New Oil Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 08:53 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
Default New Oil Analysis

Hi All:
I just received my first oil analysis on my 2003 911 4S. I have put about 1200 miles on her since I closed on the deal. Runs fine, starts immediately. No ticking. No smoke. So when I closed at the dealer they changed the oil right before closing and found no particles in the oil. They opened the filter and found no particles. They even sent me a video. So the oil change was about 700 miles previously. With about 1200 miles on her now I have added about 1/2 quart of oil. It was said by the dealer that there was no record of any previous major mechanical work, like an IMSB. As you can see, the anomaly in the oil analysis was iron, which looks high.

She is scheduled week after next for IMSB, RMS,clutch, pressure plate, and other odds and ends at the local dealer.

So, how do you suggest I should think about the iron number?
Rick
Attached Images
File Type: pdf

Last edited by Lady Silver; 12-30-2021 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:08 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
Hi All:
I just received my first oil analysis on my 2003 911 4S. I have put about 1200 miles on her since I closed on the deal. Runs fine, starts immediately. No ticking. No smoke. So when I closed at the dealer they changed the oil right before closing and found no particles in the oil. They opened the filter and found no particles. They even sent me a video. So the oil change was about 700 miles previously. With about 1200 miles on her now I have added about 1/2 quart of oil. It was said by the dealer that there was no record of any previous major mechanical work, like an IMSB. As you can see, the anomaly in the oil analysis was iron, which looks high.

She is scheduled week after next for IMSB, RMS,clutch, pressure plate, and other odds and ends at the local dealer.

So, how do you suggest I should think about the iron number?
Rick
whatever it is If the lab numbers are correct this is a 30 motor oil not a 40, there is no fuel dilution. Antiwear package not strong enough (your zinc phosphorus). I wouldn’t put that oil In Our engines. I wouldn’t be concerned about iron. If you are going to use oil analysis, 1 pick a good oil, and stick with it 2.
we need to monitor the trend. A single data point is not that useful.I’m a retired tribologist.

Last edited by 3/98 911 coupe; 12-30-2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:03 PM
z driver 88t
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

Mobil 1 0W-40 sometimes tests a little low on the viscosity (see my test from October 2019). I've attached my current UOA log. You'll see my two most recent UOAs have been from Motul 5W-40. (I won a $500 Motul gift certificate, so I bought a bunch of oil from them in 2020). But there are four UOAs from Mobil 1 0W40, and the car ran Mobil 1 for most of its life for the first 128K miles. Your iron is very slightly higher than mine, but certainly within the realm of "normal" although your UOA indicates only 700 miles on the oil. Its certainly something to keep an eye on with subsequent UOAs.

Mobil 1 0W-40 gets beat up pretty badly on Rennlist, but honestly my UOAs have always looked good, I've never added more than a quart between oil changes every 5-6K miles, and I'm at over 144K miles now - due for my next oil change in February. YMMV.
Attached Images

Last edited by z driver 88t; 01-04-2022 at 03:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lady Silver (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 05:16 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by z driver 88t
Mobil 1 0W-40 sometimes tests a little low on the viscosity (see my test from October 2019). I've attached my current UOA log. You'll see my two most recent UOAs have been from Motul 5W-40. (I won a $500 Motul gift certificate, so I bought a bunch of oil from them in 2020). But there are four UOAs from Mobil 1 0W40, and the car ran Mobil 1 for most of its life for the first 128K miles. Your iron is very slightly higher than mine, but certainly within the realm of "normal" although your UOA indicates only 700 miles on the oil. Its certainly something to keep an eye on with subsequent UOAs.

Mobil 1 0W-40 gets beat up pretty badly on Rennlist, but honestly my UOAs have always looked good, I've never added more than a quart between oil changes every 5-6K miles, and I'm at over 144K miles now - due for my next oil change in February. YMMV.
The consensus seems to be that that data set that I have represents the first under my ownership and we need more data to understand if anything is out of the ordinary. I had no control over the oil changed out, and really don't conclusively know what oil was used to fill her afterward. So we will be doing another oil change next week and from there we will have some reliable data.
Thanks for weighing in.
Rick
Old 01-04-2022, 06:12 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Happy to put Mobil 1 on my car.

Originally Posted by z driver 88t

I’m a retired tribologist and used to formulate motor oils. Anyway I’m happy to put Mobil 1 0W40, 42 out of 43 services on my car fax at the Porsche dealership. I’m fixing to due my third oil change, no issues and it is real easily available at an attractive price/filter bundle. Yes the viscosity is low, but at the same time my engine is loose and
produces more power. Helped my Friend pick his 95 993 trip coupe today, he bought it on (stole your trailer), Pretty car is missing a pedal. As always coal fired pizza and Hazy IPAs for lunch, Had to go to Pinthouse brewery in my way out of Austin, can’t get this beer at home.

95 trip 993.

Coal fired pizza for lunch.

Juicy ipa.

Triple juicy hazy IPa. Want it or not all my Porsche adventures involve beer.

My belated Christmas list, I want a crawler of each IPA.

Last edited by 3/98 911 coupe; 01-04-2022 at 06:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lady Silver (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 09:08 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
I’m a retired tribologist and used to formulate motor oils. Anyway I’m happy to put Mobil 1 0W40, 42 out of 43 services on my car fax at the Porsche dealership. I’m fixing to due my third oil change, no issues and it is real easily available at an attractive price/filter bundle. Yes the viscosity is low, but at the same time my engine is loose and
produces more power. Helped my Friend pick his 95 993 trip coupe today, he bought it on (stole your trailer), Pretty car is missing a pedal. As always coal fired pizza and Hazy IPAs for lunch, Had to go to Pinthouse brewery in my way out of Austin, can’t get this beer at home.

95 trip 993.

Coal fired pizza for lunch.

Juicy ipa.

Triple juicy hazy IPa. Want it or not all my Porsche adventures involve beer.

My belated Christmas list, I want a crawler of each IPA.
If you're ever in the San Antonio area, ping me and we'll go do lunch!
Old 01-05-2022, 06:35 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
If you're ever in the San Antonio area, ping me and we'll go do lunch!
if you are ever in the Houston area, please reach out. I’m pretty flexible because I’m retired. I live right of 10 and 99.

Quick Reply: New Oil Analysis