Sponsored by:

Engine is out, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 09:21 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Engine is out, now what?

Happy Holidays everyone! I finally got the engine out of my 996 and now need to prep it for rebuild. This is my story.

https://youtu.be/N9UO4GKRrvk
The following 4 users liked this post by Yogibara:
islaTurbine (12-12-2021), P9C (12-13-2021), plpete84 (12-14-2021), TexSquirrel (12-14-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 07:12 AM
P9C
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Excellent - I'll be following the same path when I get my new lift - I'll politely curse this current situation with component delays as getting that Nussbaum is delayed until who knows.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:19 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Yogi, good video. Even though I don't have the mechanical skills to do what you are doing, there is something about separating the trans from the engine and getting a good view of the clutch, flywheel, RMS and IMS. I got a great Porsche shop that I have used forever that will walk me through every part if I ask, and I do. Good to see first hand what you got.

You the man.
The following users liked this post:
Yogibara (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 07:26 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GC996
Yogi, good video. Even though I don't have the mechanical skills to do what you are doing, there is something about separating the trans from the engine and getting a good view of the clutch, flywheel, RMS and IMS. I got a great Porsche shop that I have used forever that will walk me through every part if I ask, and I do. Good to see first hand what you got.

You the man.
Appreciate the vote of confidence. Although I’ve worked on cars my entire adult life, this is only the second engine I’ve ever disassembled. Hopefully this engine will ALSO be second one I put back together! 😂
Stay tuned!
Old 12-13-2021, 10:42 PM
Carlo D
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Looking forward to the tear down. Will be referencing your videos I am sure for this future endeavor.
Yogibara (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 12:16 AM
Ninewonwon
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Now send the block to Raby....
Old 12-14-2021, 10:33 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,724 Likes on 883 Posts

I don't think he want a 2-3 year gap in videos for the project, if the job gets even accepted to start with.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:29 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,284 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Ninewonwon
Now send the block to Raby....
The only blocks we work with are those that we are building complete engines for. Send the block to LN should have been the recommendation. I'm guessing this one will end up with steel sleeves, though.

I'm glad that Yogi realized that there's only one product with the name "IMS Solution" and it wasn't invented by EPS.

To address the passive aggressive comment about timelines:
Yep, it takes time to create what we create. It isn't about clocks, or calendars, and I refuse to hire "newbie" engine builders here just to do more work. My newest engine builder has been with the company for 17 years in just a couple of weeks. The line will only get longer, it will never get shorter because I decided to make more money, or do more volume. Yes, I do select who I work with, because we can't do it all. I don't do this to be an elitist, I do this because the amount of people who want what we create outnumber what can be created without a loss of quality. I do have one employee who will soon join the ranks as a builder after 8 years of training. This is "The Flat 6 Difference".
While we have extensive backlogs, we always deliver on time, or early- even when facing pandemics, and supply shortages.
The following 3 users liked this post by Flat6 Innovations:
davidpg (12-14-2021), dporto (12-15-2021), wildbilly32 (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 12:44 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,724 Likes on 883 Posts

Not sure what's passive aggressive there. Just facts. You've mentioned many a times that you're booked through 2022 and not taking on more jobs for 2023, unless that's changed. Also, not everyone makes the cut after going through the pre-purchase "gauntlet" and the preference seems to be to have the entire car delivered with the engine, not just the block. The seasoned builder is the same person that takes the motor apart and then turns on the ignition for the first time - no? I'm rather not sure why you think steel sleeves will be going in. The engine just came out so I'm looking forward to what Yogi finds once things start coming apart. Could be that the bores are just fine and no sleeves of any kind are needed. The guy creates interesting and entertaining content so having a long gap is not preferred in this situation. Is FSI a great option - of course! Is it great for every situation - nope.
Yogibara (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 01:04 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,284 Likes on 901 Posts

Not sure what's passive aggressive there. Just facts. You've mentioned many a times that you're booked through 2022 and not taking on more jobs for 2023, unless that's changed.
To clarify:
2022 was booked for months, and we opened M9X sales up for Q1 of 2023 only after we received our component allocations from manufacturers. This was in early November 2021. I held a Webinar for those on the wait list that resulted in 20+ requests for a welcome package, of those I accepted 16 and booked Q1 2023 completion slots in less than 4 hours. The rest of the slots were given to Aircooled, 9A1 and turbo builds where we can find parts with better abundance.
I have now been building the wait list for Q2 2023 M9X completions, and will have the webinar for Q2 on January 20, 2022 which will be 4 hours. We will have our component allocations, and costs NLT than 10 January, so we will know exactly how many engines can be built of each designation with the components that we will have in hand more than 1 year early for these builds. Unlike others we have been overly prepared for Covid 19 impacts and swooped into motion to ensure we'd have parts months before a project was to begin. This is how we have worked through shortages without delays in proposed completion times.
So, more M9X slots will be available in 2023, but we are only selling one quarter at a time. More of the "other" engines are being taken on than normal, so we don't stress the M9X parts supply to a point of breakage for the rest of the industry. Since I have supplied/ developed components, and done test work/ training for every parts distributor in N America we can acquire parts that others cannot. Things that we can't get state side I am filling into vehicles that I buy abroad, and having those legally imported inside the vehicles, as part of the bill of lading. No one else can do that.. Ever bought a car that you didn't even want, just so you could stay on schedule with a project you were committed to? I've bought 6 this years so far to use as shipping containers, since shipping containers don;lt exist, and I ship the vehicles via a RoRo ship without a container.

​​​​​​​ Also, not everyone makes the cut after going through the pre-purchase "gauntlet"
Nope, and that can be because we can't be assured that we will have the components in hand for their particular engine, or because they have other issues that I don't like. The biggest today is a massive engine failure, where core components don't exist, or an engine that has been molested by someone else, leaving a huge question mark about what is inside of it. I don't like question marks, I prefer absolute business.

​​​​​​​and the preference seems to be to have the entire car delivered with the engine, not just the block.
Yes, we only build 12 engines per year where we do not collect the vehicle. These are the "Premier" program, where our lost local Certified Installer handles the R&R of the engine. We have not raised our labor costs, so we find more people sending us the vehicle, because we can perform the R&R/ dyno and etc for less money than a local shop that has raised their prices.

​​​​​​​The seasoned builder is the same person that takes the motor apart and then turns on the ignition for the first time - no?
Yes, the same hands carry out the entire process, right down to machine work. It is an individual effort once I assign a builder more than 1 year in advance of completion. My people know exactly what they are doing for 12-15 months in advance.

​​​​​​​ I'm rather not sure why you think steel sleeves will be going in. The engine just came out so I'm looking forward to what Yogi finds once things start coming apart. Could be that the bores are just fine and no sleeves of any kind are needed. The guy creates interesting and entertaining content so having a long gap is not preferred in this situation.
I guess we'll see. I would expect that if a bore gauge is used these cylinders will be found to be exceptionally out of road at mid- bore if measured in differed axes, and that should take them out of service even if the bores are not scored. That will be his call.

​​​​​​​Is FSI a great option - of course! Is it great for every situation - nope.
Nope, I would be perfectly happy if my engine was only fitted to 1% of the M9X family of vehicles that were built. That would keep us booked for a couple more decades at this point, and I won't last that long anyway.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:53 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

I’m down to the case now. While I scoped the bores from the sump earlier this year, getting to them was a challenge so my visibility was limited. I’ll have a definitive answer once I crack it open.

It is of my opinion that an IMS solution is better than no IMS solution at all. While I personally would have gone with different brand, I’m grateful to have something. Depending on the condition, I might just keep it and save my $$ for the next Porsche project.
Yosso.22 (01-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Engine is out, now what?