Sponsored by:

(Probably Stupid) Battery Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 08:24 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default (Probably Stupid) Battery Questions

I need a new battery for my 2004 C4S cab. I’ve read through a ton of threads and have 3 questions:

1. Is there any good reason to buy an OEM battery over a Costco Interstate or other similar battery? I’ve always had a Porsche battery in the car but, for whatever reason, figured I’d check into whether it was really necessary before just following the same (stupid) routine. I can’t find any. Even an AGM from Interstate is cheaper than an OEM with no discernible benefit.

2. Is there any reason NOT to buy an AGM other than to save a few bucks? Unfortunately, while my Porsche is my daily from April to November, I don’t drive much now that I’m working from home so the car sits on a tender far more than I’d like, while my AMG just sits and looks at me angrily…also on a tender.

3. It seems like the right size is an H7. Does that seem correct?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

-Eric

Old 08-30-2023, 08:44 PM
996-CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts

Electrical engineer here. You do not need to use the Porsche battery. The Costco option is fine. There are only two or three Western, lead acid battery makers anymore and they are all making pretty much the same thing. AGM batteries are a step up from traditional, but doesn't really matter whose name is on the outside. I am currently running a Die Hard platinum AGM and it replaced the Porsche product.
The following 2 users liked this post by 996-CAB:
brontosaurus (08-30-2023), Sue Esponte (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 09:10 PM
sfapsey
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I was told by a Costco employee that they dont check the batteries if returned within the warranty period. They just replace them so as long as you bring them back within the warranty period would replace them at no cost. I have not tried that but curious is anyone else has. I purchased Costco battery for my 996 and Macan. The Macan battery was rather expensive, but they have both beer reliable.
The following users liked this post:
Sue Esponte (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 09:12 PM
2002C2
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

And to answer your other question, yes the H7 fits if you move the hold down over one bolt hole (from an H6).
Sue Esponte (08-30-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 12:13 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by 996-CAB
Electrical engineer here. You do not need to use the Porsche battery. The Costco option is fine. There are only two or three Western, lead acid battery makers anymore and they are all making pretty much the same thing. AGM batteries are a step up from traditional, but doesn't really matter whose name is on the outside. I am currently running a Die Hard platinum AGM and it replaced the Porsche product.
+1. I went Costco/Interstate 6.75 years ago and chose a smaller battery than what can fit. Been great.

An AntiGravity battery is going to offer built-in jump starts and lower weight
Old 08-31-2023, 01:29 PM
Rockerchief
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 62 Posts

I’m using AntiGravity’s in all 3 of my 911’s. Love them. Yes they are expensive, but the lack of angst on whether it will start is worth it. Mine rotate and one gets driven daily for a week then it swaps to the top of the lift for the other one to be driven. The third is always on the bottom and she goes out every other day or so between my wife and I.
blacksquid (08-31-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 12:07 PM
KentBigDog
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockerchief
I’m using AntiGravity’s in all 3 of my 911’s. Love them. Yes they are expensive, but the lack of angst on whether it will start is worth it. Mine rotate and one gets driven daily for a week then it swaps to the top of the lift for the other one to be driven. The third is always on the bottom and she goes out every other day or so between my wife and I.
I use an AntiGravity battery in my race car. Considering one for my 996 weekend driver. Which are you running in your 911s? The H6 battery, ATX-30, or something else?
Old 09-01-2023, 12:12 PM
Rockerchief
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by KentBigDog
I use an AntiGravity battery in my race car. Considering one for my 996 weekend driver. Which are you running in your 911s? The H6 battery, ATX-30, or something else?
the H6 group 48 :-)
KentBigDog (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 06:03 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KentBigDog
That makes sense. If your batter in the typical location (up in front and high up in the car)?
Old 09-01-2023, 06:08 PM
KentBigDog
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep, high up in the front. The other nice thing about the AntiGravity batteries besides being so lightweight, they have a Restart button that will allow you to start the car even if the battery runs down. They have circuitry that won't let the battery discharge to zero.
Old 09-01-2023, 07:28 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 985 Likes on 546 Posts

Thank you for the mention gentleman...just as an FYI for any who are interested..the Labor Day Weekend sales event is currently active as well.

Best regards,
Meko16 (09-07-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 03:12 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
+1. I went Costco/Interstate 6.75 years ago and chose a smaller battery than what can fit. Been great.
So, I installed the Costco/Interstate AGM in my car and it threw a CEL with a PO301 code (cylinder 1 misfire).

I initially attributed the issue to the fuel in a relatively low tank since the car had been sitting for about a month but, even after refueling, the car continued to sputter and run unevenly. I drove it directly home, shut it down, re-attached the the charger (which seemed to show a lower than 25% charge), and let it sit for a day. I erased the code this morning, took off the charger, and took it for a drive.

It drove flawlessly.

The battery has a June 2023 date on it so it's not like it's been sitting for 6 months. I'm not sure if I should be pissed at Costco, Interstate...myself? Either way, I'm happy it seems to be fixed. I'm just not sure if I should be worried about the battery...or if there's still a looming issue with the coil. I barely have time to drive it right now, let alone get under it, and I'm not inclined to bring it in just for Porsche to tell me it's all good. So, until its normal service time...fingers crossed.

-Eric
wdb (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 06:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
So, I installed the Costco/Interstate AGM in my car and it threw a CEL with a PO301 code (cylinder 1 misfire).

I initially attributed the issue to the fuel in a relatively low tank since the car had been sitting for about a month but, even after refueling, the car continued to sputter and run unevenly. I drove it directly home, shut it down, re-attached the the charger (which seemed to show a lower than 25% charge), and let it sit for a day. I erased the code this morning, took off the charger, and took it for a drive.

It drove flawlessly.

The battery has a June 2023 date on it so it's not like it's been sitting for 6 months. I'm not sure if I should be pissed at Costco, Interstate...myself? Either way, I'm happy it seems to be fixed. I'm just not sure if I should be worried about the battery...or if there's still a looming issue with the coil. I barely have time to drive it right now, let alone get under it, and I'm not inclined to bring it in just for Porsche to tell me it's all good. So, until its normal service time...fingers crossed.

-Eric
June 2023 could mean it has sat there for months without a charge. I try to look for batteries that are a month old, but that’s no so easy to do. I would just chalk this up to a battery than needed a charge. I never see batteries on chargers/maintainers on those shelves.

They probably should do something for you at Costco. Maybe hit up customer service and see if they have any pity on you at all. Maybe they will give you something for your troubles.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:50 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 395 Likes on 293 Posts

Since you disconnected the battery the car does have some minor re-learning to do.
Mine takes about 5-10 minutes to relax and start running clean again. (I let it idle for like 5 then drive it gently around the block.)
After that a couple 20 minute drives and its usually all back to normal.

The car does some resetting that requires turning off let cool restart to get some if the OBD smog stuff happy.
No run-ability issues are usually noticed. Unless you get smog checked within about 20 drive cycles of reconnecting the battery.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:44 PM
riceball
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I went with a Interstate MTX-94R/H7

I went to Interstate battery directly and purchased their MTX-94R/H7.

I'm happy with it and it has worked great. So far no issues. It is on the heavier side, but it holds enough charge for me. I listen to my aftermarket radio in the car with the engine off every now and than. (Working on the car, detailing the car or waiting in the parking lot) Haven't seen it drain to the point it where it doesn't start back up yet.

My 2 cents...
911Dreamer (04-02-2024)

Quick Reply: (Probably Stupid) Battery Questions