Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

splitting the case on a stand without Porsche yoke?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 05:56 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts
Default splitting the case on a stand without Porsche yoke?

So I'm getting ready to take the engine apart for timing chain replacement.
it looks like having it on an engine stand makes it much more comfortable. I know that there is a yoke available, but it's not going to work for me.
I have one of these, which I absolutely love, as it makes the task of rotating the engine effortless and very safe, but will not be able to except the yoke.

So the question I have is, will I be able to safely rotate and work on the engine if I will move 2 of the arms from points 1 and 2 to points 3 and 4?

Last edited by meirschwartz; 04-02-2023 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:51 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

I can post a pic on how the yoke mounts tomorrow morning if that helps.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:52 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltusler
I can post a pic on how the yoke mounts tomorrow morning if that helps.
that would be great.
thanks.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:02 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 714 Likes on 445 Posts

This is how the yoke is mounted. The "rim" of the yoke contacts the edge of the case and provides strength while the bolts pull the case up against the rim of the yoke. Therefore, it allows the engine rest on the yoke with only 2 bolts. This is the reason why I bought the $500 yoke. I also have one for the air cool (which works with the medger engine). What you have will put very large break away loads at the hole where the bolts attach to the case. Depending on how much stuff is still attached to the engine when you have only 2 bolts attached, it may do some damage.

Old 04-02-2023, 09:01 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Thanks yelcab, that makes sense. the problem is all the yokes I can find online comes with a center shaft that feats to the engine stand.
in my case, the shaft is not removable.
I assume that the left bolt in your picture is being removed when you are ready to split that case, and the engine stays connected with the other 2 shown on the right side of the picture.
I was thinking to keep it connected with 4 bolts at all times. The engine is completely stripped from accessories and the plan was:
1. remove both heads.
2. suspend the engine with the shop crane to remove the load from the engine stand.
3. disconnect and relocate arm1 and 2 to positions 3 and 4.
4. reverse the process before installing the heads.
I'm hoping that someone did that before and can confirm it's no issue.
My other option is to get something like that, but I guess that will need to be custom-made as I couldn't find one that fits the M96.

Last edited by meirschwartz; 04-02-2023 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:09 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

I used a regular engine stand like yours without the Porsche yoke. I was able to attach 4 bolts to the case though, and I used fairly large flat washers at the connection points - I wouldn’t chance it with only 2 bolts holding… good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by dporto:
amargari (04-04-2023), JohnCA58 (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 09:57 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
I used a regular engine stand like yours without the Porsche yoke. I was able to attach 4 bolts to the case though, and I used fairly large flat washers at the connection points - I wouldn’t chance it with only 2 bolts holding… good luck.
4 bolts definitely. E,F,G and H.

whe you say you used large washers, do you mean between the arms and the case?
Old 04-02-2023, 10:37 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 714 Likes on 445 Posts

I am working mostly by myself so I need the engine stand AND the engine crane during the process of separating the one half from the other. You are correct, when I am ready to pop the one side off, I hooked up the engine crane, then removed the third bolt (only had 3 on there) and the remaining two bolts hold the second half and all the weight of the crank shaft, crank case, and pistons. Then I put the lifted half case down, connected the engine crane to the crank shaft/crank case and lifted that combo off the other case half still on the stand.

You might get away with it. The half case and the crank shaft with its case weigh about 100 lbs. That might be light enough for the engine case to not break. But, that is a chance you have to decide on.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:37 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yelcab
I am working mostly by myself so I need the engine stand AND the engine crane during the process of separating the one half from the other. You are correct, when I am ready to pop the one side off, I hooked up the engine crane, then removed the third bolt (only had 3 on there) and the remaining two bolts hold the second half and all the weight of the crank shaft, crank case, and pistons. Then I put the lifted half case down, connected the engine crane to the crank shaft/crank case and lifted that combo off the other case half still on the stand.

You might get away with it. The half case and the crank shaft with its case weigh about 100 lbs. That might be light enough for the engine case to not break. But, that is a chance you have to decide on.
thanks for the detailed explanation.
I ordered 2 additional “fingers” from summit racing. I’m considering grinding the powder coating and welding braces between the fingers.
I'm thinking 5/8 thick and 2” wide, seating against the case. Not going to be pretty as the dedicated yoke, but should do the same job.
I’ll see whe I have the extra fingers on hand.

Last edited by meirschwartz; 04-02-2023 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:16 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

when you say you used large washers, do you mean between the arms and the case?”

Yes - to spread the load out around the bolt/sleeve (where the sleeve contacts the case).
The following users liked this post:
meirschwartz (04-03-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 12:12 AM
amargari
Racer

Received 416 Likes on 163 Posts

I was able to do this using all 4 arms on bank 1. I was lucky and the trans dowels fit in the posts giving extra support.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:29 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amargari
I was able to do this using all 4 arms on bank 1. I was lucky and the trans dowels fit in the posts giving extra support.

Thanks a lot.
this is very helpful.
I didn’t think about the dowels giving extra support.
The ID of the fingers is 16mm so it fits over the dowels perfectly. When I installed the fingers I used an aluminum insert (16mm OD and 12mm ID) inside it For the 2 fingers going over the dowels. I cut the insert 20 mm short, so it fits perfectly.
im still going to add large washers like dporto suggested. Just for peace of mind.

Last edited by meirschwartz; 04-04-2023 at 11:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
amargari (04-06-2023)

Quick Reply: splitting the case on a stand without Porsche yoke?