Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Regarding my fabspeed potential install…
Do it !
56.25%
Don’t do it
18.75%
Exhaust only
9.38%
Some other combo and then explain
15.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Fabspeed whole kit and caboodle

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 11:32 AM
oregondave
Banned

Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by philbert996
2 recent dyno tests on ‘99 3.4s prove that the IPD plenum does work.
It increases the hp and torque throughout the rev range.
But I haven’t seen any good ( same day/conditions/dyno) tests on the 3.6.
i have one and it made zero difference. Headers and high flow cats on the other hand, provided immediate improvements, as did the tune.

I’d like to see said dyno tests.
The following users liked this post:
kincedn9 (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 12:13 PM
schroederhc1
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Soul Sportcats & Fister

In my experience, you don't get much power improvement from the bolt-on route. The Soul and Fister sound glorious!
kincedn9 (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 12:15 PM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by oregondave
i have one and it made zero difference.

I’d like to see said dyno tests.

kincedn9 (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 03:38 PM
oregondave
Banned

Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

apparently my *** can’t feel 10hp. I love that green color.
kincedn9 (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 03:42 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 780 Likes on 473 Posts

What are you trying to achieve? Looks? Performance? Sound?

I wouldn't do it in a million years. The 996 engine is very difficult to improve on with bolt-ons. I don't like K&N-type air filters and it is a hot air intake instead of the stock cold-air intake. A lot of the gains in HP with exhaust are often at the expense of low-end torque in the real world. Maybe the cats and tune will give you usable power. I just haven't seen anybody do these mods and say that it made a huge difference. To me, any reduction of low-end torque is the last thing you want because that's what makes the car feel responsive in normal driving. You will retain the highest value keeping it stock. If you want more sound, do the Gundo hack.

A lot of people saying to do it, I suspect, are saying that because they want to see the before and after dyno results, not because it's wise performance investment.

On the other hand, it's your car and the most important thing is that you do what will make you happy (yes, I want to see the dyno result also )
The following 2 users liked this post by peterp:
diddy2003 (06-16-2022), wdb (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 04:26 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts
Default You need to reach out to John at fabspeed.

Originally Posted by peterp

I wouldn't do it in a million years. The 996 engine is very difficult to improve on with bolt-ons. I don't like K&N-type air filters and it is a hot air intake instead of the stock cold-air intake. A lot of the gains in HP with exhaust are often at the expense of low-end torque in the real world. Maybe the cats and tune will give you usable power. I just haven't seen anybody do these mods and say that it made a huge difference. To me, any reduction of low-end torque is the last thing you want because that's what makes the car feel responsive in normal driving. You will retain the highest value keeping it stock. If you want more sound, do the Gundo hack.

A lot of people saying to do it, I suspect, are saying that because they want to see the before and after dyno results, not because it's wise performance investment.

On the other hand, it's your car and the most important thing is that you do what will make you happy (yes, I want to see the dyno result also )
ok the thread where we were going to do testing was the Carrera S 3.8 airbox showing noticeable gains versus fabspeed intake. I was all for doing some testing but I bought my turbo. Anyway I still love the 99 and after seeing some more gains with the ipd plenum I’m actually having it installed Tuesday. I’m also going to switch headers with Tex squirrel, he’s getting my souls headers I’m getting the agency power and cash. Anyway when I got my car 91k miles I was able to hit 60 in 4.9 seconds. Now I’m at 4.6 with carrera 3.8 s airbox, fabspeed catless x pipe, soul headers and an apr tune. I’ll be taking the rear seats out to basically make the car as fast as possible without going with a bigger engine. The car had fabspeed max flow exhaust and a bore out throttle when I got it. I have also removed the front spare tire. The 99 vs the turbo are completely different driving experiences. I love both of them.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3/98 911 coupe:
kincedn9 (06-12-2022), TexSquirrel (06-12-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 05:48 PM
kincedn9
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by schroederhc1
In my experience, you don't get much power improvement from the bolt-on route. The Soul and Fister sound glorious!
Hopefully I can contribute to the universal data out there and answer some questions in the process. Will see if they are willing to do pre and post dyno runs. Although I have a feeling they won’t do it given the possible downsides. I imagine it will be more enjoyable to drive afterwards with increased throttle response, different power curves and improved sounds. Doing the entire exhaust head to tip per se. I still haven’t had any response from them either on here or personal email. They seem awful tied up with the gt3 race among after market companies.
GC996 (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 05:50 PM
kincedn9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
ok the thread where we were going to do testing was the Carrera S 3.8 airbox showing noticeable gains versus fabspeed intake. I was all for doing some testing but I bought my turbo. Anyway I still love the 99 and after seeing some more gains with the ipd plenum I’m actually having it installed Tuesday. I’m also going to switch headers with Tex squirrel, he’s getting my souls headers I’m getting the agency power and cash. Anyway when I got my car 91k miles I was able to hit 60 in 4.9 seconds. Now I’m at 4.6 with carrera 3.8 s airbox, fabspeed catless x pipe, soul headers and an apr tune. I’ll be taking the rear seats out to basically make the car as fast as possible without going with a bigger engine. The car had fabspeed max flow exhaust and a bore out throttle when I got it. I have also removed the front spare tire. The 99 vs the turbo are completely different driving experiences. I love both of them.
I found a few previously enjoyed 3.8 air boxes out there for decent prices. Definitely a temptation given what the hive has to say about the 3.8 box vs aftermarket systems.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:58 PM
kincedn9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterp

I hear ya. At present it is my toy and project car. Ease of the work and the debate that exists out there regarding pros and cons of aftermarket gear make it interesting. I think it will make me smile which is the ultimate goal. Unless it has less power or causes some catastrophic engine failure, it should at least sound good. The money ? Well. Yeah. It has appreciated in value since i bought it. Sorta pays for the mods if I decided to unbolt ‘‘em and resell it as stock. Not looking to do any permanent changes, which is why this intrigues me. Count down continues……
Old 06-14-2022, 12:56 AM
minidemarco
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Personal opinion and experience on car mods; suspension, engine/chassis mounts, good shifter, and brakes are more fun than power. For that money, you could get some good shocks and all adjustable arms. I bet you'll end up with a faster car afterward as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by minidemarco:
diddy2003 (06-16-2022), wdb (06-19-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 10:28 AM
kincedn9
Rennlist Member

no word yet from fabspeed.. maybe given up on us?

Last edited by kincedn9; 06-16-2022 at 10:32 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 06-16-2022, 10:29 AM
kincedn9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schroederhc1
what kind of bolt ons have your tried so far?
barbancourt (06-17-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 11:54 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,065 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by kincedn9
no word yet from fabspeed.. maybe given up on us?
I hope they do, but doubt they will.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:14 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,873 Likes on 943 Posts

Well... they offered and about 2 to 3 or 4 people so far did not commit to the trip and putting up their cars for the test. My guess is they don't want to waste their time and I don't blame them.
85eurocarrera (06-18-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 12:40 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 988 Posts

It wasn’t for the lack of volunteers but fabspeed just stopped responding
we had 4 cars ready to go

Quick Reply: Fabspeed whole kit and caboodle