996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Soap Bubble sprayers are Evil...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 02:45 AM
mozhacker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soap Bubble sprayers are Evil...

Full detail job: $150
Joy at results: priceless
Agony of defeat: .02 cents worth of soap bubbles

Had my car in for a full detail - outstanding job. Enjoyed it all of 25 min while driving to grab lunch with a friend. Driving up Robertson Blvd near the Beverly Hills area and slowing to stop behind some cars at a light, there came the bane of any pristine clean car - soap bubble blower machine/man.

This time it was a machine and not some idiot standing on the corner blowing bubbles - but the damn thing must have been spraying on super high because a stream of like 20-30 bubbles hit my car while sitting there defenseless at the light. On windows, body, all over.

As I saw the bubbles coming, I had this insane urge to jump out of the car and start swatting madly at the bubbles, but I didn't think this would be, um..."understood" by those around me.

Fortunately, I had a cloth and quick detail spray in the trunk, so I pulled over and started repairing the little bubble burst marks, but it still sucked. The irony is I carry the cloth and spray in my Porsche precisely because I've been hit by bubbles in my other car which is jet black and shows the marks a lot worse. Death to soap bubble sprayers.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:59 AM
rbs996
Advanced

Only in LA

rb
Old 04-13-2004, 03:58 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you really like the look of those swirls and spider webs, keep using that quick detail and cloth.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:57 AM
mozhacker
Instructor

Been using quick detail spray (Meguiars) and cloth (softest microfiber polishing cloth I can find) for over 3 years on what is by common consensus the hardest to maintain paint without swirls - jet black on my M5.

No swirls, no spider webs, from either soap bubbles, insects, random idiots spitting on my car, bird crap, whatever.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:52 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Metal: What do you recommend then? I like to do a bit of detailing and participate on the autopia forum. Is there a better way of doing it? I always thought if you were using microfiber with a good spray and you blotted instead of rubbing, you'd be okay?
I've been pretty good at keep swirls down on past cars. unfortunately my new one (new to me anyway) came with a hole bunch and some micro marring. i was gonna break out the porter cable, but i think i'm going to let a pro do it the first time and get me off to a good start.
anyone know a good detailer in the Tampa, FL area?
Old 04-13-2004, 04:26 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car gets covered with dust after I drive it 2 miles, to then rub that dirt with a cloth no matter how fine the fibers seems like a bad idea to me. Though blotting sounds ok, I use that method to dry sometimes. I recommend only using the tried and trusted methods: rinse with lots of water for as long as possible before even touching the paint with a cloth, sponge or mit, and use as much soapy water as the "sponge" can hold. If it's dirty I just leave it until I can clean it properly, unless it's bird****.

I'm actually doing an experiment with washing my car, and discovered that the application of wax actually creates quite a few minor swirls which are hidden when buffed. Also a waxed car when washed car appear to have swirls...
Old 04-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

That happens in LA. In NY you get some moron that throws his windsheild fluid on full blast for 30 seconds when you are behind them leaving really nice marks all over your car. I've never had this happen to me until my first Porsche so I'm sure they are doing it on purpose... ********.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:09 PM
mozhacker
Instructor

To clarify then, I never use quick detail spray and cloth if the car gets dirty - only when it just got washed and is absolutely clean and something happens immediately afterwards, like this soap bubble situation.

We have the window shield sprayers in LA too. I hate the ones that never get their nozzles fixed when the spray starts to go right over their roof.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:50 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

First, a dumb question - what's a "soap bubble sprayer"? (I get the idea, but what the hell are they there for?)

Second, I have been very lightly dusting my car with a "California duster" (only when its pretty clean and well waxed, before the dust has a chance to start sticking). Is this a bad idea? With Arctic Silver its hard to see swirls or scratches, so if I'm doing any damage I haven't noticed it yet.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:36 AM
mozhacker
Instructor

I've been using a California duster the same three years on my jet black M5 with your same conditions of use - only when relatively clean and light dust. No swirls or scratches yet.

Three kinds of soap bubble sprayers - first is idiot human kind, species Biggus Gigantus. These morons are equipped with what looks like a god damned butterfly net without the net. They often stand on street corners or on the sidewalk of a fairly narrow street and wave the stick with hoop back and forth and create gigantic bubbles, 4-5 feet in diameter is not uncommon. These huge bubbles float across the street and burst with a huge wet splash against whatever they hit.

Second kind of bubble sprayer is same idiot human above but Little Swarmus, armed with a little hand held sprayer that has a small fan behind the hoop which is drenched in soap solution. Small bubbles, but a damn lot of them.

Third is a machine, setup to automatically spray out bubbles. Often seen mounted in the front of an open faced shop. No human interaction, somebody just turns it on and this box just spits out bubbles constantly.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:00 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

All those bubbles are news to me - guess I'm sheltered from it downtown (not that there are not other loonies down here). But my 2 year old daughter might like the Biggus Gigantus. I think I need to avoid Robertson?

Got my PSE today. Need to race you through the Sepulveda LAX tunnel and make some noise!
Old 04-14-2004, 04:07 AM
mozhacker
Instructor

ah, my favorite tunnel. I drive through there all the time just to hear the PSE roar.

Quick Reply: Soap Bubble sprayers are Evil...