996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Car Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 08:32 AM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 170 Posts

I know there are folks on here with far more experience then I have. But I'll add my 2 cents and say that oil changes, while very important, aren't the only thing to look at. As I have learned during my (recent) first Porsche purchase, just because the oil has been changed a lot (and documented at the dealer), that doesn't negate the deterioration of other things that happen with time on these cars. There are many other things that should be looked at and, if needed, addressed, at regular maintenance intervals. Fresh motor oil is great, but not if everything else has beed neglected and on the ragged edge of failure.

Again, #1 car looks great, but it would be a smart move to have it looked at (by someone with no dog in the hunt) before you buy. Just sayin.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:19 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 800 Likes on 510 Posts

I would put little to no value on a "dealer inspection". Did/will the dealer show you the inspection sheet? If they do you will see what I mean.

"2. 2004 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, very few service records, but has gone mechanical inspection at dealer. 70K miles. Better shape interior than car 1, but car 1 is good. Priced at 38K, but think I could get maybe 2K off due to IMS not being done."
Old 11-07-2021, 09:33 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
I would put little to no value on a "dealer inspection". Did/will the dealer show you the inspection sheet? If they do you will see what I mean.
+1

Get the bores scoped. IMS, AOS, water pump are all easily replaceable, service records will tell you what has been done, but at the end of the day, how the bores look will determine how soon you will need a rebuild, which is the biggest cost of all.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:47 PM
elwoodcg
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Car # 1 but have it checked out independently. What else was done on it. I just paid $6k for IMS, RMS, clutch w/o flywheel, AOS, water pump, expansion tank and a coupe small things.

Is it an LN Engineering IMS bearing? Look up the VIN on their website so you can verify the warranty. Last thing you want is to find out that it wasn’t properly pre-qualified. It seems like a decent deal but it’s a little odd that someone just put $9k into it just before selling. Make sure you get it checked out thoroughly (bore scope).

How’s the suspension? Any maintenance or upgrade history?

Quick Reply: Car Comparison