996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Power Mods - Recs Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 01:13 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Assuming you go with headers, cats, mufflers, software, IPD, TB from solid companies, you will spend nearly $9k in parts not counting labor for anywhere between 10-30 hp and ~10-15 tq, say the vendors. Alot of money. Just make sure you have refreshed your engine first by replacing all of the key parts before you spend the money on performance enhancement parts. Last thing you want is a shiny new set of bits and the engine doesn't run. Engine first, exhaust and suspension second.

If you want a recomendation on what company to start with, my recomendation is to go with FVD. They have teamed up with M&M who manufactures the exhaust systems for Porsche Motosports as well as races our engines thru Brombacher in Europe. What this means is they know what they are doing to extract performance in the M96 as well as water cooled naturally aspirated porsche universe.

Not to mention that I have found their components to be durable as he'll. Still using the FVD 200 cell cats and mufflers after 15 years and they are still solid and working perfectly. Yes, I am sure there are other good brands to look at as well.

15 years ago when I put on the FVD exhaust, no exhaust manufacturer had figured out a header design to add any incremental performance improvement. A number of years ago M&M did. My next exhaust upgrade will be the FVD M&M headers once I am finishing refreshing my cooling system and adding the UIDS. One step at a time.

If you are looking for just one exhaust improvement to make for performance, add 200 cell cats to your car. A good set will run you between 2-3k. But to the point of many on this thread. The m96 is naturally aspirated. This means that big gains are very difficult. Small incremental gains can be had, but its expensive.

Make your engine bullet proof first. good luck.

Last edited by GC996; 03-09-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:26 PM
Mr.Mike111
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdsarch
I recommend Soul performance headers, IPD Plenum, 997 airbox, sport cats (I have FVD but many options), deep sump kit, X51 baffle, GT3 seats, FSI stage II.
What does the deep sump kit and baffle do?
Old 03-09-2023, 02:39 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,287 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Mike111
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...stability.html

If the thinking is they will solve oil pressure drops on track, there is no data that says they will and a lot that says they wont’t.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:30 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

It was a solution developed back in the early 2000s used to help mitigate oil starvation that occured on the track. The sumps were originally 0.5 to 0.75 qts and then increased to 2 qts to hold extra oil. At the time, track guys also replaced their oem aos with the motorsports aos to better handle the extra 0.5 to 2.0 qts of extra oil.

Over the last few years, more advanced solutions have been developed such as the UAOS to replace the oem & motorsports aos as well as UIDS which is designed to add another layer of oil starvation mitigation above the deep sump in high G situations on the track. Testing of a new baffle in the UIDS is about to begin.

See UAOS (Ultimate Air Oil Seperator) and UIDS (Ultimate Integrated Dry Sump) threads for more information.
The following users liked this post:
EVOMMM (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 03:31 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by mdsarch
I recommend Soul performance headers, IPD Plenum, 997 airbox, sport cats (I have FVD but many options), deep sump kit, X51 baffle, GT3 seats, FSI stage II.
How much is FSI Stage II?
Old 03-09-2023, 04:25 PM
Mr.Mike111
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GC996
It was a solution developed back in the early 2000s used to help mitigate oil starvation that occured on the track. The sumps were originally 0.5 to 0.75 qts and then increased to 2 qts to hold extra oil. At the time, track guys also replaced their oem aos with the motorsports aos to better handle the extra 0.5 to 2.0 qts of extra oil.

Over the last few years, more advanced solutions have been developed such as the UAOS to replace the oem & motorsports aos as well as UIDS which is designed to add another layer of oil starvation mitigation above the deep sump in high G situations on the track. Testing of a new baffle in the UIDS is about to begin.

See UAOS (Ultimate Air Oil Seperator) and UIDS (Ultimate Integrated Dry Sump) threads for more information.
Is this to prevent bore scoring? Sorry if these are dumb questions
Old 03-09-2023, 04:49 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Is this to prevent bore scoring? Sorry if these are dumb questions
Keep asking questions! The 996 is an awesome car. Would rather have everybody understand it so they can enjoy it. No, they don't solve for bore scoring, they solve for other issues.

Keep in the back of your mind that every car ever produced from every car manufacturer has issues. The good news is the 996 is 20+ years old so we know its issues and have solutions. While all plastic, rubber and metal parts will wear over time and they will eventually need to be replaced (refresh), there are 4 major issues that a 996 owner should solve for to prevent engine failure. See below.

1. Bore Scoring: change your oil at least 2x a year, run fresh spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel injectors; as well as run good fuel coupled with the right start up procedures.

If you havent already done it,
(1) test your oil to see what's in it,
(2) drop your sump to see what's in it,
(3) scope your bores from the sump to see if they are in good shape or not.

2. AOS failure can lead to intermix, oil leaks and hydralock. Hydralock can lead to your cylinders crack from the pressure of oil flooding into top of cylinders d-chunking them. Simple solution is to replace the oem aos which is weak and brittle with a better design such as UAOS.

3. Water Pump failure when the plastic blades kn the fan break off and get lodged in the wrong parts of the system creating excess heat and cracking. Simple solution is to replace the water pump every 5 years or so.

4. IMSB Failure which leads to engine failure from collatetal damage from the bearings. Simple solution is to replace your IMSB witg a LN Retro kit or Solution.

You do these 4 things and your engine will be in great shape. However, if you track your car, you will want to solve for better protection from oil starvation and add more cooling. Hence the discussion on the deep sump, UIDS as well as the UAOS track version.

Plenty of solutions available today that help to mitigate risk. This is why I always say to bullet proof the engine first, then spend money on exhaust, suspension, aero, etc. After.

As a side note, i am a 3.6 owner so I am not familiar with the 5 chain system on the 3.4. There are a few more procedures you may want to consider to mitigate the 5 chain issues that other folks can tell you about.

You dont have to loose any sleep over these issues/solutions. Most important thing is to prevent them and you will have a very durable car that you can drive on the street or track for decades.

Last edited by GC996; 03-09-2023 at 05:10 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GC996:
binaryaudax (03-09-2023), EVOMMM (03-09-2023), SchwarzCMXCVI (04-04-2023), Tangerine Dream (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 04:57 PM
Mr.Mike111
Intermediate

Keep asking questions! The 996 is an awesome car. Would rather have everybody understand it so they can enjoy it. No, they don't solve for bore scoring, they solve for other issues.

Keep in the back of your mind that every car ever produced from every car manufacturer has issues. The good news is the 996 is 20+ years old so we know its issues and have solutions. While all plastic, rubber and metal parts will wear over time and they will eventually need to be replaced (refresh), there are 4 major issues that a 996 owner should solve for to prevent engine failure. See below.

1. Bore Scoring: change your oil at least 2x a year, run fresh spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel injectors; as well as run good fuel coupled with the right start up procedures. If you havent already done it,

(1) test your oil to see what's in it,
(2) drop your sump to see what's in it,
(3) scope your bores from the sump to see if they are in good shape or not.

2. AOS failure can lead to intermix, oil leaks and hydralock. Hydralock can lead to your cylinders crack from the pressure of oil flooding into top of cylinders d-chunking them. Simple solution is to replace the oem aos which is weak and brittle with a better design such as UAOS.

3. Water Pump failure when the plastic blades kn the fan break off and get lodged in the wrong parts of the system creating excess heat and cracking. Simple solution is to replace the water pump every 5 years or so.

4. IMSB Failure which leads to engine failure from collatetal damage from the bearings. Simple solution is to replace your IMSB witg a LN Retro kit or Solution.

You do these 4 things and your engine will be in great shape. However, if you track your car, you will want to solve for better protection from oil starvation and add more cooling. Hence the discussion on the deep sump, UIDS as well as the UAOS track version.

Plenty of solutions available today that help to mitigate risk. This is why I always say to bullet proof the engine first, then spend money on exhaust, suspension, aero, etc. After.

As a side note, i am a 3.6 owner so I am not familiar with the 5 chain system on the 3.4. There are a few more procedures you may want to consider to mitigate the 5 chain issues that other folks can tell you about.

You dont have to loose any sleep over these issues/solutions. Most important thing is to prevent them and you will have a very durable car that you can drive on the street or track for decades.
Thank you very much, awesome information. Mine's a 3.6 as well.
GC996 (03-11-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 05:00 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much, awesome information. Mine's a 3.6 as well.
Looks like you dont have to worry about 5 chain procedures. The 3.6 is an incredible engine.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:06 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Lokasil 1.

Looks like you dont have to worry about 5 chain procedures. The 3.6 is an incredible engine.
the 3.4 even though it has 5 chains has lokasil one coating on piston, skirts, etc. Lokasil one is better than two. The 3.4 tends to score less than the 3.6, that score less than a 3.8. If you have a scored engine there is a 3.6 a available with 20k miles for $12k.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:10 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
the 3.4 even though it has 5 chains has lokasil one coating on piston, skirts, etc. Lokasil one is better than two. The 3.4 tends to score less than the 3.6, that score less than a 3.8. If you have a scored engine there is a 3.6 a available with 20k miles for $12k.
Yep, always a tradeoff depending on the engine.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:19 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Idaho911
How much is FSI Stage II?
$30k + (depending on extras/options). Their rebuild model has changed and all sales now go through LN Engineering. Jake has totally removed himself from the sales side of the business and only focuses on development and engine building activities.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:51 AM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 332 Posts

only $1000+ per hp
Old 03-10-2023, 10:48 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Certified installers

Originally Posted by dporto
$30k + (depending on extras/options). Their rebuild model has changed and all sales now go through LN Engineering. Jake has totally removed himself from the sales side of the business and only focuses on development and engine building activities.
you need to buy what’s available, they no longer bill the standard stock engines. plus they will only allow their certified installer to put the engine in. Only one installer per state. In the state of Texas which is huge the installer is Mayo performance. So another way because of its uniqueness that they can charge you an arm and a leg for it. Also this is an enticement for the installer to follow whatever protocol Jake and crew came up with. Also the installer can charge you whatever for the install. The whole scheme is to make as much money as possible. Like I said once you start calculating the total cost of doing this plus the cost of the car, it doesn’t makes sense buy a nice well maintained turbo because you originally wanted to go fast because you wanted a bigger displacement engine.
brontosaurus (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 11:18 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
you need to buy what’s available, they no longer bill the standard stock engines. plus they will only allow their certified installer to put the engine in. Only one installer per state. In the state of Texas which is huge the installer is Mayo performance. So another way because of its uniqueness that they can charge you an arm and a leg for it. Also this is an enticement for the installer to follow whatever protocol Jake and crew came up with. Also the installer can charge you whatever for the install. The whole scheme is to make as much money as possible. Like I said once you start calculating the total cost of doing this plus the cost of the car, it doesn’t makes sense buy a nice well maintained turbo because you originally wanted to go fast because you wanted a bigger displacement engine.
I disagree. I love the turbo, but I want a lighter, better handling narrow body that is naturally aspirated. A rebuild someday in the future makes more sense for my purposes. There is a lid for every pot.
SealG996 (03-13-2023)

Quick Reply: 996 Power Mods - Recs Please