Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Considering '04 996 - Is this a Contender or Keep Looking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 03:42 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel987
I bet that engine had a cracked valve seat, which is why they only did a top end and main and rod bearings on the bottom end.
If is was just cracked seat, why split the case at all?
Old 02-01-2022, 03:44 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,533 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by watchknut
Nothing will help...I'm digging to deep to see how I can persuade her. She is worried about resale value of the color because one of my buddies mentioned it. I'm trying to explain to her that this decision isn't about resale value...she's not having it
What she is basically telling you is that she doesn't want you in a "boy" car color. My wife told me the same thing 20 years ago when I got mine. So I went with seal grey. No difference in performance between colors. You can always get a very brightly colored fire suit to snazz it up a bit.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:43 PM
Joel987
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
If is was just cracked seat, why split the case at all?
While the engine is out and the heads are off why not change the rod and main bearings? It's still way less cost than sending the block out for new liners. Of course I am just guessing here, but I'd imagine Vision looked at the lower end and didn't see the need to do more than what they did.

I love that yellow egg yolk color. But, I can't get out my head an episode of Wheeler Dealers when Mike looked at a yellow convertible something. He commented how he hated yellow and thought bees would follow him.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:05 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Steer clear of the silver ones cause they are the most prone to blow up.
boooo.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:32 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel987
While the engine is out and the heads are off why not change the rod and main bearings?
Given the low instance of failure versus the level of effort in splitting the case (not to mention the potential for error in reassembly) inspecting the rod and mains seems like a waste of energy and money.
Once the case is apart you may as well go the rest of the way and do Nickies and larger pistons. The additional cost will be darn near offset by an increase in the value of the car.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:55 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by watchknut
Nothing will help...I'm digging to deep to see how I can persuade her. She is worried about resale value of the color because one of my buddies mentioned it. I'm trying to explain to her that this decision isn't about resale value...she's not having it
I think there is fair enough evidence that a speed yellow 996 will have more resale value than the common color 996s, all other things being equal
Old 02-05-2022, 10:23 PM
watchknut
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

I ended up stopping by the local Porsche independent yesterday, and had a long conversation with them about the car.

Shared with them all that was shared here, and they were very high on the car pending a thorough PPI.

I worked on the wife and got her on my side…it was a challenge to say the least.

After speaking with the seller, we agreed on a price and he reinstalled the factory cats and airbox set up.

If all goes as planned, the PPI will be next Thursday, and baring anything major, I could have the car by next weekend.

I appreciate all of the insight and will keep you updated.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (02-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Considering '04 996 - Is this a Contender or Keep Looking?