996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dragon Run Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 08:52 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 566 Posts

Dang I'm jealous! I'm glad you boys had a lot of fun and nobody binned it. What do you think west coast guys? Where can we meet up?
Old 12-05-2022, 09:10 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
Dang I'm jealous! I'm glad you boys had a lot of fun and nobody binned it. What do you think west coast guys? Where can we meet up?
Im hoping to do a Pike’s Peak run in 2023/2024 depending on my work schedule. What are some good areas on your side? I’d love to make my way over there but I’ll probably tow my 996.
The following users liked this post:
Dr_Strangelove (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 09:32 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
It was kinda creepy, without naming names… I noticed some uncomfortable eye contact and synched heavy breathing that got me to lock my door at night.
Oh - you noticed that.

I'm home. @De Jeeper put in a ton of miles and never put a foot wrong. It's kind of amazing to me that the car he put together can reliably run at the track as often as it does and then flip a switch into street car mode and put like 2K miles on in the course of 4 days. What a statement to the quality of his work and maintenance on the car.

Thanks buddy ! It was a pleasure to ride along with you.

I covered most of my feedback in my earlier post but just to ram it home It was a great trip and if you are not a *****, like to have fun with the boys and to beat on your car like it owes you money - you missed out.

North Carolina Chilly Sunrise

Getting there...

Pretty much without fail the worst part of a trip down, or back.

The following 3 users liked this post by zbomb:
Dr_Strangelove (12-05-2022), plpete84 (12-06-2022), wdb (12-06-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 09:51 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Im hoping to do a Pike’s Peak run in 2023/2024 depending on my work schedule. What are some good areas on your side? I’d love to make my way over there but I’ll probably tow my 996.
The only "legendary drives" on WC I'm aware of are all in California but I've never done any of them myself - only read / heard about them. I'm sure we could create an interesting journey westward from Las Vegas... Perhaps something on old Rt.66. Love the idea though. I'd help promote if we can build up steam.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:20 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

Looks like it was a blast! Glad y'all had a good time! I definitely hope the next run works better for me and I don't have to back out. Pikes is one I have always really wanted to do.

The only "legendary drives" on WC I'm aware of are all in California but I've never done any of them myself - only read / heard about them. I'm sure we could create an interesting journey westward from Las Vegas... Perhaps something on old Rt.66. Love the idea though. I'd help promote if we can build up steam.
For the most part same. I have done little bits of 101 (It runs through CA all the way up to WA and it is definitely nice. There are also some really great roads up in WA, but from my experience they aren't drive across the country great, but more of a you're lucky to live here as a car enthusiast great, and I don't know of any like the dragon or PCH (other than 101) where you could get potentially hundreds of great miles in a row. It wouldn't be very 996 friendly, but the West may very well be the absolute best part of the country for overlanding though. If I remember correctly at @TheChunkNorris wants to build his Touareg for that.
TheChunkNorris (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 11:35 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by Type65
Looks like it was a blast! Glad y'all had a good time! I definitely hope the next run works better for me and I don't have to back out. Pikes is one I have always really wanted to do.

For the most part same. I have done little bits of 101 (It runs through CA all the way up to WA and it is definitely nice. There are also some really great roads up in WA, but from my experience they aren't drive across the country great, but more of a you're lucky to live here as a car enthusiast great, and I don't know of any like the dragon or PCH (other than 101) where you could get potentially hundreds of great miles in a row. It wouldn't be very 996 friendly, but the West may very well be the absolute best part of the country for overlanding though. If I remember correctly at @TheChunkNorris wants to build his Touareg for that.
I’m hoping to do the Mojave Trail at some point before 2025. I don’t know where exactly but aren’t there some canyon areas that people run in Arizona or Utah? Back in my Z days I know a group of guys would make it a full day event.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:37 AM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

Received 881 Likes on 354 Posts

Beartooth pass in Wyoming is probably my favorite road in the US. Wish I'd been driving the Porsche instead of the 4Runner at the time.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north...ghway-usa.html
The following 2 users liked this post by yaz996:
Dr_Strangelove (12-06-2022), TheChunkNorris (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 09:59 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by yaz996
Beartooth pass in Wyoming is probably my favorite road in the US. Wish I'd been driving the Porsche instead of the 4Runner at the time.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north...ghway-usa.html
I was on some great roads in South Dakota when I drove west back in 2000. Black Hills vicinity. Arkansas is loaded with awesome roads too.
TheChunkNorris (12-06-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 08:57 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Keep me in the loop on this. I might also have some ideas. I'm going to PM you on a related subject.
Dr_Strangelove (12-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Dragon Run Thread