Sponsored by:

Opinions on downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 02:49 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by philbert996
I’ve never heard of blipping the throttle on the upshift but if you enjoy it why not

Most of the time I’ll downshift coming to a stop.
UNLESS there’s someone behind me.
Most drivers today don’t understand the manual transmission. Slowing down without your brake lights coming on can be dangerous.

He’s a racer, there’s no time for fun.
It’s serious business when you have a big wing, helmet and gloves.
There’s no time for frivolity when you’re living your life one lap at a time.
Because if he’s not first, he’s last.
Double Clutching, on upshift (as opposed to double DE-clutching on downshift) is and was common practice for manual transmission in vehicles of all types.But there's no need to blip the throttle when DE-clutching, in fact, it's a bad idea. Why would you want faster engine revs when the gearbox is moving slower. No no no.

Sometime else in the thread told me and argues that there's no need to double DE-clutch in a 996, that the balk and Synchromesh take care of it. Implying that when the clutch is pressed in, blipping the throttle somehow manages to match the transaxle / final drive to the engine revs. I fail to see how. If the clutch is depressed, then the transaxle is not spinning up to match the engine rev. Simply blipping the throttle can't do what's needed, which is to match the drive to engine revs. There's no connection. Instead, clutch in, neutral, clutch out, blip, clutch in, downshift, clutch out. Done correctly there's no damage or friction created heat, and no stress on the entire drivetrain. Importantly, double DE-clutching does not unsettle the car on corner entry.
It will be hard to convince me that double DE-clutching is unnecessary. And it's also hard to unlearn decades of practice. Some posts here make me wonder if commonly, the accepted heel n toe is missing the double DE-clutching.
Either that, or I am patently wrong 😎, and in the 70s, we all learned to do it wrong. I'm skeptical 💭💭💭... But go on, convince me. Or, take 30 minutes for
. And come over to the dark side.
The following users liked this post:
Frankie V. (10-01-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 04:26 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 107 Posts

Deleted. It was not a very good contribution to the forum.

Last edited by 911Syncro; 08-31-2023 at 09:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911Syncro:
2002C2 (10-16-2023), pdxmotorhead (08-31-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 08:37 AM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

I knew from the very first post of this thread that it was going to be akin to motor oil and paint protection threads. It didn't disappoint.

Quick Reply: Opinions on downshifting