996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,887 Likes on 2,217 Posts

The shifting feel, like alot of things on the 996, is subjective to what you want and how you are going to use it. I just went to the 997 shifter with the FF Shift Right kit and do like it for the street and track.

For background, I kept the original 996 shifter on my 996.2 for 22 years because it was an accurate shift on the track. I never had to worry about missing a shift nor having to jam the shift to get it in gear. Some would say it's too long of a throw, other would say it's too wobbly. That may be the case, but it is accurate. New engine mounts and trans mount can also help to tighten things up a bit as well.

What the 997 w/ FF Shift Right does is shorten the throw and tightens up the wobble in comparison the the 996 shifter. But it still maintains its accuracy on the track. It is an improvement over the 996 oem shifter.

If you want a rifle-like feel with a shorter shift, then you may need to look towards the Numeric shifter. But I never had the opportunity to test one to experience it's characteristics. Same can be said for the CAE shifter which is cool as he'll looking. But never tried one.

To me, accuracy and rythym in shifting on the track is more important than shortness with less accuracy thru more notchiness. So the 997 w/FF Shift Right fits the bill.

But maybe, just maybe somewhere out there is a shifter that has the same throw length as the 997/FF that is tighter and more accurate for the street and track that doesn't have to be jammed to get into gear while shifting quickly nor worry about missing a shift. Maybe it's the Numeric, or CAE or something else.

I am looking forward to hearing more about @Atgani shifter. It seems to be the next evolution of what the 997/FF shifter has accomplished.

Last edited by GC996; Yesterday at 09:57 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
campipilot
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Available to others

Are you making this available to us? Looks nice. How’s it performing?

Originally Posted by Atgani
It’s my own design. It’s a 15% reduction, so the same as fitting a 997 item to a 996, but with all the cheap, nasty nylon bushes removed, so zero slop, and once correctly adjusted, vastly improved shift action whether cold or hot. Zero notchiness too. OE ++
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Outatimemk
Very nice! Will you be throwing your hat in the ring as far as offering it for sale?
Yes
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
campipilot
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m interested in one….sounds about right for what I’m looking for. Let me know if youll offer them up?
The following users liked this post:
Outatimemk (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
Spend the extra $$ and get the numeric so you don't need to butcher your original. It's also adjustable
The original shifter is useless with the plastic bushings, I gladly butchered mine for $40 vs paying $500. Now that I see the 997 shifter with the same plastic bushings, I am like why?

Last edited by 911Dreamer; Yesterday at 08:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dreamer
The original shifter is useless with the plastic bushings, I gladly butchered mine for $40 vs paying $500. Now that I see the 997 shifter with the same plastic bushings, I am like why?

Yeah no, the numeric is the best
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
Yeah no, the numeric is the best
If you say My shifting is fine and rather put that money into other parts.

Quick Reply: 996 Short Shifter