996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Jalopnik Article on 996 wrenching with nice callout to Porschetech3

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 02:54 AM
Jagtem
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice article. I can relate. My 996 is the first car I ever pulled an engine/trans on. I gotta say, the way they come apart and go back together is pretty intuitive. Everything just kinda makes sense. Audis on the other hand...
Old 12-30-2022, 02:04 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,803 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Pfffft. 10 hours to install the UAOS? I hope that does not scare people. I've done the Ultimate Track Drain Back kit in under three hours and I make spreadsheets all day.

I have done it a few times though....
Yea, I use you as an example all the time !!

There is no "book time" for AOS replacement,and the UAOS is not much more time, it is all plug-n-play....

I reciently had a shop that was doing a UAOS install give the job to one of thier lesser experianced Techs, he spent 12 hours just trying to get the "bitch bolt" out...lol ..I mean how could anyone spend 12 hours on 1 bolt?

Then had another shop where the owner did the same install job himself in 3 hours and didn't even touch the bitch bolt, he just lowered the engine a few inches and went in over the top...

I recomend 4 hours for the 996.1, ... 5 hours for the 996.2 , and 6 hours if it is aTiptronic...If the engine is already out for some other operation then on 1 hour to install the kit....

Last edited by Porschetech3; 12-30-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2022, 02:44 PM
khyatt
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Pfffft. 10 hours to install the UAOS? I hope that does not scare people. I've done the Ultimate Track Drain Back kit in under three hours and I make spreadsheets all day.

I have done it a few times though....
That's just what the shop typically charges for AOS on a .2 manual coupe, I guess? The pricing was in line with a bunch of other local shops, so I'm fine with it.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (12-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Jalopnik Article on 996 wrenching with nice callout to Porschetech3