammed but rides incredibly well and doesn't rub at all. My wheel fitment is really weak but Im digging this look for now:

I put about 100 miles on the car since picking it up and I have fallen in love with the car all over again. Things are finally starting to take shape. Next I need to get this GT3 bumper installed, some nice sportback seats (or maybe recaro?) and get an exhaust since it's incredibly quiet.
The following 4 users liked this post by silver99six:
diddy2003 (11-06-2023), EVOMMM (11-06-2023), freddworks (11-06-2023), TheChunkNorris (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023 | 06:45 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Car looks fantastic! Look at Fister D for the exhaust, it won’t attract too much attention under 4K rpm.
Old 11-06-2023 | 07:09 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Been almost a month since i've updated here. Haven't been driving since I needed the motor mounts. Finally got everything installed and WOW the car feels brand new. Total night/day difference on the ride quality and overall confidence in the car.
-H&R RSS coilovers installed with new OEM strut mounts
- FVD Clubsport motor mounts
- Poly bushing transmission mount

The new clubsport motor mounts are actually very calm. If you told me they were OEM i'd believe you. No noticeable increase in NVH but the car feels much "tighter".

Some quick photos from a random NYC parking garage. The car is at the highest setting recommended by H&R in the rear, but the front may need to be raised a little. It looks slammed but rides incredibly well and doesn't rub at all. My wheel fitment is really weak but Im digging this look for now:

I put about 100 miles on the car since picking it up and I have fallen in love with the car all over again. Things are finally starting to take shape. Next I need to get this GT3 bumper installed, some nice sportback seats (or maybe recaro?) and get an exhaust since it's incredibly quiet.
looks great, watch out for the NYC potholes 😀
Rich
silver99six (11-07-2023)
Old 11-06-2023 | 07:23 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Hey silver996 as a fellow NYC member I’m in Staten Island
I use my 99 as much as possible you’ll have be careful with any front lip you use I’ve already smashed a few lips and had to have my bumper redone
damn streets suck *****
I have the Ohlins and actually have raised it from the gt3 to the standard x71 ride height
Old 11-07-2023 | 10:45 PM
silver99six
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Car looks fantastic! Look at Fister D for the exhaust, it won’t attract too much attention under 4K rpm.
I just have such a hard time justifying $900 for something that looks/acts like my stock exhaust with a gundo. They are super high quality, idk maybe I will.
Old 11-07-2023 | 10:46 PM
silver99six
Advanced

Originally Posted by EVOMMM
Hey silver996 as a fellow NYC member I’m in Staten Island
I use my 99 as much as possible you’ll have be careful with any front lip you use I’ve already smashed a few lips and had to have my bumper redone
damn streets suck *****
I have the Ohlins and actually have raised it from the gt3 to the standard x71 ride height
Nice! I'm right in Queens off the belt pkwy. Pot holes have been kind to me this week but I do agree. Might need to raise the front a little bit, especially when I put the GT3 bumper on this winter (hopefully)
Old 11-08-2023 | 08:55 AM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

I just have such a hard time justifying $900 for something that looks/acts like my stock exhaust with a gundo. They are super high quality, idk maybe I will.
Local muffler shop charged me ~$150 to do it.

Quick Reply: The Unloved 911