Sponsored by:

wdb's forever targa

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 09:32 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Suspensión

Not sure if you have decided on that yet. Ohlins are good but pricey. My car has hr springs with konis and it really handles like a go cart. I may soften the ride a bit by going with a 285/35, I’m currently running 285/30 on the back. Awesome thread, keep it up.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:09 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
Not sure if you have decided on that yet. Ohlins are good but pricey. My car has hr springs with konis and it really handles like a go cart. I may soften the ride a bit by going with a 285/35, I’m currently running 285/30 on the back. Awesome thread, keep it up.
Thanks for the compliment. I placed an order for a RoW M030 kit; springs, shocks, sways. I imagine I'll catch some grief for that decision but after discussions with those who've had it I think it is right for me.

headlight surgery is currently underway. more soon.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:59 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
Thanks for the compliment. I placed an order for a RoW M030 kit; springs, shocks, sways. I imagine I'll catch some grief for that decision but after discussions with those who've had it I think it is right for me.

headlight surgery is currently underway. more soon.
I don't get it. There was no advantage to going M030. None.
The following users liked this post:
Fracture (04-15-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 01:25 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by barbancourt
I don't get it. There was no advantage to going M030. None.
Advantages -- maybe not I guess? I list the following benefits, perhaps you would not consider any of them to be advantages:
  • replaces 100K mile components
  • eliminates soft, floaty qualities of stock US suspension
  • improves handling qualities without huge penalty in ride quality
  • genuine Porsche = chosen by Porsche engineers
  • no guesswork in trying to match springs/shocks/coilover selections
  • works correctly right out of the box - no setup or adjustment needed
  • should last longer than my time with the car
ed750duc (04-18-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 01:39 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
Advantages -- maybe not I guess? I list the following benefits, perhaps you would not consider any of them to be advantages:
I don't think Barban meant there is no advantage over a 20 year old worn suspension. I think he meant no advantage over coilovers, which for the most part I would have to agree with. You already made this decision and I don't think any suspension refresh with quality parts is a bad idea and am not trying to give you flack for making the decision you felt was best, but M030 has a decently harsh ride, certainly harsher at the performance level than a comparable coilover. For reference my car was factory equipped with the M030 sport suspension and the PO replaced the B8s with Koni Special Actives, and even with the Koni Special Actives the car is quite harsh on bad roads, and the PO said the switch to Konis made a huge difference.

I hope the M030 gives you what you are looking for and I will keep watching for progress!

Last edited by Type65; 03-02-2022 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:11 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
I guess I’m just annoyed, because I live with coilovers every day and it’s great. All this stuff you’re saying is irrelevant, but you believe it to be true for some odd reason.

Ride quality? My car rides very smoothly and compliantly and handles great.

Genuine Porsche? Not an advantage.

Guesswork on springs? You don’t have to think about spring matching on any of the popular options. Just use what comes with it.

Works correctly out of the box? My coilovers worked correctly out of the box after alignment and ride height setting by the alignment shop… and you will have to get an alignment regardless. You will pay slightly more for them to adjust ride height and balanced, but that is a one time small expense.
Type65 (03-02-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 06:06 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Headlights are done, sorta. They work but the lenses are crazed and the wiring inside is a patchwork. I'm on the hunt for some kind of refreshment for them. I had the car out last night to be sure nothing was going to fall off in the first few miles; all was well except for them being wildly misaimed. I adjusted them this morning and will go for another run tonight to gauge how I did.

I'll do a fuller writeup on the RetrofitKit install later.

I also unearthed the Z4MC today from its long winter slumber. The targa had been distracting me from it for the last 7 months to be honest. We had a nice long gentle romp through the little roads that abound out here. I had been thinking maybe I'd sell it, after all the targa has the same power and makes nice noises too plus it's a targa. But after today's drive I'm back in love again.

Not a pic I took today! But I like it.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:38 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

I decided to post the headlight retrofit story in the thread dedicated to that topic. Find it here.

Next up: replacing the targa sunshade. And now that the weather is improving, maybe even driving the darned thing.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:52 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Ex Jake Raby 4.0 FSI Targa

Saw this targa today at the concourse de elegance show. Anyway long story short the guy bought the car in November from Jake has a 4.0, that apparently Jake was building for his wife. Yes that’s my 18 going to be 19 year old chihuahua rat terrier.

Brothers next to each other.

I would put a 4.0 sticker on it, the engine has like 2,000 miles.

Awesome 😎 cool show.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3/98 911 coupe:
EVOMMM (05-12-2022), wdb (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 09:21 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

I don’t grok why you coupe folks aren’t screaming at Porsche to hinge the rear glass. I mean, really. Targa = perfect.

Thanks for sharing. I need to get to some meets soon.
Old 03-05-2022, 10:06 PM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
One more update: I visited the shop that will be pulling the engine for the Flat Six refresh. Nice shop, family run, long history.
Such a great shop!
They’ve done all the work on my 996.
Starting with the IMS Solution pre-qualification to making sure all maintenance is up to date.

wdb (03-06-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 11:05 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

Lights are looking good! I am glad things are coming along.

The Z4 is looker too!

Originally Posted by wdb
I don’t grok why you coupe folks aren’t screaming at Porsche to hinge the rear glass. I mean, really. Targa = perfect.

Thanks for sharing. I need to get to some meets soon.
It's funny you say that, I was just thinking about this the other day. The hinged rear glass really does add a lot of practicality/extra storage. You can fit a lot in the back of a coupe, but unless you remove a seat, good luck squeezing it between the seatback and door jamb.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:46 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Targa sunshade replacement complete! The original shade is utterly inadequate, which Porsche must have recognized pretty quickly because the replacement part is OEM Porsche. The new one looks like it will do a much better job of reducing solar heating of the interior in the summertime.

It's not a bad job, a bit fiddly, plenty of stops and starts; I could do it in probably half the time if I did it again.

The pictures are taken from inside the car, looking up at the garage ceiling.

Before

After
Old 03-11-2022, 07:44 PM
keviha
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 33 Posts

Nicely done on the sunshade install! You're really knocking out the projects.
wdb (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 10:31 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wdb
Stirring the suspension pot a little more. I cancelled the RoW M030 kit order.

The kit was going to take an age to get from Suncoast, so I decided to see about alternative sources. Which got me chatting with Gert at Carnewal. Great fellow who spent a lot of time going back and forth with me and answering my questions. I settled on RoW M030 springs with Koni Active shocks (plus full refresh of the rest of the bits). Gert was of the opinion that RoW M030 would decrease ride quality more than I would find desirable. He has a ton of experience with these cars plus he'd happily sell me any setup I chose, so I decided to go with his recommendation. Saved me a tidy sum also.

So, still not coilovers. Sorry folks.

Quick Reply: wdb's forever targa