Sponsored by:

Cam Solonoid P1530

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 01:11 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,106 Posts

Originally Posted by kbatl
Update. Replaced solenoid but still had code. Bought Durametric and deviations were 4 on bank 1 and 0 on bank 2. No immediate change in rpm when solenoid 1 activated but eventually starts to run just a little rough. Activating solenoid 2 and engine dies. Reving engine deviations for bank 1 go to 25+ and slowly come down at idle (took about 2 min). So appears bank 1 actuator is sticking. Tried LiquiMoly engine flush to try to loosen/dislodge but no help. Took it all apart again and pulled cams and actuator. Plunger was very stiff and when I pulled it out it had green o-ring material ripped. So waiting on new actuator, cam plugs and loctite 5900 to come in and hopefully have it put together end of next week. Guides are all new from rebuild last year. Pulled oil pan too to check for anything but it was all clear. I have LN IMS Solution so I haven’t cut open metal oil filter yet to check it.
Yep, the old green o-ring failure !! If anyone sees this green rubber in your oil filter, just know you are fixing to have a vario-cam actuator failure...

It's a real shame these are not rebuildable, a 20cent o-ring failure will cost a grand $$$$ to fix. Bad Engineering..
Old 12-23-2021, 06:01 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 714 Likes on 445 Posts

And it's almost always bank 1...
I have not seen a bank 2 actuator failure. They work in opposite directions so maybe that is why.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:00 PM
Godspeed !
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Out of curiosity, in the photo showing green o ring debris, an o ring groove is visible. I have not had the opportunity to see an actual actuator, so I ask, is there another "inaccessible" o ring groove that makes this deemed un repairable?

Godspeed!
Dave
Old 12-23-2021, 08:11 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,106 Posts

Originally Posted by Godspeed !
Out of curiosity, in the photo showing green o ring debris, an o ring groove is visible. I have not had the opportunity to see an actual actuator, so I ask, is there another "inaccessible" o ring groove that makes this deemed un repairable?

Godspeed!
Dave
Dave, yes, that o-ring doesn't go on the grove you see in the pic, it much further down inside the actuator and is inaccessible due to manufacturing techniques ie. friction welding and staking/brading..
Old 12-24-2021, 07:24 AM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 223 Posts

kbatl, such a shame you need to replace the actuator but thanks very much for the update as it completes what to look for when oneself experiences the symptoms you've described.
Have you checked whether the removed solenoid still works (using a 9V battery)?
Old 01-03-2022, 09:39 PM
kbatl
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Update, and hopefully final one. Got it all back together after replacing the bank 1 actuator. No codes, runs great and durametric actuates both cam actuators now. Shows bank 1 deviation of “4” and bank 2 of “0”. Was expecting zero on both sides since all chain pads are new on both sides.

Debating on keeping it as next project is GT3 LCA’s and other suspension bits to get more camber. Outside of tires getting chewed up at track. Goldcrest dialed in as much camber as they could while keeping toe in spec. Thinking of selling and moving to something more track ready.

Yes, the original solenoid worked (I think I tossed it though). Since the new actuator came with a already installed solenoid, I’ll try to sell the one that was used for 200 miles.

thanks for input.

Kevin
The following 3 users liked this post by kbatl:
hardtailer (01-16-2022), hkovalcik (01-03-2022), Mike Murphy (01-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Cam Solonoid P1530