Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How did he get his Carrera to sound like this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 12:00 AM
RegularGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts
Default How did he get his Carrera to sound like this?

I've listened to a lot of Porsche exhausts in the last few years. I've never heard one that sounds like this. Can anyone tell me how? Maybe just keeping it reved to the mood?

Old 03-06-2023, 12:13 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,803 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Borla
Old 03-06-2023, 06:40 AM
sp1ke
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

From the description in another of his videos
he states "Sound of a Porsche 996 4S with the complete Evox exhaust system with valves, cat removal."
he has a link to his instagram channel there, so you can always direct message him to clarify.

The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 12:50 PM
RegularGuy
Rennlist Member

Well, thats dissapointing. I like the sound but not the Loud.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:35 PM
Ron 911
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 17 Posts

hmm my car did a puff puff out the exhaust like that, too.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:15 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 988 Posts

Remember his video was shot in a valley so the sound is reverberated off the mountains it’s impressive sound and shot
Old 03-08-2023, 06:30 PM
RegularGuy
Rennlist Member

Yeah. plus you just can't count on audio characteristics on Youtube. But I do like the high frequency that that car has.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:53 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by RegularGuy
Well, thats dissapointing. I like the sound but not the Loud.
Well, the “loud” (amplitude) is an integral part of the sound…If you reduce the loudness the sound changes, it’s really simple physics (which as we know isn’t always so simple) and there’s no real way around it.
* It always amazes me when a restaurant hires a 5 pc band to play during dinner hour and then constantly asks to turn down the levels to that of a radio…
Old 03-09-2023, 10:58 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,874 Likes on 943 Posts

More throttle = more volume. You may want to consider a valved exhaust. I've been pretty happy with that choice and it gives me an option of a somewhat louder than stock or pretty loud with a switch of a button. The volume will also depend whether you have stock cats, 200 cel or straight pipe. Just like suspension, exhaust sound is pretty subjective.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:25 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,307 Posts

RegularGuy,

If you run a mic from your go pro out to your license plate area, all exhausts sound good. But keep in the back of your mind that they sound the best under load on or off the gas. Stationary reving just doesn't capture the sounds.

Last edited by GC996; 03-09-2023 at 06:52 PM.
plpete84 (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 02:52 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 237 Posts

Each to their own, but to me it makes the car sound really “cheap”, but not only that, it now sounds like a straight six BMW with a broken/cheap aftermarket exhaust.
One man’s meat is another man’s poison ...
Old 03-09-2023, 02:56 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 988 Posts

I don’t know maybe in theUK but I have never had anyone tell me that my car sounded cheap
if anything I’ve had more compliments from Ferrari and Lamborghini guys then my Porsche group
maekwl (03-11-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 03:13 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,307 Posts

RegularGuy, it's almost spring. PCA track events are about to start. Go out for a couple and listen. The guys are all approachable and love to talk about their cars. Ask them what they are running. See what you like in person versus a video. Take your time, it's an expensive purchase. But after 2 or 3 events yiu will figure out what you like and what you can handle.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:58 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOMMM
I don’t know maybe in theUK but I have never had anyone tell me that my car sounded cheap
if anything I’ve had more compliments from Ferrari and Lamborghini guys then my Porsche group
All too often the Ferrari and Lamborghini owners just want more noise, they’re not overly concerned about the quality of that additional noise, they just want more decibels. Which is my way of saying, I wouldn’t consider positive comments from Ferrari and Lamborghini owners, as being a particularly good guide to the quality of the noise your car may or may not make.
But generally speaking, listening to clips of exhaust sounds on Youtube is a recipe for disaster, as microphone and speaker quality varies so much (as does microphone position ...)

But having looked at the Evox 996 exhaust system on their website, it does look like a well made item, but in my experience removing the cats from even the best designed and fabricated exhaust, all too often makes a 996 sound “cheap”, we have better descriptions over here in the UK, but they probably won’t translate particularly well to the other side of the pond. Perhaps you’d prefer it if I said less mellifluous or sonorous ? But the bottom line is it sounds like a cheap exhaust, and dare I say it, I think both the Soul and Fister exhausts sound similar.
None of the above is intended to cause offence, and I hope none is taken. We are ALL different and how we interpret sound varies from one individual to another. There is no right or wrong in these matters.

This is how I perceive a flat six exhaust should sound, but that is only my opinion, and please note I did place a caveat at the end of my last post “One man’s meat is another man’s poison”

Both are Mezgers, the BTB exhaust car was mine, and I owned a Manthey modified car with the same exhaust/inlet mods as the yellow car, so I know the sounds to be accurate reproductions of the noises their exhausts produced.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w3J8HeIfJwc&t=12s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NaxtAinCsiM&t=11s

Old 03-10-2023, 05:07 PM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Atgani
All too often the Ferrari and Lamborghini owners just want more noise, they’re not overly concerned about the quality of that additional noise, they just want more decibels. Which is my way of saying, I wouldn’t consider positive comments from Ferrari and Lamborghini owners, as being a particularly good guide to the quality of the noise your car may or may not make.
But generally speaking, listening to clips of exhaust sounds on Youtube is a recipe for disaster, as microphone and speaker quality varies so much (as does microphone position ...)

But having looked at the Evox 996 exhaust system on their website, it does look like a well made item, but in my experience removing the cats from even the best designed and fabricated exhaust, all too often makes a 996 sound “cheap”, we have better descriptions over here in the UK, but they probably won’t translate particularly well to the other side of the pond. Perhaps you’d prefer it if I said less mellifluous or sonorous ? But the bottom line is it sounds like a cheap exhaust, and dare I say it, I think both the Soul and Fister exhausts sound similar.
None of the above is intended to cause offence, and I hope none is taken. We are ALL different and how we interpret sound varies from one individual to another. There is no right or wrong in these matters.

This is how I perceive a flat six exhaust should sound, but that is only my opinion, and please note I did place a caveat at the end of my last post “One man’s meat is another man’s poison”

Both are Mezgers, the BTB exhaust car was mine, and I owned a Manthey modified car with the same exhaust/inlet mods as the yellow car, so I know the sounds to be accurate reproductions of the noises their exhausts produced.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w3J8HeIfJwc&t=12s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NaxtAinCsiM&t=11s
i have no cats and mine doesn't sound cheap.

Facebook Post

Last edited by Justin76; 03-10-2023 at 05:28 PM.
EVOMMM (03-10-2023)

Quick Reply: How did he get his Carrera to sound like this?