Sponsored by:

996 Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 08:28 AM
Coussa
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 996C438
Here is an example of an aftermarket shifter upgrades . Ben ( the manufacturer ) was a Porsche tech and started making short shifters . The business grew from grassroots to him moving to Europe . Uniwerks is the US distributor of his parts/kits . Great to deal with .

But there are several good aftermarket solutions out there . Do your homework and buy what you think is best for you .

https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/porsche-shifter-parts/
This is the 1st I hear of this option. I thought I only had 2 aftermarket options with Function First and Numeric. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the uniwerks solution?
Old 03-05-2023, 08:40 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,287 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Originally Posted by Coussa
This is the 1st I hear of this option. I thought I only had 2 aftermarket options with Function First and Numeric. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the uniwerks solution?
CAE would be another option (and I think the best performing at least compared to Numeric which I did not care for, although my experience with the Numeric is limited).

Old 03-05-2023, 08:48 AM
996C438
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 294 Posts

If this link works there are 600+ reviews from the 986 forum .

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-proje...t-shifter.html
The following 2 users liked this post by 996C438:
Coussa (03-06-2023), EVOMMM (Today)
Old 03-06-2023, 12:32 AM
Coussa
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
CAE would be another option (and I think the best performing at least compared to Numeric which I did not care for, although my experience with the Numeric is limited).
I did see CAE but it looks to me to be more for racing than daily driving. Am I wrong? It’s also the most expensive option that may not be justified if I’m not looking to improve track times. Thank you though, I do appreciate the feedback and it does look pretty bad ***.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:35 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

Hands down the Numeric is the one to get and you don't need to sacrifice your original shifter so if you decide to sell the car you can just reinstall your original
Old 03-06-2023, 08:01 AM
zbomb
Race Car

I did see CAE but it looks to me to be more for racing than daily driving. Am I wrong? It’s also the most expensive option that may not be justified if I’m not looking to improve track times. Thank you though, I do appreciate the feedback and it does look pretty bad ***.
It's a shifter, if you're shifting the car, no matter the circumstance - It's better than stock, 996 Cup and Numeric. I have some experience with all 3. When I say better, I'm talking about the action as well as how naturally easy it is to find gears minimizing the risk of a mis-shift.

That said, you're not hiding it so if you want to maintain a stock interior, its not for you.

As far as pricing, for me, it was 100% worth it, made the driving experience so much more enjoyable and that was on the street and track.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:44 AM
dsbl
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

I went from stock to the OEM ssk to the numeric + cables, which looks so nice I've removed the center/lower console to show it off, the motivation for the upgrades was that my car prior was a miata and I wanted to get closer back to that feel. The numeric + cables will bring more noise into the cabin, the insulation tubing cuts it down pretty good but its still a bit noticeable (especially if you remove the console, you could probably cut it down further by shoving more padding under there). One upside for the numeric is the 3 length settings, the shortest setting really has that rifle bolt feel, the longest setting is much smoother, and the middle is a good compromise, I'll switch between them every so often just to mix up the driving experience. From a price perspective fresh OEM cables + mod your existing shifter is probably the cheapest path.

I don't think many ppl have experience with the numeric + CAE just cus of the price to do so, zbomb what about the CAE do you like over the numeric? All of the feel in the numeric is coming from the transmission side, with the CAE it has the centering spring and set screws so I'd guess it has no issues if the transmission side stuff is more worn (also reverse lockout).
The following users liked this post:
smamols (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 11:14 AM
zbomb
Race Car

To me, it felt like you had to be a lot more accurate with the Numeric to find the gear, like they were spaced too close together.

Again, I don’t have a ton of experience with it but it was way different from what I was used to.
dsbl (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 11:34 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,406 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb

Again, I don’t have a ton of experience with it but it was way different from what I was used to.
it may be my fault on why Z doesnt like the numeric....at least partially. He drove my car on Tail of the Dragon. My car has the numeric and cables but it also has the gt3 trans. Its not really a good match but im used to it. The spacing and trans feel is much tighter and its hard to hit your spots.

The cad is very nice and if u dont mind the open aftermarket look, i would be very temped to get it over the numeric. Im sure my trans would shift better with it, but my 3.4l trans was fantastic with the numeric.
dsbl (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 12:12 PM
smamols
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the Numeric also, but kept the stock cables and ends which appeared to be in good condition (65K miles).
With this combination, I do not notice any increase in noise or vibration.
Huge difference (using on the middle position), love it, and yes, it is a thing of beauty, a shame it's covered by the console.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:24 PM
dsbl
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

The front center console delete is a cool feature that you can't do on the 997, there are some sacrifices if you want to take out the middle console as well, but I basically traded my storage bin/cupholders/cd holder for aesthetics and haven't looked back. Still need to design some actually good looking trim parts to 3d print, and the graphite gray parking brake has aged poorly, but on the upside I moved the window switches to the dash so I'm getting closer to having no blank switches there.

Old 03-06-2023, 04:59 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I have a Numeric & Numeric cables, with 996 Cup levers on the trans. It's almost too short in the Numeric's longest setting. It shifts so easy that I fear a 5 to 1 downshift instead of 5 to 3 so I either hit 4th for a flash or pause in neutral.
Sometimes the 2 to 3 or 4 to 5 upshift seems to get stuck in the gate ever so slightly.
Might be my adjustments or my 996 Cup shift levers, the Cup shift levers are really short. Or even the CMS shift arrestor.
I have to pay close attention to what I'm doing.

It's still light years ahead of the stock setup.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:31 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
It's still light years ahead of the stock setup.
That's not hard to do...
Old 03-06-2023, 08:44 PM
Boff
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 109 Posts

Looks amazing! Reminds me of the Terminator with his flesh burned off. Love the Slammer **** too.

Originally Posted by dsbl
The front center console delete is a cool feature that you can't do on the 997, there are some sacrifices if you want to take out the middle console as well, but I basically traded my storage bin/cupholders/cd holder for aesthetics and haven't looked back. Still need to design some actually good looking trim parts to 3d print, and the graphite gray parking brake has aged poorly, but on the upside I moved the window switches to the dash so I'm getting closer to having no blank switches there.

Old 03-12-2023, 11:54 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 472 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
it may be my fault on why Z doesnt like the numeric....at least partially. He drove my car on Tail of the Dragon. My car has the numeric and cables but it also has the gt3 trans. Its not really a good match but im used to it. The spacing and trans feel is much tighter and its hard to hit your spots.

The cad is very nice and if u dont mind the open aftermarket look, i would be very temped to get it over the numeric. Im sure my trans would shift better with it, but my 3.4l trans was fantastic with the numeric.
It’s my understanding that the external shift levers on the GT3/2 boxes are shorter to provide less travel.
I’ve gone from a 2000 996.1 GT3 to a 2002 C2.
I’m in the process of trying various shifts to improve the quality of shift feel. It is, as you’ve suggested far from “rifle bolt” in its action in the C2.
I have to say I’m not a fan of the CAE or Numeric shifters, or more specifically the look of them, so I’ve fitted a Gen 2 997 GT3/RS shift assembly (the one with aluminium”carriers”, note the word carriers, because they’re not bushes, they’re merely carriers for a nylon bush that look remarkably similar to the stock nylon bushes ...)

Theoretically this should have reduced the shift throw by 15% over that of the 996 shifter, but I’m not convinced it has ... It certainly felt like it had reduced the throw by that amount when I fitted a 997 (not GT3) to my Mk 1 996 GT3.
So the external shift levers on a C2 would appear to be longer and thus make for a longer shift throw.
I suspect this is why the EBay specials with their 30% reduction in throw work on a C2 admirably, but completely ruin the feel of a 996 GT3 shift (IMO)

There is another shifter assembly out there, but they’re rare and little known, I’m currently in the process of establishing what they’ll cost to replicate, so I’ll not divulge further information for the time being, other than to say they have excellent provenance.

Last edited by Atgani; 03-12-2023 at 05:04 PM.
campipilot (Today)

Quick Reply: 996 Short Shifter