996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Driven DI40 / DT40 & pca Video

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2024, 05:03 PM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for that heads up! Just ordered some DI50.
Old 06-02-2024, 05:39 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 964 Posts

Just ordered my 3 cases I’m good for 2 years
Old 06-02-2024, 10:37 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 737 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Scalp_em
FYI looks like Driven has a 20% off sale going on until 6/3 :

Thanks. Was hoping I could order it from LN with this discount code since Driven's website says to go to LN for any Porsche application, but it looks like the discount only works on Driven's website. Will be ordering from there.
Old 06-03-2024, 04:36 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
With respect to DI50, is the 15W cold viscosity an issue? Technically a 15W should be good down to -13F and erroring on the side of conservatism it can still be very cold and it would still flow well. Probably not a great idea to do cold starts with this engine in such low temps to avoid bore scoring in the first place but that aside and just playing devil's advocate, are there any caveats to running DI50 in these cars year round like in the winter? For the air-cooled engines I know 15W is pretty typical but curious your thoughts on the water-cooled.
If it was me, I'd use DT40 or DI40 at or below freezing and just use the DT50 or DI50 for the warmer months if your ambient air temps are regularly over 90F. That's the same rule of thumb for viscosity we have always used on aircooled models.

p.s. Huge mistake showing my wife the pictures of your Airstream. She LOVES it and now all I'm hearing about is how she wants one just like it LOL
At least you know they hold their resale value :-)

Last edited by Charles Navarro; 06-03-2024 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Glitch
Old 06-03-2024, 04:53 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterp
Thanks. Was hoping I could order it from LN with this discount code since Driven's website says to go to LN for any Porsche application, but it looks like the discount only works on Driven's website. Will be ordering from there.
I was not aware of this promo. I added the SICK20 code to the LN website which will apply to DT40 and DI40 and also provide free shipping.
The following 6 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
996love (06-03-2024), amargari (06-06-2024), GC996 (06-03-2024), peterp (06-03-2024), Scalp_em (06-03-2024), wdb (06-04-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-03-2024, 05:03 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
[QUOTE}p.s. Huge mistake showing my wife the pictures of your Airstream. She LOVES it and now all I'm hearing about is how she wants one just like it LOL
At least you know they hold their resale value :-)[/QUOTE]

Haha yes but I won’t tell her that . Sorry to be annoying, I am on my phone right now but it looks like your response about 15W got corrupted or cut off? Was curious the answer. Thank you for all the information and advancements you have provided this community and platform.
Old 06-03-2024, 05:15 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Sorry to be annoying, I am on my phone right now but it looks like your response about 15W got corrupted or cut off? Was curious the answer. Thank you for all the information and advancements you have provided this community and platform.
Thanks for letting me know. It's fixed. We are having internet issues in the office today.
The following users liked this post:
Einsteiger (06-04-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 11:27 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,786 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Another fascinating video by Lake. There is alot to chew on as a result of his testing.

He did the testing with Driven GPI in a LS, the results confirm many points that have been made on why we may want to consider running heavier oil in our car in warm weather environments. No testing was done in extreme cold environments. But you can draw some lines in this one.

He also shows analysis on the advantage of pre-filling oil filters if using lower weight oil vs. heavier oil. All of which is ties into oil pressure, HP and engine wear.

Its worth your time to watch.

Last edited by GC996; 06-08-2024 at 12:07 PM.
EVOMMM (06-08-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 11:41 AM
SARNODUDE
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

A lot of the MR2 turbo community swear by 5W40 Rotella T6, which has high zinc content. It's also reasonably priced at Walmart.
[ This was intended to be a response for the gent who owns the Audi TT..I am running Driven DI40 in my 996 ]

Last edited by SARNODUDE; 06-08-2024 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-08-2024, 12:02 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SARNODUDE
A lot of the MR2 turbo community swear by 5W40 Rotella T6, which has high zinc content. It's also reasonably priced at Walmart.
[ This was intended to be a response for the gent who owns the Audi TT..I am running Driven DI40 in my 996 ]
If you mean me I do own a Audi Q5 2.0T and folks sometimes think "silver_tt" is for an Audi TT but I chose the name long ago for my Porsche Mezger 996TT I am also running DI40 for many years...

Another good video by Lake... confirms what I already knew but I agree with Lake's approach in testing and proving his ideas. Kudos to Lake.

Last edited by silver_tt; 06-13-2024 at 10:33 PM.
SARNODUDE (06-08-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 09:31 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
It's been years since I had any feedback from someone running this oil, but if memory serves me, oil consumption started to increase after about 1500-2000 miles with the restore oil.
I am observing similar. As I approached the end of my first 1,500 mile OCI the oil consumption increased and it appears to have persisted into the second OCI to the point where I started wondering if this thing is playing head games with me. I must have an oil leak I thought. But I put it up on a lift yesterday, dropped the splash shield, and the engine is not leaking. What the... but then I remembered you said this. I wonder what the reason is that oil consumption increases. This is counterintuitive in that one might expect if rings are being freed up, then ring seal is improving, and therefore oil consumption should be decreasing all else equal.

It's not that important if you don't know because I will see for myself soon enough but did you have previous feedback on when the consumption subsided? I am just wondering if this is somehow an indication the oil is doing its job -- and specifically if two 1,500 OCIs is going to be enough or if I should consider a third while I am on the chemistry of the Restore. As you know there is always a period of cross-contamination when you switch oils so if I was going to run a 3rd OCI this next one would be the time to do it before moving back to DI40 for good as I had been on previously.

Thanks again for all the information you have given this community and me personally. You know we appreciate it.

EDIT: Talked to Lake this morning and if needed I will run a 3rd OCI to total 5,000 miles on the Restore.

Last edited by silver_tt; 06-29-2024 at 04:10 PM.
996love (06-26-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 01:44 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 133 Posts

Another very useful thread filled with great info from knowledgeable owners.

Thank you

vetfever
peterp (07-02-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 12:14 AM
MRDRBX
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic thread. Thanks for all the great info. It’s my first post here and looking for some advice. I purchased my 2012 Boxter Black Ed one year ago from a FL Porsche dealer with a 2 year CPO warranty. Cars been great and my local dealer has provided some warranty repairs, mainly the HVAC box R&R due to breakdown of the foam lining. I stored the car for 5 months with the oil installed by the Porsche dealer in June 2023 just before purchase. I’d only put about 1700 miles on it. Upon retrieval from storage I had a local Inde do an OC and asked if they’d at least pull a plug or two and look for scoring. They did the OC (they use Fuchs Titan Supersyn 0w-40) but returned the car without pulling any plugs. Their excuse was that they didn’t want to do something that might cause a misfire or other problem. I realize the proper way to check is to look through the sump anyway..

I don’t have any worrisome symptoms of scoring, but I’d like to check, at least while I still have the warranty in force. I did send the oil to Blackstone, see report, for UOA. Maybe better to use speed diag?? I posted it at Bobistheoilguy and someone replied about the viscosity being really low. And it is. I assume that the dealer who sold the car uses M1, but will see if I can verify. This analysis doesn’t show fuel dilution, but it may be that Blackstone does not have the equipment to properly evaluate this. I’m currently doing the aforementioned fuel additive process using Techron. I’m using 91 ethanol free top tier Mobil gas exclusively. I will definitely do an OC right before winter storage this year wUOA..

On the oil. Should I sample some now to check Viscosity? Do another OC with a UOA and switch to a better oil? At 79k I think I want to use something like a 50 weight or DI40 or anything with Moly in it. I’m not sure if using an unapproved oil might run afoul of the warranty if things go south. Take a look at this analysis and let me know your thoughts. I guess another easy check would be to look at fuel trims to see if that’s not in spec. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MRDRBX; 07-14-2024 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2024, 09:35 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

The oil in the UOA above is likely the API SP rated M1 0W-40 "European Car Formula" and, just like the original formula, it is right on the cusp of being a SAE 30 grade straight out of the bottle and with use it shears down badly as you can see in your sample. 9.86 cSt is a SAE 30 grade.. DI40 would be more like ~14.0 cSt, which isn't too far off from a SAE 50 grade, plus it holds its viscosity in much longer OCIs. Your wear metals are high considering the sample is just 1,735 miles but the oil is also poor. I see you also added half a quart during this OCI, if you added a different type of oil there will be some cross contamination. I would switch to DI40 if it doesn't violate your CPO -- for example I believe GC996 said he asked his dealer this about one or more of his cars and they were ok with it, would not violate his terms, etc.

I don't know the 2012 Boxster that well having never owned one but I believe it uses the 9A1 engine which cannot be scoped from the sump (you are correct for M9x sump is always the best). For 9A1 you can use the spark plug holes and a proper oil analysis will likely tell you everything you need to know even in isolation. I actually think oil analysis is the best way to detect bore scoring on these engines due to the fact that most mechanics out there, even dealer mechanics or Porsche indys, do not know how to do the bore scoping procedure correctly including not having the training/experience in reading the images. In the 997 forum I have seen this countless times including a recent debate about a "cracked cylinder" that was not cracked. If your indy didn't pull the plugs because they said they are afraid it could give you a misfire, this information alone tells me they are not comfortable performing the procedure and I likely wouldn't trust their assessment anyway.
Old 07-14-2024, 12:20 PM
MRDRBX
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil in the UOA above is likely the API SP rated M1 0W-40 "European Car Formula" and, just like the original formula, it is right on the cusp of being a SAE 30 grade straight out of the bottle and with use it shears down badly as you can see in your sample. 9.86 cSt is a SAE 30 grade.. DI40 would be more like ~14.0 cSt, which isn't too far off from a SAE 50 grade, plus it holds its viscosity in much longer OCIs. Your wear metals are high considering the sample is just 1,735 miles but the oil is also poor. I see you also added half a quart during this OCI, if you added a different type of oil there will be some cross contamination. I would switch to DI40 if it doesn't violate your CPO -- for example I believe GC996 said he asked his dealer this about one or more of his cars and they were ok with it, would not violate his terms, etc.

I don't know the 2012 Boxster that well having never owned one but I believe it uses the 9A1 engine which cannot be scoped from the sump (you are correct for M9x sump is always the best). For 9A1 you can use the spark plug holes and a proper oil analysis will likely tell you everything you need to know even in isolation. I actually think oil analysis is the best way to detect bore scoring on these engines due to the fact that most mechanics out there, even dealer mechanics or Porsche indys, do not know how to do the bore scoping procedure correctly including not having the training/experience in reading the images. In the 997 forum I have seen this countless times including a recent debate about a "cracked cylinder" that was not cracked. If your indy didn't pull the plugs because they said they are afraid it could give you a misfire, this information alone tells me they are not comfortable performing the procedure and I likely wouldn't trust their assessment anyway.
Thank you for responding! Excellent info for me. The 1/2qt I added was M1 0w-40 and I am going to call the selling dealership tomorrow to inquire about what they use. Not really sure about the Fuchs oil the Inde uses either. Is speed diagnostix a better quality analysis for my situation? I guess I’ll call the dealership to inquire about using something like DI40 although I doubt they would check or know the oils provenance if there were an issue with the motor at some point. Maybe that’s naive on my part. I don’t like that Si was above expected either..

So just to confirm, if in fact the sample was M1 that viscosity wouldn’t be too far from what’s expected, even though the reports expected values are above 11cSt?

On the plus side, I was able to determine the previous owner who had the car for 10 years. I joined the PCA and emailed her as she is the local Chapter President. Hours later she called me and then offered to send me copies of all the service records which I now have. She took great care of the vehicle.

I will start looking for another mechanic in my area and also see if I can verify the ability to see the cylinder bottoms through the sump in this engine. Appreciate the response…

Quick Reply: Driven DI40 / DT40 & pca Video