996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996-gen Porsche 911 Classic Club Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2022 | 08:19 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
He put a Gt3 motor on his blown car. Read the whole thread “another one bites the dust”. Porsche just did
the same in their 996 classic coupe Dejeeper beat them time wise. Based on by what Dejeeper did and the cost of the total gt3 with the engine, I think you get more performance at a better value going with a FSI engine rebuild.

Having done it i would dissagree at every level. I am still selling parts but i will be many thousands under a fsi built with a motor designed for what i am doing from the factory. Yes there is about 150hrs of labor in the swap but for me it doesnt really count as additional cost.

For the back seat qestion the foam in the carpet section is different and compensates dor the bump. Since its the same as the turbo car u can get the carpet from a dismantler or just order the gt3 carpet from the dealer.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1251322-another-one-bites-the-dust.html
The following 5 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
Billup (07-05-2022), Porschetech3 (07-03-2022), Ratchet1025 (07-03-2022), wdb (07-03-2022), zbomb (07-03-2022)
Old 07-03-2022 | 09:23 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default You have to calculate the value of your time.

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Having done it i would dissagree at every level. I am still selling parts but i will be many thousands under a fsi built with a motor designed for what i am doing from the factory. Yes there is about 150hrs of labor in the swap but for me it doesnt really count as additional cost.

For the back seat qestion the foam in the carpet section is different and compensates dor the bump. Since its the same as the turbo car u can get the carpet from a dismantler or just order the gt3 carpet from the dealer.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-the-dust.html
man you are a hell of a wrench. But I think we would have to see the numbers to really evaluate this. Time is a real limited resource and worst of all no one knows how much time they have left. In your case maybe there were some other things that you may have wanted to do with your time. I don’t know exactly what is the total power of your car as it sits now, and I would definitely will like to know how much you have in it, and definitely some value needs to be assigned to your time. I tell you this my $57k turbo last Saturday smoked an 07 gt3 on two runs of a bit more than a quarter mile , I was shifting at 6,000 rpms, not even redline. I even had my ac on. My brother has a 15 gt3 and my goal is going to be to make my car faster than his in a reliable way at a fraction of the cost. Headers and exhaust are going on next, the previous owner gave them to me. also FSI is not the only place that can do a good rebuilds on these engines, we can probably all agree that FSI is probably the premier or most expensive way. The price or cost of something is always debatable, this year I replaced my upstairs ac unit with a 3 ton seer one. I contacted 12 companies and negotiated with the top 3. Highest estimate $9000, I got it done for $4300 lifetime ac compressor warranty, 10 year parts and three years labor. I have offered to pay cash but in the end finished using my fidelity rewards card that puts 2 percent back into one of my iras. I dismantled the old unit as they took it out removed the aluminum flashing from the evaporator coil, cleaned up the coils, separated all the wiring, cutting away the inside copper tubing, sold all at recycling another $217 that came back my way (similar to you selling your other gt3 parts). Yesterday at cars and coffee I spoke with two shop owners about the cost of pinning the coolant lines in the turbo if they haven’t been done. Guess what both shops good one half the price of the other. I’m retired so I do whatever I want with my time. Thursday I opened a new checking account in 90 days they’ll give me $300, in sixty days I will close the account, and play the game again.
Old 07-03-2022 | 09:35 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Keeping cost out of it and the debate over rebuilt M96 vs GT3 engine, I would gladly take both engines.

DeJeeper and PCA show us a GT3 swap is doable. I think what DeJeeper did as a private owner versus Porsche factory resources, and as fast as he did it provides an impressive option to those that want to go this route. We now know that there are alot of GT3 engines sitting on the shelf in Germany for purchase.

FSI, LN and other companies show us what can be done with an M96 rebuild with a long list of multiple rebuild choices.

Sure wish PCA NA would have pushed the Porsche Factory to use the M96 on this car with factory engineered enhancements to solve the issues we have all been solving. But this is what happens when you have a group of decision makers that may or may not be M96 996 owners. Easy to choose the GT3 engine. Don't fault them. In fact i love what they produced, but just a little disappointed that we didn't see what Porsche would have enhanced with the M96 engine.

Last edited by GC996; 07-03-2022 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
redlineblue (07-05-2022)
Old 07-03-2022 | 10:26 AM
zbomb
Race Car

After driving GT3ish - That motor feels different than an M96 and it does so from the turn of the key. It reminded me of how it felt to blip the throttle on a Ferrari V8, the character set it apart from from the M96 and does so by a mile.

If Porsche wanted to set out to build the best factory example of a road going 996, there was no other motor to choose in my opinion.
wdb (07-03-2022)
Old 07-03-2022 | 05:06 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

The price or cost of something is always debatable, this year I replaced my upstairs ac unit with a 3 ton seer one. I contacted 12 companies and negotiated with the top 3. Highest estimate $9000, I got it done for $4300 lifetime ac compressor warranty, 10 year parts and three years labor. I have offered to pay cash but in the end finished using my fidelity rewards card that puts 2 percent back into one of my iras. I dismantled the old unit as they took it out removed the aluminum flashing from the evaporator coil, cleaned up the coils, separated all the wiring, cutting away the inside copper tubing, sold all at recycling another $217 that came back my way (similar to you selling your other gt3 parts). Yesterday at cars and coffee I spoke with two shop owners about the cost of pinning the coolant lines in the turbo if they haven’t been done. Guess what both shops good one half the price of the other. I’m retired so I do whatever I want with my time. Thursday I opened a new checking account in 90 days they’ll give me $300, in sixty days I will close the account, and play the game again.

Man u can really get off topic . if i a gave a $hit about going fast in a straight line i would by a c7, demon or gt50. I guarentee Brad (hbdun) in his c2 and a handful of miata cars can beat your times by 10 sec in your turbo car on a road course.

If u want to put a value on it. Make it the average indy rate around here $100 at 150hrs so $15k. That is soup to nuts including the entire suspension, wiring, abs install. I also kept a about $2k worth of gt3 interior parts and $5k of suspension parts. I didnt just swap a motor....i made a gt3ish.

If u r paying someone to r&r&r (remove, rebuild' reinstall) the fsi or other higher end motor rebuilder u r looking at $30-35k

My car purchase price $5500 shipped as a roller, net should be $20k on my entire swap, $15k labor. A n/a mezger, priceless. So under $40k all in at this point for me for a true 95% copy of a $110k gt3.

U can keep all the intake air leaks, low rpm, extra weight, peaky throttle, and added expence of a turbo. Nothing sings like 8k out the tailpipe. Although a really do enjoy the fat a$$ of a tt.

Its just so hard to explain how different a gt3 car is because there were only 1100 shipped to north america and so few have driven them. I really think the 3.4/3.6 platform is good and worth owning. Its just that the mezger is the motor porsche should have put in al their c2/c4 cars. There one off Club car shows they know they made a mistake .
The following 5 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
Billup (07-05-2022), Fracture (07-03-2022), Owain (07-04-2022), Porschetech3 (07-05-2022), wdb (07-03-2022)
Old 07-04-2022 | 05:20 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default I don’t track my cars

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Man u can really get off topic . if i a gave a $hit about going fast in a straight line i would by a c7, demon or gt50. I guarentee Brad (hbdun) in his c2 and a handful of miata cars can beat your times by 10 sec in your turbo car on a road course.

If u want to put a value on it. Make it the average indy rate around here $100 at 150hrs so $15k. That is soup to nuts including the entire suspension, wiring, abs install. I also kept a about $2k worth of gt3 interior parts and $5k of suspension parts. I didnt just swap a motor....i made a gt3ish.

If u r paying someone to r&r&r (remove, rebuild' reinstall) the fsi or other higher end motor rebuilder u r looking at $30-35k

My car purchase price $5500 shipped as a roller, net should be $20k on my entire swap, $15k labor. A n/a mezger, priceless. So under $40k all in at this point for me for a true 95% copy of a $110k gt3.

U can keep all the intake air leaks, low rpm, extra weight, peaky throttle, and added expence of a turbo. Nothing sings like 8k out the tailpipe. Although a really do enjoy the fat a$$ of a tt.

Its just so hard to explain how different a gt3 car is because there were only 1100 shipped to north america and so few have driven them. I really think the 3.4/3.6 platform is good and worth owning. Its just that the mezger is the motor porsche should have put in al their c2/c4 cars. There one off Club car shows they know they made a mistake .
I never driven an early gt3 car., only a 15 my brothers. And yes close to redline they sign. There were 8 gt3 cars last Saturday at cars and coffee and all of them sounded amazing. I don’t track my cars because I already did that with my HPA twin turbo r32 many years ago. Yes a lot of people that constantly track their cars with lesser cars would beat me in a track, that takes skills and practice practice practice. I do like going fast in a straight line with my two p cars. Hell I was going 110 mph when this happened on my F150 yesterday, I was able to save it. No offense Dejeeper. Everyone happy 4th of July, happy 246 birthday America , our founding fathers would have never guess we would have such a forum as this.

30,000 mile michellin LTx 275/50/20

In the ferry going over the water.

Cool thing about this vacation is the whole family is here including soon to be 19 year old chihuahua rat terrier.

Dinner at Fins last night. Nice view.
Old 07-04-2022 | 12:50 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

No offense Dejeeper. Everyone happy 4th of July, happy 246 birthday America , our founding fathers would have never guess we would have such a forum as this.
Im never offended .

Enjoy the bbq. Im at the track .
Old 07-05-2022 | 02:01 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

30,000 mile michellin LTx
No TPMS on that F150?? or was it disabled .....
Old 07-05-2022 | 06:58 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Yes tpms

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
No TPMS on that F150?? or was it disabled .....
yes it has TPMS, yes they were working. Saturday I fill her up with fuel and got my tires properly inflated. As a mater of fact now every time I get in it it shows the display warning in the dash showing 0 air pressure on the passenger side rear tire. Road was real good other that asphalt being extremely hot. I get them rotated every oil change and in between changes I take it to discount tire to rotate them again. On my last rotation 4,000 miles ago thread depth was 8/32 all around. In my opinion this was a fluke. These tires properly maintained can last 80,000 miles. Anyway nobody got hurt, we had a cooler full of refreshments and Ford roadside assistance only took 40 minutes to come in , in the middle of nowhere in a Texas country road on the third of July, I was pretty impressed by that.

Last edited by 3/98 911 coupe; 07-05-2022 at 07:50 AM.
EVOMMM (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022 | 02:16 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sm
Thread resurrection. Does anyone know how they were able to install the Gt3 motor into the 996 chassis and retain functional rear seats? I read the Gt3 motor has an oil tank that juts into the rear seat space?
It doesn't intrude the passenger compartment enough to nix the use of rear seats.
sm (07-07-2022)
Old 09-16-2022 | 09:56 AM
dsbl
Instructor

Saw the car in person at PCA headquarters, really cool, the car will ultimately be auctioned (not raffled) to a PCA member after going on tour. The ducktail is the OEM 997 part, which they had to shave down a bit to fit and also had to custom fab the piece between the ducktail and rear windshield. Amber side markers were a specific decision to match with the amber bulbs in the front lights, but they did then choose to go with the updated litronics/brake lights with no amber. They just put up a video discussing a lot of the choices made during the process, as well as getting it up on a lift.

The following 2 users liked this post by dsbl:
jumpy chunky (09-17-2022), wdb (09-19-2022)

Quick Reply: 996-gen Porsche 911 Classic Club Coupe