Sponsored by:

New Member - 1999 C2 Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 03:15 PM
Outatimemk
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New Member - 1999 C2 Project

Hi all, new member here with a new 1999 C2 project with about 100k miles on it and picked it up for a steal about 2 years ago. I finally decided to join since I'm at the point where I'll need to ask you all questions. Car ran and drove great until I decided to drop the engine! I'm reading a lot of resources like the Bentley Manual, 101 Projects, and this channel I found on YouTube called Man In A Garage (this one is ridiculously helpful). I plan to address most of those weak M96 areas while it's still healthy, and from what I can tell, has never experienced any sort of catastrophic event - IMS, RMS, AOS, deep sump oil pan, chain pads, tensioners, and I think I have a good remaining list of the "while you're in there" stuff along with a few track focused items.

I've scoped the cylinder bores and they look pretty glossy and un-scored from what I can tell, so overall, a very healthy engine that experienced a lot of good luck in the last 20+ years. You mostly hear horror stories in this area like metal shavings and scored cylinders but so far, this engine looks to be in amazing shape.

Here are some pics of the engine coming out. This is my first automotive project of this magnitude. I haven't done more than oil changes, spark plug changes, etc., but dropping the engine proved to not be so difficult with the right tools, and about a million people posting about doing this before I did it. So now, I'm emboldened to turn some wrenches and throw parts at this thing and get it back on the road, and hopefully to the track eventually.

The following 3 users liked this post by Outatimemk:
501Max (07-21-2022), dporto (07-22-2022), Mike Murphy (07-22-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 03:54 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 988 Posts

Wow good luck but you seem very capable
The following users liked this post:
Outatimemk (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:22 PM
Outatimemk
Instructor

I credit this guy for everything I'm doing: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEF...tQt95jYjFAVqPA

I'm basically following his videos and doing only a subset of what he's done. I wonder if he's on this forum.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:22 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 227 Posts

I notice you modified the HF scissor lift to be able to pull engine and trans together, I did the same thing and bought same thickness metal, welded to the cut out piece about 4 inches and drilled and tapped the lift to reinstall the bar when I have the heavier car on the lift. Don't need it with the light P-car.
jimham968 (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:24 PM
Outatimemk
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
I notice you modified the HF scissor lift to be able to pull engine and trans together, I did the same thing and bought same thickness metal, welded to the cut out piece about 4 inches and drilled and tapped the lift to reinstall the bar when I have the heavier car on the lift. Don't need it with the light P-car.
Actually, I did not modify it. It doesn't have a cross member in the back (or maybe that's the front so it's just flipped around). That's also a tip I read somewhere for the 996. I don't have ANY welding chops!

BTW, that's a Dannmar DMR-6. I wish I had waited for HF to get their scissor back because it's $1,000 cheaper.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:07 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 709 Likes on 340 Posts

Welcome to the 996 world hopefully you will have miles and miles of driving enjoyment.
Rich

Old 07-22-2022, 09:32 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

It looks like you’re on the right track. If you don’t mind spending a little $ (around $600) there is a Rennvision/FSI/Knowledge Gruupe video series on M96 engine building that would be extremely helpful to you if you get deeper into the engine. Good luck - attention to the details is paramount when working on these things
Old 07-22-2022, 11:39 AM
Outatimemk
Instructor

Originally Posted by dporto
It looks like you’re on the right track. If you don’t mind spending a little $ (around $600) there is a Rennvision/FSI/Knowledge Gruupe video series on M96 engine building that would be extremely helpful to you if you get deeper into the engine. Good luck - attention to the details is paramount when working on these things
I've looked into the class. Seriously considering this in the event that I go as deep as the crankcase/bearing carrier/etc. I think I don't need to go deeper than the cam covers for now. If I feel more ambitious, I might pull the heads off and send them to a machine shop for inspection/machining.

Oh also, I ended up breaking 3 bolts on the exhaust manifolds. I'll have to get help with that. I figured I didn't do so bad because there are folks who break all 12 ...
dporto (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 02:30 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,525 Likes on 1,858 Posts

Originally Posted by Outatimemk

Oh also, I ended up breaking 3 bolts on the exhaust manifolds. I'll have to get help with that. I figured I didn't do so bad because there are folks who break all 12 ...

Make a request to rent a stomski fixture for drilling out the bolts. There r a couple guys out there that will lend theirs out.
The following 3 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
dporto (07-22-2022), Outatimemk (07-23-2022), TheChunkNorris (07-22-2022)

Quick Reply: New Member - 1999 C2 Project