PCCM+

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 07:09 PM
db984
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PCCM+

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a PCCM+ install and it seems to have run into an issue with volume gain, (where its way too loud even at low volume settings).

It's a 2002 Carrera 4S, originally with the CR220 single din cassette unit with the cd-changer, and factory bose amplifier and speakers.

Near as we can tell, the installation has been followed to the letter, and to my knowledge there's been no prior aftermarket modifications.

There's a couple threads here that seem to suggest this is actually a well known issue with the PCCM+ install, and one appears to report that he got an adapter supplied by Porsche that fixed it; but its not stated what the part actually was. The thread linked below seems to be very similar to my car; (although i didn't have the navigation and phone option.)

Is this the same issue? Or is my issue something else? What the heck am i missing?

-------
my car is
996.2 which came out in 2001 with factory Bose, PCM1 (incl. navigation) and phone...[omitted]Installation was almost P&P, except of adapter for the factory amplifier (well known problem - white noise and too high volume gain). In my case adapter was delivered by Porsche, as I report problem with white noise and too high volume gain, after installation.

...[then he goes into some other issues - omitted]...
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ay-on-obc.html

-Dave

Last edited by db984; 04-21-2022 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:06 PM
db984
Track Day

Following up; I never did get any direct replies back, but based on what I'd read here and elsewhere, we decided to order a CTAMPPASSTHROUGH
https://connects2.com/Product/Produc...AMPPASSTHROUGH

CTAMPPASSTHROUGH

I can confirm it worked perfectly and resolved the issue for my car, so I hope this helps someone else. The volume levels were instantly good; it gets quiet at low volume, it gets loud at high volume, and the crackling/clipping has been eliminated. We fine tuned the PCCM settings a bit more to level the inputs, and brought the bass down a bit in the equalizer, and it sounds excellent now.
Super frustrating the the local Porsche dealer didn't seem to have any official information on what to do, and frustrated that it or an equivalent wasn't included with the kit in the first place. It would have made the install plug and play, like it should have been.

But that aside, I've been living with it for a few weeks now, and other than the sound issue that is now resolved, its been a treat. It works fine with my s22 via bluetooth, and plugged with android auto. I'm looking to try some wireless android auto adapters now.

The following 3 users liked this post by db984:
gnargusto (06-03-2022), Joey996 (06-15-2022), TexSquirrel (06-02-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 03:23 PM
db984
Track Day

Following up again, I've had the CTAMPASSTHROUGH installed for a couple weeks now, and its been problem free.

I also had the usb interface box installed in the glove box in anticipation of trying to get everything working with a wireless adapter.
I've ordered an AA Wireless adapter, and it took about a month to arrive.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...s/x/29258838#/

So far its been working perfectly with my S22 Ultra.

One detail -- I turned 'Standy' to 'off' in the PCCM+ settings so that it would stop powering the USB port immediately after turning the car off, so that it would "automatically" release the android auto wireless connection right away.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:45 PM
996clubsport
Banned

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

Great info added! Did you see anywhere how to add an external amp via rca cables?
Old 06-16-2022, 02:20 PM
db984
Track Day

I did see some talk about that on some of the threads, but I don't have anything i can link you too that definitely worked. A lot is going to depend on whether you have a MOST car (2003+) or not too.

lost27, on this thread, speculates on kind of doing a build your own CTAMPASSTHROUGH, and the parts he's using actually output RCA, and then get converted back to the OEM amp plug; but in principle you'd be able to just stop with the RCA.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...m-plus-12.html

Another option would be to take the line level outs from the CTAMPASSTHROUGH and convert them to RCA. That should be straightforward enough.

There was some discussion in that (long) thread linked above too, that line level outputs were available on the PCCM+ on another connector, but i was never clear if that was confirmed or not, or exactly how to get at them.
Lastly, they linked to some products like this: https://www.discountcarstereo.com/aih-conti.html I'm not sure if that's compatible or works with the unit or not; I'm just mentioning it because it seems to say the right sort of things.

Quick Reply: PCCM+