Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil temp management on track. How do I know its too high???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 11:51 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,497 Likes on 2,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Vect
Hi there, so as a general rule of thumb if I maintain 245 water, am I fine ? also I have seen on LN's site two OIL AOS bypas kits, are these the ones you were mentioning ? Thanks! https://lnengineering.com/products/b...anger-kit.html https://lnengineering.com/products/b...-m97-only.html
Vect,

LN Engineering is working on an oil cooling kit for the 996. It's been tricky because there is not sufficient room for an additional oil cooler in the engine compartment, so they are working through location, size and cooling capacity. I am very confident they will have one, but it's tough to pinpoint a date.

So what I have done in the meantime is the following.

1. I am still running only 2 radiators with a low temp thermostat. While I have all of the 3rd radiator attachments less radiator, I am not putting on a third radiator until LN rolls out their oil cooling kit. Don't yet know where the oil cooler will fit, so no sense in spending $500 on a 3rd radiator until we have more info.

2. I am putting on the UAOS w/track drainback this week to replace my porsche motorsports aos which just failed. The UAOS will allow us to run an extra quart of oil which will help in oil starvation and oil cooling over a 20-25 minute session. Add in the extra 2 quarts of oil from a deep sump, and I should be ok with cooling for the 20-25 min. After that, temps begin to rise quickly.

3. Once the oil cooler is ready, and the UIDS is ready with the next round of manufacturing, I will be adding both and the oil and cooling system will be complete. In the meantime you maximize and mitigate where you can. Can't wait!

Regarding temps, take a look at a few of the previous posts. In 14 years of DEing my car, the water temp light only came on once at the end of a DE session, at Road America, and I got offline, got off the throttle and exited the track. The light went off before I got off the track. At the time I was running 2 extra quarts of oil and 2 OEM radiators. It was an extremely hot summer day. Don't know if the water temp light flashes at 240, 245 or another number, but you really want to do everything you can with what cooling to prevent it from flashing. Someone will see this and know the number.

So any additional cooling thru more oil capacity, low temp thermostat, extra radiator, oil cooling kit, getting off the track early at 20-25 min, is good. Which is easy enough to do with DE.

​​​Track Awareness Is Important: if you are in the situation where your water temp gauge flashes there is no need to panic, get offline and then off the throttle. But the key is to move your car offline before you get off the throttle or you will have a bigger problem with another car parked in your back seat. As you become more experienced and get faster, you will graduate to faster run-groups. The faster the run-group, the more you will see faster cars pushing the slower cars in front of them to pass. Hence the importance of track awareness and moving offline and out of the way before you get off throttle.
The following users liked this post:
Vect (04-14-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 12:38 PM
dsbl
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

One mod which is pretty cheap and cheerful is to add a switch to the high speed radiator fan relays, fans still operate with the normal automatic control but you can activate high speed whenever you want. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I think low speed is engaged whenever the AC is on or coolant > ~97C, and high speed when coolant > ~102C, so turning on high speed when you're closer to 80C should help keep the coolant and oil temps lower for longer.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (04-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Oil temp management on track. How do I know its too high???