Sponsored by:

Should I even consider this???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 12:15 AM
CaptJD
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Yes, that is why no doubt. But on the flip side, used 911s with low miles are often in super good shape compared to, let’s say BMW M cars that can be beat to death.
Of course... But it's in the case of, for example if I were looking both brands 2000 model vehicles. In my example the difference I was talking about between paying $47,500 for a really good and clean 2000 Millennium Edition 911 with 24000 miles or paying $41,000 for a 2013 model SL550 with 32000 miles...

In uniqueness, I agree 2000 Millennium Edition comes on top but in real world you can't just skip the idea of owning a nice and 13 yrs newer MB SL550 for $6500 less if the goal is just to have weekend fun and drive around in a hardtop convertible. Of course as it was mentioned before they are both different type of animals but both fun in their own way of course.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:27 AM
CaptJD
Track Day

Originally Posted by e30rapidic
That may be cool but for the love of God when I read the description of the vehicle is there anything that didn't need to be changed on that car? Sounds like almost 90% parts and pieces needed to be replaced...

In any case my heart is captured by this one: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1328882
Old 03-08-2023, 01:27 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,931 Likes on 2,234 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptJD
That may be cool but for the love of God when I read the description of the vehicle is there anything that didn't need to be changed on that car? Sounds like almost 90% parts and pieces needed to be replaced...

In any case my heart is captured by this one: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1328882
Capt, you may be missing the point. The owner did all of the right things to refresh a 23 year old car. That's what you want. Not a car that hasn't been refreshed and you will need to spend $15-20k after you buy it just to make sure the 23 year old rubber and plastic parts don't break.
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
barbancourt (03-08-2023), wildbilly32 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 02:02 AM
CaptJD
Track Day

Originally Posted by GC996
Capt, you may be missing the point. The owner did all of the right things to refresh a 23 year old car. That's what you want. Not a car that hasn't been refreshed and you will need to spend $15-20k after you buy it just to make sure the 23 year old rubber and plastic parts don't break.
Oh no, I got the point. I was mentioning that for the owner's point of view. Even if he wanted to keep the car throughout its life that 911 needed all that issues to be fixed or replaced etc.
Otherwise, of course the buyer of that vehicle will be happy to have many newer parts in his newly purchased used car. I agree on that.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 09:54 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 792 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by e30rapidic
Like he said...
barbancourt (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 12:24 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 690 Posts

This thread is hilarious. I unsubbed once but keep coming back for the laughs.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:24 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 277 Posts

Hi Captain, I'm the seller and also a fellow military officer. I didn't have to change a lot of those parts, I did it because I like my car running and operating properly... I'm sure you can appreciate that. I wanted a sharp handling car, first and foremost. Some of the stuff just makes sense to change when you are doing other things, so it's kind of a rabbit hole. I also used to own a couple of franchise auto repair shops and I'm somewhat **** about preventative maintenance.

Good luck with your search, the 996 is a great 911.

P.S. if you ever want some advice on what to look for avoid, or just have questions on the 996 please feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to share with a fellow comrade. This doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm selling my car. I'm not trying to push it on anyone.

Last edited by barbancourt; 03-08-2023 at 04:34 PM.
CaptJD (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 05:12 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

It's a good looking car. Cosmetics is worth a lot IMO. I would want to know exactly what was repaired. German auto makers suck and Porsche is the worst, but the cars are light, fairly powerful and great to drive. Unfortunately, you're stuck with Porsche if you want that feel. This car is a good color, has the right wheels and it has a rear wiper. I have wiper envy
CaptJD (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 05:57 PM
CaptJD
Track Day

Originally Posted by barbancourt
Hi Captain, I'm the seller and also a fellow military officer. I didn't have to change a lot of those parts, I did it because I like my car running and operating properly... I'm sure you can appreciate that. I wanted a sharp handling car, first and foremost. Some of the stuff just makes sense to change when you are doing other things, so it's kind of a rabbit hole. I also used to own a couple of franchise auto repair shops and I'm somewhat **** about preventative maintenance.

Good luck with your search, the 996 is a great 911.

P.S. if you ever want some advice on what to look for avoid, or just have questions on the 996 please feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to share with a fellow comrade. This doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm selling my car. I'm not trying to push it on anyone.
I appreciate your explanation and understand your position. I am 100% sure your car mechanically 1000% better than the ME I was looking at with Rebuilt title... If I were a Porsche enthusiast I'd possibly consider a car like yours with a well known history, service records and driven to be appreciated rather than being a garage queen. In my case I am 50% for the looks and 50% for the performance... All my cars and motorcycles, boats and even planes I owned were either White or dark navy/black kind of color. That ME interior color was also my SL500 and my 750Li Interior color too which I loved it.... I never owned any other color car or motorcycles even if they were offered for a great price.
I know it's weird but these kind of vehicles need to satisfy my eyes first for me to consider it owning it.
If tomorrow I win a Yellow colored 2023 Carrera GT from a raffle first thing I'll do is sell that thing and get a white or black or equivalently dark colored another car. In the process if I lose some equity or value so be it.
I hope I can find a car which was loved and maintained like yours to serve my goal.

I may take you on your offer and PM you with some advice on few issues. I appreciate the offer.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:02 PM
CaptJD
Track Day

Originally Posted by dougn
It's a good looking car. Cosmetics is worth a lot IMO. I would want to know exactly what was repaired. German auto makers suck and Porsche is the worst, but the cars are light, fairly powerful and great to drive. Unfortunately, you're stuck with Porsche if you want that feel. This car is a good color, has the right wheels and it has a rear wiper. I have wiper envy
Be careful, you may hurt some feelings here !

At certain issues all large corporations with products they target above a certain level clientele suck at customer service... Oh well...

Last edited by CaptJD; 03-08-2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:14 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 792 Likes on 507 Posts

I appreciate your explanation and understand your position. I am 100% sure your car mechanically 1000% better than the ME I was looking at with Rebuilt title... If I were a Porsche enthusiast I'd possibly consider a car like yours with a well known history, service records and driven to be appreciated rather than being a garage queen. In my case I am 50% for the looks and 50% for the performance... All my cars and motorcycles, boats and even planes I owned were either White or dark navy/black kind of color. That ME interior color was also my SL500 and my 750Li Interior color too which I loved it.... I never owned any other color car or motorcycles even if they were offered for a great price.
I know it's weird but these kind of vehicles need to satisfy my eyes first for me to consider it owning it.
If tomorrow I win a Yellow colored 2023 Carrera GT from a raffle first thing I'll do is sell that thing and get a white or black or equivalently dark colored another car. In the process if I lose some equity or value so be it.
I hope I can find a car which was loved and maintained like yours to serve my goal.

I may take you on your offer and PM you with some advice on few issues. I appreciate the offer.
If you win a Yellow colored 2023 Carrera GT please pm me I would be happy to take it off your hands for a reasonable price...
CaptJD (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 07:08 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 277 Posts

Have fun with the search! The Millenium Edition is very nice. I really like the color of those cars.
CaptJD (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 07:44 PM
CaptJD
Track Day

Originally Posted by barbancourt
Have fun with the search! The Millenium Edition is very nice. I really like the color of those cars.
Mostly the contrast of interior colors and design got my eye. If it was black or grey seats and dash I'll not give it a second look to be honest. Otherwise it's just another 996 and they are a lot of them out there.

I am not into the idea of I have to have a Millennium Edition... If I find a 911 with same interior and dash colors and with 40-50k miles with IMS issues taken care of already; I'd consider it even if it is 2001 or 2003 or whatever... It doesn't't have to be a ME but exterior color has to be black or white !
Old 03-08-2023, 07:44 PM
CaptJD
Track Day

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
If you win a Yellow colored 2023 Carrera GT please pm me I would be happy to take it off your hands for a reasonable price...
I am not greedy my friend if that happens you'll be the first person I'll contact !
Old 03-08-2023, 07:50 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Be careful, you may hurt some feelings here !

At certain issues all large corporations with products they target above a certain level clientele suck at customer service... Oh well...
Let me be more clear....Porsche is an awful company. Their greed knows no bound. That said, you aren't forced to buy one. I wish Toyota would make a nicely styled 3000lb 400 hp, N/A, mid engine sports car....with 18 inch wheels

Quick Reply: Should I even consider this???