Sponsored by:

Manometer - cheap vs expensive what to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 10:52 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
since you have a spare in hand it usually doubles the life of the one in use.
Unless you carrying the spare in the trunk, and remove it to fit your wife's makeup bag in the trunk.
Then pray because your doomed.. BTDT...
Such a great thread. One rarely sees a thread where you have:

1 - Useful tech knowledge
2 - Saving money on tools
3 - Humorous anecdotes

Love it ….
Old 07-16-2023, 11:03 AM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 490 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by woodgeek
... but I do see that his oil filler cap doesn’t have any extra holes in it, other than one for the barbed connector.
A bit older post, but I didn't see clarification.
Single barb fitting with no other holes, or holes sealed, (measuring with the system sealed) is to measure crankcase vacuum and AOS function.
Measuring with additional holes in the cap,of specific size, is to measure blow by.
The following users liked this post:
hardtailer (07-16-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 05:54 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbornem
A bit older post, but I didn't see clarification.
Single barb fitting with no other holes, or holes sealed, (measuring with the system sealed) is to measure crankcase vacuum and AOS function.
Measuring with additional holes in the cap,of specific size, is to measure blow by.
Oil filler cap should have single hole with single barb fitting. My used manometer used 1/8 inch barb fitting. Drilled and tapped filler cap for pipe thread and screwed in fitting. Be sure manometer is set to inches H2O. Put cap on engine and start, then read value on manometer.
Old 07-16-2023, 07:29 PM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 490 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by RWPinNC
Oil filler cap should have single hole with single barb fitting. My used manometer used 1/8 inch barb fitting. Drilled and tapped filler cap for pipe thread and screwed in fitting. Be sure manometer is set to inches H2O. Put cap on engine and start, then read value on manometer.
I know, I was referring to the fact that some caps shown have additional precision holes drilled, which are used to measure Blow By (different from crankcase vacuum and AOS function).
There are two tests that can be done with slightly different cap configurations.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...w-by-test.html
Old 09-06-2023, 04:29 PM
GuardsRed996
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flenn
Not sure what to do with these parts now that my car is sold. Never used. Any takers at $50?
I would like to buy this for my 996 - please let me know if still avail. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Manometer - cheap vs expensive what to buy