Sponsored by:

Let's be honest X74 vs. ROW MO30

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 08:15 AM
threeOh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's be honest X74 vs. ROW MO30

I've been carping about the handling of our new 40th Anniversary (US MO30 varient) since we first got in the car. After spending some time reading various boards, the impression I make on my own matches that of others. So, its suspension time.

From my point of view we go with Porsche parts. That's a big period at the end of that sentence.

Options are ROW MO30 or X74.

Ride height is not an issue. 1), doing this to get the car to handle and don't care what it looks like. 2), I just measured our 530 with the sports suspension. The 530's lowest point in the front is a full 2" lower than the lowest part of the chin spoiler on the 40th. The BMW is a far more compliant (squat) set-up than a 996 and I have no issues with it nor have heard of any complaints on the E39 boards.

Cost is not an issue. The two options are within $500 of each other. Installation, I assume, is the same other than I have to spring for alignment on X74 but I'd have them look at the alignment if we do ROW MO30 anyway.

Car will be setup for street. If it get's DE'd or tracked I'll live with whatever is in the car.

Handling: the X74 appears to have the edge with no arguments I've seen.

At issue is ride quality. From those of you who have gone from the ROW MO30 to the X74, what is the difference? Currently (with the tire pressures reduced to 32/36) the ride is very well controlled and very good. No skittering in rough corners and the ABS has been silent since we pulled down the pressures.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:54 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it is a really correct to compare the ride height of your 530 and the 996 because the overhang on the 996 is much longer and that means higher chance of scraping. My stock 40th scrapes the front coming in and out of driveways, I simply can't imagine lowering it another 1.5 inches with the X74!
Old 06-01-2004, 01:19 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Default Re: Let's be honest X74 vs. ROW MO30

Originally posted by threeOh

Ride height is not an issue. 1), doing this to get the car to handle and don't care what it looks like. 2), I just measured our 530 with the sports suspension. The 530's lowest point in the front is a full 2" lower than the lowest part of the chin spoiler on the 40th. The BMW is a far more compliant (squat) set-up than a 996 and I have no issues with it nor have heard of any complaints on the E39 boards.
just a comment but:

i had a 530i sport b4 my 911 and....just on asthetics the 530 wins hands down in terms of how hunched down the car is over the wheels...and BM only had 17's My 911 looks like a 4x4 next to the 530
Old 06-01-2004, 07:03 AM
GTRdream
Intermediate

Cool

i got x74 on my 996 03 i like it lot at the track
but at the street of LA not so good
but change to pss9 euro next week
on the m030 lower about 10 to 15 mm
ride is the same
Old 06-01-2004, 09:12 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

reference this report, it's exactly what you're after:

Porsche 996 Suspension PCA article

by the way, i have RoWM030, it firmed up the ride and lowered it only slightly, it's a slight improvement, but not very much "felt." i'd do X74 if i had to do it over again (my car is a daily driver, no track/de, etc).
Old 06-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I too have a 530i w/sport suspension. It has never dragged the ground on anything, and it does sit nicely on its tires. My '03 Targa with the X74 suspension drags a lot. But it doesn't look like a 4X4 anymore.

My 2 cents worth.
My car was not purchased for DE's or other track events. I may participate at some point, but not now. The X74 lowered the car the same as all the other posts here indicate. It looks great compared to the standard ride height. The ride is markedly different to me as the driver, but my wife really hasn't seemed to notice a lot. It feels more go-kart'ish with the X74, and the dampening in the shocks is very different. In fact, I put the old front sway bar back on my car to get rid of some of the "knife edging" I was feeling with the new front bar. It also relaxed some of the shock rebound changes as well.

Overall, I'm happy. But, it is stiff at times, and low all the time, and feels completely different in its handling characteristics. I haven't experienced the ROW 030, so I can't be of any benefit there. I was chasing ride height with my choice, and I got what I wanted. All other aspects of the install requires some type of personal growth or adjustment.

Dwayne
Old 06-02-2004, 03:07 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I decided to go the route of Bilstein PSS9's after consulting with several regular 996 track junkies and Porsche shops. They were put on yesterday and the car gets aligned today. I'll be at Thunderhill Friday to try out the new set up and alignment. I'm going to try lower pressures as many have recommended. I'll post a few pic's when I get the car back this evening.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:56 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

I run M030 on a daily driver. It is almost too stiff for me on bad roads. On most Atlanta roads, it's fine, when you hit a bad one it's pretty harsh. I would not put X74 on a street car but that's just me; I have a track car for the fun days

Roy
Old 06-03-2004, 12:16 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both of your options will void warrenty regarding the suspension,rattles and squeaks. According to my dealer today those are ROW and give them a way out.
The x-74 will be much better for performance. But you seem to lean towards comfort so the M030 might do the trick.
Because of the dealer input, I ordered Pss9 today from Gertt through the group buy.
I do track and autoX and would rather have something I can adjust.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:43 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Roberga:

My understanding that neither an X74 or RoW M030 upgrade would void a Porsche factory warranty because both are OEM Porsche parts. Do you kow why your dealer thinks otherwise? Anybody else have experience here? Thanks.

Gary
Old 06-03-2004, 05:12 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

My dealer service manager told me that because it is european spec and not U.S. It did not influence me since I wanted something adjustable, but I would make sure from your dealer one way or the other.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:49 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

If you don't like the US M030 then the Row is not an improvement. They have the same spring rates, same antiroll bars. The only difference is the shock valving and the height of the springs. The Row shocks are about 20-30% stiffer than the US M030 and even the US standard is a little stiffer(shocks) than the US sport. Your best bet will be the X74 as they are stiffer than the M030 and use the same sway bars. PSS9 is another good alternative since you can adjust them to suit you. Also have you consider larger sway bar like the H&R that may solve your handling needs. It depends what don't you like about the car now.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:20 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

With regard to the warranty issue, even if it is not covered, what's the chance of having a suspension failure with a part (X74) that is made by Porsche for this car. I would have to guess it is very small, considering all of the people that replace their suspensions on this board. I don't remember seeing anyone complaining about warranty issues on their suspension- other than some who found the X74 to be too stiff.

Let's see: My choices are to upgrade to a suspension that is going to make me enjoy my car that much more, or stick with the average factory suspension - but know that I am covered under warranty on a part that is probably not going to break.......

No contest! X74 all the way.....
Old 06-04-2004, 01:09 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

CLLACAB: It is not the suspension but everything from a skipping CD changer to tracking down rattles and other noise due to vibration. as I said it does not matter to me since I went with Pss9
Old 06-04-2004, 11:24 AM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know that some have complained about rattles in their cars. Surprisingly, I really don't have any. With regard to skipping of the CD, only if I hit a pot hole really hard does that happen - and that doesn't happen very often.

Quick Reply: Let's be honest X74 vs. ROW MO30