OT: Laser by CHP from Plane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 02:07 AM
carrerajack
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Laser by CHP from Plane?

Interesting experience this weekend:

Driving back from So Cal (in the Suburban...), we stopped at the Kettleman City exit on I-5 for some lunch. Getting back on, my detector goes off telling me I'm hit with laser. Confused, I look around. Nothing but fields. I notice an airplane that is circling overhead, then starts to shadow me. Aha! Then, my detector goes off again on laser. A few miles later, two cruisers are waiting on the side of the road. They pull on and nab two cars that are right behind me.

First of all, I have a Solo2 cordless detector. That thing ID'd every CHP with Ka at least a mile beforehand. Well worth it.

Second of all, I was surprised by the laser. My only guess is that it was shot from the plane to do a spot check on speed. I guess this since I was in the middle of nowhere with complete visibility. Is this possible?
Old 04-26-2004, 01:30 PM
dp35
Pro

I had a similar experience last week in the same area. I was heading south on 5 going around 85. I spotted the plane heading the opposite way. Just as we passed, the plane circled around and started pacing me. Since I saw it, I slowed down. The plane paced me for about a mile, then turned away. I didn't have a detector, so I don't know if they were using laser, but it sounds like the same thing.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Good to know. I was under the impression that laser had to be stationary.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I think this is possible, nearly impossible to do from a moving plane.

I don't think laser can be used through glass, so the side window on the plane must be openable. Even if it can be opened, it would be impossible to hold the laser out the window while moving at the minimum speed required to keep the plane in the air (probably around 90mph).

If it's held inside the plane with the window open, then the plane would have to be moving at an angle to the traffic, which gives less time for aiming and an inaccurate reading.

In either case, the aiming of laser requires a bit of a steady hand (like looking through a telephoto lens), so in any moving object would be tricky to hit a target.

Finally, if I'm wrong and it can be used through the windshield, it still has to be held steady with a pilot at the wheel, presumably paying attention to other planes, low wires and other details of flying the plane.

I think a possible explanation for your laser detector going off is the strobe lights on the low-flying plane. I have a Laser Echo made by Lidatek and that often gets set off by amber highway work crew strobes and other clear strobe lights. It's possible the plane was just using an old-fashioned stop watch to time speed across 1/4 mile markers on the side of the road. They have these in many locations in Connecticut -- usually the cops sit on an overpass with a good view of the road and time speed across the markers and radio ahead to a chase car.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:51 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I meant to say it is nearly impossible to do from a moving plane.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:05 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, i don't know how the heck they'd do it from a moving plane. the beam on a laser is so narrow that you have to hold them rock steady to hit a car. that's why you see cops brace the hand held ones against the hood of the car or roof with both hands to hold it perfectly steady.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:09 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely impossible.
The plane was using VASCAR. It's a timer. They measure the time it takes you to travel between 2 white lines on the side of the road and calculate you speed from there. They then radio to the cars ahead to pull over the unsuspecting motorists.
There is no way to measure your speed from a flying airplane with Laser.
Your detctor probably went off because of the sun hitting it at a certain angle mimicing the wavelength of laser.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I had a feeling laser units had to be immobile to work, but I thought there was, perhaps, some new technology.

Rear taillights from Blazer SUV's also set off the laser warning on my V1. This phenomenom is detailed on the Valentine 1 site.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

I was driving on I-5 south, through Camp Pendleton and my laser detector went berzerk. It was the first and only time that my laser went off. Since there were no cops anywhere near me, I can only assume that it was a glitch in the detector or the military helos were "painting" vehicles on the highway for fun.

Either way it made me nearly s**t my pants since I was going about 95.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:25 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I frequently drive past an airport in my area. Occasionally my 8500's laser mode will activate for no apparent reason. Maybe planes use laser as part of their instrumentation (altitude measurement?)

Laser is being used now in NJ, but I haven't had the pleasure of driving through a laser ambush, yet. So my detector has never actually given me a "valid" laser alert, or an "SWS" alert for that matter!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:15 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Glad I have a Targa so I can watch for airplanes!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:21 PM
matterhorn762
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another example where a scanner would come in handy.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:44 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I got nailed by plane going east (I10) in Socal thru the hills near the Arizona border in late Feb. I had my V1 mounted on my bike fairing about 8" from my nose. It didn't make a peep or flash.

The plane was doing loops and feeding a few CHP cars on an elevated entrance to the freeway. She swooped down, I saw her lights heading down the ramp, I down shifted and breaked to 65. The cop bounded out of the car saying the plane (I thought what plane) gotcha. She rapidily wrote the ticket (85 which was about right) and sped away in less than 4 min.

Before I got my license in my wallet another chp pulled down another car.

It was like they were shooting fish in a barrel.

BTW, the V1 saved my butt at least 5 more times on the trip & a cop in Alabama followed me for at least 5 min (my rear arrow kept blinking)
Old 04-27-2004, 02:56 AM
carrerajack
Track Day

From what I've read, I have to agree with what you guys are saying. Keeping a laser gun aimed from a plane would be a lot of work. I guess some sunlight or something triggered my detector. An interesting coincidence...

Nonetheless, keep your eyes open (and upward) on I-5!
Old 04-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Island Boy
Advanced

Two questions. If a plane is pacing you from above and determines that you were definitely way over the limit. (say about 95-100mph or so). If the plane radio's cars up ahead and you slow down by the time you pass the CHP cars can they still pull you over for speeding earlier? I don't think so but I just want to be be sure.

Also dose anyone know how prevalent the use of laser is in So. Cal.? I am trying to determine if I should go with the K40 or the Val. 1. I know Val. 1 kinda works for laser but if laser use is minimal in So. Cal. why get the K40?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: OT: Laser by CHP from Plane?