996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Built Engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2022 | 07:45 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Is the CG really that much higher with an LS? Can it be offset with a lightweight battery or anything else?
The CG of an stock 2018 GT2RS is 18 inches, not sure what the CG of a stock 996.1 or 996.2 is but I think adding an LS V8 would easily raise the CG at least an inch in the rear...

Would be like setting the rear ride height an inch higher to get more power, would hurt on the corners but would help on the straights...low is fast in the corners...

Last edited by Porschetech3; 09-19-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2022 | 08:21 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
The CG of an stock 2018 GT2RS is 18 inches, not sure what the CG of a stock 996.1 or 996.2 is but I think adding an LS V8 would easily raise the CG at least an inch in the rear...

Would be like setting the rear ride height an inch higher to get more power, would hurt on the corners but would help on the straights...low is fast in the corners...
I’ll be sharing lots of data to put the -it’s going to be slower in the corners- to the test.

I think the statement above is going to be proven false but hey, I’ve been wrong before.
Old 09-19-2022 | 08:59 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default I agree with zbomb

Originally Posted by zbomb
I’ll be sharing lots of data to put the -it’s going to be slower in the corners- to the test.

I think the statement above is going to be proven false but hey, I’ve been wrong before.
in my opinion all the extra torque and hp Is more than going to compensate for the loss of drag coefficient. I can care less because I’ll be accelerating on a straight line super highway. Out of this bullsht of high cost m96/97 rebuild more ls swap shops will be coming into play. Welcome to the outlaw 996
world.
Old 09-19-2022 | 09:34 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
in my opinion all the extra torque and hp Is more than going to compensate for the loss of drag coefficient. I can care less because I’ll be accelerating on a straight line super highway. Out of this bullsht of high cost m96/97 rebuild more ls swap shops will be coming into play. Welcome to the outlaw 996
world.
LOL ,,,Center of Gravity is different from Drag Coefficient ( deep in the bottle already?) , but I'm glad Zbomb has an Engineer that agrees, he will need the help to defy gravity...lol

I do hope the engine swaps become less expensive and much more thorough , they have been doing them for over a decade now, Renegade was the first I believe...But don't kid your self as to how nice they are, there is some ratty ones that are inexpensive and will be some nice ones that will cost a pretty penny..
Old 09-20-2022 | 08:32 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
LOL ,,,Center of Gravity is different from Drag Coefficient ( deep in the bottle already?) , but I'm glad Zbomb has an Engineer that agrees, he will need the help to defy gravity...lol

I do hope the engine swaps become less expensive and much more thorough , they have been doing them for over a decade now, Renegade was the first I believe...But don't kid your self as to how nice they are, there is some ratty ones that are inexpensive and will be some nice ones that will cost a pretty penny..
yeah I was watching Jalen Hurts in MNF, yes I had a few Turkey 101s, and IPAs, plus I was finishing the gravy, pasta, and baking the garlic bread for dinner. Yes I know the difference between drag and center of gravity. The blue wrap car seems like a well done swap, I would personally would like to see some and get myself educated in the lsx motors because I don’t know much about them. That blue one was
on a Facebook post and the posted price said $39,999. Anyway it ends today on pcarmarket. That number seems high to me, I would think $20k for engine and swap and $10k rest of the car at most. So $30k for the car, which is what I was saying about a FSI engine. Unfortunately I already have 5
cars no garage space, right now it’s not the right time to buy a house, they still have more to fall in price, and my mechanic will not be finished with his new shop till the end of the year. I already talked to him about storing a car over there. He was working for Tony callas at Sebring the last two weeks.
Old 09-20-2022 | 10:53 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

I wonder how much the difference in twisting torque makes in the handling? A horizontally opposed motor does applies balanced twisting forces through the crankshaft, whereas other engine layouts do not. An extreme example by way of explanation:

The following 2 users liked this post by wdb:
EVOMMM (09-20-2022), Porschetech3 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022 | 12:15 PM
merlot
Rennlist Member

yeah I was watching Jalen Hurts in MNF, yes I had a few Turkey 101s, and IPAs,
I was at the game last night downing a few as well. It was glorious (Go Birds!) except for the half mile walk to find my Uber afterwards.

Last edited by merlot; 09-20-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2022 | 04:19 PM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wdb
I wonder how much the difference in twisting torque makes in the handling? A horizontally opposed motor does applies balanced twisting forces through the crankshaft, whereas other engine layouts do not. An extreme example by way of explanation:

What you see here is not due to the engine (probably) being a V8 but due to it being mounted in the front driving the rear wheels. A flat six in the same configuration would result in the same twisting. Even an electric motor or jet turbine both without primary and secondary imbalance (that's what you're trying to say I think, as a difference between V8 and H6 (I6 and V12 too) engines) would twist the car in the same way.
Old 09-20-2022 | 06:03 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default I like the team this year

Originally Posted by merlot
I was at the game last night downing a few as well. It was glorious (Go Birds!) except for the half mile walk to find my Uber afterwards.
i was discussing with my wife cousin how Dak Prescott wasn’t going to do a damn thing for the Cowboys and I was telling him that the Cowboys needed to get a guy like hurts, off course he said no. I said dude Tony Romo was a great quarterback and probably one of the most intelligent ones in the game. If you watch the games he calls on tv, he calls most of the plays before they happen. Been a cowboys fan since I was
8 years old. Been to many games, including the aikman 1-15 season where fans where wearing paper sacks on their heads. The eagles are going to fly all over the cowboys this season.
Old 09-20-2022 | 06:37 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Are you doing an LS swap in your 996 and if so, why?
Old 09-20-2022 | 07:08 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default This is exactly why.

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
go to the thread read everything about this car and look what It sold for. This car has 1hp per 7 lbs and it’s reliable, this is turned key. Our cars are 1 hp per 9-10 lbs of weigh and they may be blow off, intermix, d chunk, being oil starved any minute. How much it cost to solve all those problem areas a lot more than this. Check it out.

I would have bought it in a minute with enough garage space,
Old 09-20-2022 | 07:14 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Yes.

I want to build a car that approaches modern Cup car performance that has an operating cost that is a fraction of any generation Cup car.

I want to be able to produce a formula that is repeatable to others if they want to build a car that will pretty much destroy anything they ever happen to run across on track. In a 20 something year old car that happens to be the 911 that everybody hates.
The following users liked this post:
EVOMMM (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022 | 07:31 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

go to the thread read everything about this car and look what It sold for. This car has 1hp per 7 lbs and it’s reliable, this is turned key. Our cars are 1 hp per 9-10 lbs of weigh and they may be blow off, intermix, d chunk, being oil starved any minute. How much it cost to solve all those problem areas a lot more than this. Check it out.

I would have bought it in a minute with enough garage space,
Thanks, but no thanks. I have no interest in Chevy powered Porsches nor any interest in reading about them.

Yes.

I want to build a car that approaches modern Cup car performance that has an operating cost that is a fraction of any generation Cup car.

I want to be able to produce a formula that is repeatable to others if they want to build a car that will pretty much destroy anything they ever happen to run across on track. In a 20 something year old car that happens to be the 911 that everybody hates.
Interesting. I have followed your 996 adventures in the past and when I saw your post in this thread, I was concerned that you had some type of engine failure. What HP and torque numbers are you expecting out of your LS engine?
Old 09-20-2022 | 07:39 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Thanks, but no thanks. I have no interest in Chevy powered Porsches nor any interest in reading about them.

Interesting. I have followed your 996 adventures in the past and when I saw your post in this thread, I was concerned that you had some type of engine failure. What HP and torque numbers are you expecting out of your LS engine?
Thanks for following the build, I don't want to be pointed at as a major contributor to driving this thread OT, happy to answer any questions you have in my thread and the post below answers your question.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post18341777
Old 09-20-2022 | 09:05 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zbomb;[url=tel:18370459
18370459[/url]]Yes.

You're still going to have to address oil and cooling deficiencies, lol.

Quick Reply: 996 Built Engines