Sponsored by:

Oil Starvation Kit from Brey Krause

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 06:48 PM
JakeMate
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Starvation Kit from Brey Krause

What do you guys think of this kit that helps with the oil starvation issue on 996 and Boxster?

Brey Krause Oil Kit
Old 05-19-2004, 01:28 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Some folks believe that tracked 996's are susceptible to oil starvation while others are not convinced. Are you a believer and how much do you need to spend to get peace of mind? I for one am going to avoid the BK oil kit until someone shows me definitive proof that 996 engines are failing because of oil starvation on the track. I'll spend the money saved on an extra day at the track instead.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Is the fact that Porsche Motorsports offered an oiling modification kit for the 996 proof enough for you? The problem was supposedly with cars running slicks and sustained high G turns so you might not experience the problem except on a roval. If I had a regular 996 I'd consider the BK kit as cheap insurance.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by Steve in FL
Is the fact that Porsche Motorsports offered an oiling modification kit for the 996 proof enough for you? The problem was supposedly with cars running slicks and sustained high G turns so you might not experience the problem except on a roval. If I had a regular 996 I'd consider the BK kit as cheap insurance.
The kit from Porsche motorsports was for the 3.4 L. There is no kit for the 3.6L. And there lies the controversy. Does the 3.6L need one, or has it been improved from the 3.4L that it doesn't need one? The X51 powerkit has been modified for oil starvation, so does that mean the 3.6L non-powerkit should get one if you track?

I think there is enough to suggest that the 3.6L does NOT need an oil starvation kit unless you plan to go all out racing. You'd need a totally different engine anyway for all out racing. Certainly, if there is indeed a problem, I do not believe simply increasing the sump capacity, which is all the BK kit does, will solve the problem. Since you have the 3.4L, Jake, and if you are worried about oil starvation because you drive hard on slicks, I'd rather get the real deal oil starvation kit and not the BK kit.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:31 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Eric you already have a starvation kit on your X51 engine, it's the best thing about the kit that they don't advertise.
Jake, I'm with Palting, get the kit from PMNA if you want protection. The kit includes new oil pan with aluminum baffle, new oil pickup tube and a new 4-6 scavenge pump. The 4-6 cam cover will also need to be machined slightly by PMNA. The kit costs about $1300 for the parts. The BK kit is a new take on an old, old drag racing technique to avoid starvation.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:46 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Oops, I did forget the X51 oil system modifications. That said I've spoken to several Porsche race shops regarding the oil starvation issue. They've not seen it in a 3.6 L engine. I didn't ask about 3.4 L. Doug and Palting have some excellent information and comments for those with these engines and the price seams cheap versus a new engine (less than most of us have put into our suspensions alone!).

I'll be interested in what Porsche has done for the 997 to address many of its loyal customers' concerns.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:10 PM
JakeMate
Racer

I don't think I need it for what I'm doing yet. Posted more out of general interest, to get opinions, and to show others who may need it.

On a somewhat separate topic, can someone explain how the 996 is different than a true dry sump?
Old 05-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know the part number for the oil starvation kit for the 3.4? I am considering getting it installed soon.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:53 PM
sly
Instructor

I don't think it's much of an issue unless you track your car. I noticed that when I corner a 996 at the limits on the track, the oil pressure falls from 5 to 1 momentarily. The 993 has a dry sump so there's no problem with that model.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:03 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pour in another 1/2 quart of oil.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by sly
I don't think it's much of an issue unless you track your car. I noticed that when I corner a 996 at the limits on the track, the oil pressure falls from 5 to 1 momentarily. The 993 has a dry sump so there's no problem with that model.
Someone else also reported that problem. However, I've run the 3.6L 996 pretty hard on the track, sliding around on R-compounds, and the oil pressure stays up there. No dipping to the 1's. There's also a Rennlister who has a 996 race car, a '99 therefore a 3.4L, who has no problems at all with the stock engine. I am sure there MAY be oil starvation problems to the right bank on the 3.4L on long looping right handers taken while on slicks since it has been reported. But, if the oil pressure dips when on street tires or R-compounds, it may be a problem wth individual car and not the 996 in general.

Gives me an excuse to post a video , just in case anyone questions how hard the 996 can take a corner on R compounds TURNS
Old 05-22-2004, 12:14 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I just don't know 1/2 quart extra doesn't seem a whole lot but in terms of tracking myabe full on racing better insurance to do something with oil starvation(I think once you get to that level I've seen custom full dry sump kits on the like's of mustangs/corvettes but man very expensive I think) but with DE's I don't think it's really necessary. I've gone countless times on the track and never had issues with oil pressure drops(maybe I don't go to tracks with long sweeping right handers : )). 3.4 versus 3.6- other then being faster it should have better oiling channels it's putting out more power. Regards. Mike
Old 05-22-2004, 12:45 PM
eV23
3rd Gear

Originally posted by sly
http://forums1.roadfly.org/porsche/f...5111523-1.html

I've not experienced this so I am still not convinced...
Old 05-22-2004, 09:08 PM
sly
Instructor

I've not experienced this so I am still not convinced...

Hey, if you guys haven't experienced the drop in oil pressure, it's a non-issue for you. So don't worry and enjoy your Porsche driving experience.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:22 PM
pete01_996
Instructor

FYI,

Preliminary reports are that I have toasted a connecting rod bearing due to oil starvation on my 99. I'll let you know what I find out when the engine is opened up. The engine has 74.4K on it and has been tracked for at least 12 days by both my wife and I.

I was running the car pretty hard but was on street tires {S03's} as always. I was occasionally pulling 1G for short 1 second periods to the right and 2 second periods to the left just prior to the engine failing. But maybe most damaging? was a long right hand turning carousel that I pulled about .9 G's for 3-4 seconds.

I had NOT made the oil starvation fix to the engine based on the widely held belief that if you're on non-R compound street tires, don't worry about it. So I guess my advice is, if you're tracking it, and you're running it pretty hard, get it fixed.

Quick Reply: Oil Starvation Kit from Brey Krause