Sponsored by:

Trackable Street Car Setup Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 04:05 PM
Jnelso
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
What are the requirements to run with the PCA? I haven't bothered with our local PCA, they're much more of a white wine and deviated stitching group.
Can't run with PCA, too much of hastle.
The following users liked this post:
EVOMMM (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 05:49 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnelso
Can't run with PCA, too much of hastle.

why? Too restrictive and u want to be in a different run group? I show up and i drive same as any other org i have done a de with. I find their events to be safe and a good value.

pca does require a third party inspect and a brake fluid flush, the rest is similar to all other groups. My local gas station does my insect for free because i buy a lot of fuel.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:55 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,277 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
why? Too restrictive and u want to be in a different run group? I show up and i drive same as any other org i have done a de with. I find their events to be safe and a good value.

pca does require a third party inspect and a brake fluid flush, the rest is similar to all other groups. My local gas station does my insect for free because i buy a lot of fuel.
I have never run with PCA - probably will not.

Tech - The inspection locations are not convenient for me - that and at least one of the "inspection" locations, I am very familiar with the caliber of work they put out, its garbage and if they tech a car and pass it, I would immediately be suspect. @De Jeeper are you saying they require the 3rd party shop to bleed the brakes ? That would be a no go, I wouldn't let you bleed my brakes before a track day, that's my safety and my work.

Run Group - I have heard that if you have never run with them you will start in the lowest group with an instructor - while I would welcome having an instructor in the car, I am not going to pay money to drive with people who are half my speed, I get plenty of that already.

Lastly, not to be a dick about it, read the racing forum - I am straight with hanging out with a lot of those guys. The PCA racing stuff looks like a complete **** show with people with WAY more money than brains piling up cars on the first laps of races, passing under yellow like it's going out of style... just not stuff that reflects well on the track side of the organization on the whole. Now, sure, everyone has issues, the PCA ones are clear to see over in the racing forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
Jnelso (02-19-2022), JohnCA58 (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 10:07 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,481 Likes on 2,009 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb

Tech - The inspection locations are not convenient for me - that and at least one of the "inspection" locations, I am very familiar with the caliber of work they put out, its garbage and if they tech a car and pass it, I would immediately be suspect. @De Jeeper are you saying they require the 3rd party shop to bleed the brakes ? That would be a no go, I wouldn't let you bleed my brakes before a track day, that's my safety and my work.

Run Group - I have heard that if you have never run with them you will start in the lowest group with an instructor - while I would welcome having an instructor in the car, I am not going to pay money to drive with people who are half my speed, I get plenty of that already.

Lastly, not to be a dick about it, read the racing forum - I am straight with hanging out with a lot of those guys. The PCA racing stuff looks like a complete **** show with people with WAY more money than brains piling up cars on the first laps of races, passing under yellow like it's going out of style... just not stuff that reflects well on the track side of the organization on the whole. Now, sure, everyone has issues, the PCA ones are clear to see over in the racing forum.
Sounds like you guys have a pretty crappy region in your neck of the woods for DE events. That's a bummer. We are pretty consistent here in the Midwest. Regions and events are solid and we'll run.

Tech is pretty easy and straightforward.. Bottom line is that PCA produces a tech inspection sheet that you can find on the national or regional websites that they want you to go thru in prep for the event. You can either have an Indy do it for you or you can do it. They really don't care who does it as long as it's done. When you arrive at the event, you will have to go thru the tech inspection station and the guys working it will go over your car, as they look at your sheet and make sure you don't have any leaks, brakes are good, wheels are torqued, etc. It's all about equipment safety.

Run groups are pretty straightforward as well. If you know the track and been on it, you tell them and choose what group you want to run in. If you are new to the track but an advanced driver, typically they will put someone in your car with you for the first session. This may mean that you go out in the green group which is a slow group, learn the line with the instructor, then they will set you loose in the white or even black group. Typically it runs green, yellow, white then black. There is logic to it. Many of us will run a slower group first if we are trying to dial something in and then participate in our black group session, which means we didn't loose any track time.

The key with any of the track programs, PCA or whatever is just talking to the decision makers on your background and intentions. I have found that at least in the Midwest with the PCA, they are a good group of guys that will work with you.

Last edited by GC996; 02-19-2022 at 11:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GC996:
85eurocarrera (02-20-2022), Ratchet1025 (02-19-2022), zbomb (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 11:25 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Zbomb, no the tech for is basically the same as any other tech form. They dont care who bleeds the brakes, just that it is done. If u wanted too u could fill out the form yourself and make up a shop name. The in person check is just a visual like all other groups u have run with. Also this is just hpde days and nothing like their apperent $hit show of spec race rule enforcement , its 2 completely different things.

I think with the correct communication u can be put into the correct group right away and i guarentee u would not pass 16 cars in 20 minutes like the advanced group at your track nights at thompson. There r some very fast people out there and the only pca group that i have run with is a pita about advancing groups has been Potomac. Most know this and avoid them if they dont like their methods.

They r not for everyone but their 2 and 3 day formats and resonable pricing, expecially when traveling 4-7 hrs to go to a new track is a good way to maximise track time. Frankly i dont mind the free coaching advice.
The following 3 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
85eurocarrera (02-20-2022), GC996 (02-20-2022), zbomb (02-19-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 12:01 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

FWIW, here is the 2022 tech inspection sheet for the pCA Chicago region. I suspect each of the region's look about the same.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
DE-TechSheet.pdf (265.6 KB, 33 views)
Ratchet1025 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 07:52 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb

Just to jump in, I have run with at least 4 different PCA groups (all have positives and negatives). As an example, Ohio Valley Region OVR puts on first class events. After a few weekends you can quickly understand the groups and the fast cars and drivers. It does take time to move up, but after doing this for a few years, I can see why. Fast and safe drivers move up quickly and appreciate the process.

Just my opinion, the benefit that you would appreciate the most is the level of driver quality. You will meet people running in IMSA, WRL, Spec Miata, Spec 944, NASA and the list goes on. As I progressed through the groups, I could see their skill and speed. THESE are the people you want to talk to and get advice from. Most of them are humble and also working on their skills. They are usually happy to have you ride along, right seat in your car or drive your car (up to you).

The tech inspection thing is a non issue for me. You could do all the work, bring in the form to any shop you know and get a quick look over (my shop does it for free and it takes 15 minutes). In 6 years, no PCA inspector has looked at my sheet.

Just my 2 cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ratchet1025:
GC996 (02-20-2022), zbomb (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 09:32 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 916 Posts

I think it’s more personnel and not regulations
im in nyc so I’ve driven in some of the ny nj conn area SOME members tend to be a donkeys co*k
or it has become an ascot session with instructors and drivers being too buddy buddy
Ratchet1025 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 10:26 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

PCA characters depend a lot on what type of events you participate in. Concourse crowds are different than the DE crowd, which is different than club racing crowd, which is different than coffee and pastries crowd. Sometimes there is overlap of participants such as between DE and club racing, many times not.

Participated in a lot of DEs with 3 different PCA regions over the years with Chicago, Milwaukee and Nord Stern. All top notch. While I have run into a few characters, most long-term Porsche owners are just good people. They care about their cars, want to talk about them and learn from others. It's a tight knit community. Just like anything in life, the more you are seen and volunteer, the more the PCA opens up to you.

From a DE vs club racing standpoint, they are two different animals. DE is point and pass. CR is pass where you can for position. There are rules, but the name of the game in racing is to pass and win. So the likelihood of an accident in every race is real. But with DE, it is substantially more sedate with point and pass. Accidents typically come from getting a few wheels on the wet grass.

I highly encourage everyone to go out to a local PCA DE with your region to observe. You will be pretty impressed with how they are run, and the difference in speed and skill of the run groups. Many of the guys in the fastest run groups aren't running big HP cars. Do the same with a local PCA club race. Yep lots of money thrown around, but a lot of fun to watch and talk with the drivers, Indy shops and attendees to look for ideas and solutions. In over 20 years, I can't think of a time that I have been shut down with a conversation at an event.

You would be surprised at both DE and CR events who attends and drives. From IMSA, WEC and LeMans drivers to Pikes Peak. What I have been told from some of these guys is that they know that the PCA events are consistent across the board and they know what they are going to get with cars and procedures.

The ascot, chardonnay and cheese folks in the Midwest seem to gravitate towards ownership of a certain type of Italian made car. Imho, that's where they should be.

Last edited by GC996; 02-20-2022 at 10:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
Jnelso (02-20-2022), Ratchet1025 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 05:13 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,587 Likes on 991 Posts

The Chicago PCA region has always been easy and no drama for me. I show up with my self-completed inspection sheet. The only thing they made me do is torque-spec every lug on my car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Murphy:
GC996 (02-20-2022), Ratchet1025 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 05:56 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
The Chicago PCA region has always been easy and no drama for me. I show up with my self-completed inspection sheet. The only thing they made me do is torque-spec every lug on my car.
Good idea, I might try that this year!
Old 05-10-2023, 05:31 PM
Rocco6
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a quick question on brake pads. I have completed the buildup of my 2001 996 , now installing track pads, Hawk blue. The front pads I am removing have round "pins" at the top corners, which are not on the Hawk pads. what are these for? do mI need to remove from old pads and install. they don't seem to to touch anything.
I have competed in two autocrosses late last year as a test. Also did a trackcross, we started with a small autocross course the onto Thompson after the oval track and down the mainstraight. Car was a joy to drive and won the class at the trackcross!
planning on track event starting in mid May. All info provided was a great help in prepping the car.
thank you all!
Old 05-10-2023, 08:46 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,041 Posts

Those weights on the stock pads are vibration dampers to limit squealing. At least that is what I think you are talking about.

And, if the Thompson you are describing is the one in Connecticut I will be there tomorrow the 11th with some other 996 guys running a TniA event.
dxrohanx (05-11-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 10:02 PM
Rocco6
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes now it makes sense, thanks for the info. Yes Thompson in CT, but I wont be there until next Saturday.
Old 05-11-2023, 07:51 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

I would keep an eye on those pads. Change them when the get to 50% and think about moving to a dt60. I know u want to drive it on the street too and the dt60s dust and squeal some but no fade when stopping from 130mph is worth it. Also did u flush the fluid with castrol srf or similar?

Also june 11 ill be at thompson with a bunch of 996 guys with mass tuning if u want to hang and drive another event.

Last edited by De Jeeper; 05-11-2023 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Trackable Street Car Setup Recomendations