Sponsored by:

Valentine One Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valentine One Install Help

I've noticed through searching the site for Valentine installs, that some of you have been able to flatten the clip used for the visor mount and insert it between the windshield and the headliner. I have tried it on my GT3 and it doesn't seem to want to slide in; I don't want to force it. Any advice?

Anyone know of another way to mount the Valentine using the headliner and windshield? Any other locations that you would recommend?

Thanks,
Philip
Old 04-02-2004, 02:45 PM
silver996
Instructor

use the suction cups, it's the cleanest way to go, and won't inhibit use of the visor...
Old 04-02-2004, 02:56 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

...And it's pretty easy to run the wire around the headliner to the fuse box. There is also an excellent ground screw there. If you need some details, send me an email with contact info.

Dave
dmosesson@adelphia.net
Old 04-02-2004, 03:36 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Dave, can you post the instructions ? I would be veru interested in performing the hard wire install myself.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine is hardwired, and installed using the visor clip slid between the headliner support and roof. You need to compress the clip or it will be too loose.

The headliner support if fastened to the roof with clips every few inches. If you grab it and give it a good tug downward you'll disengage a few clips which makes it easier to insert the compressed V1 visor clip. Then snap the headliner clips back.

I also put about 1/2" of felt between the V1 top and headliner, which gave it more stability, and also made it level.

Pic from drivers seat:

A view of the clip-- you can also see the felt:

From the passenger seat--the unit is forward enough so the visor will fold down, but not fully forward:

From the outside, you can hardly notice it's there--no suction cup marks on the windshield:

Here's the concealed display on top of the steering wheel housing:
Old 04-02-2004, 05:01 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was just looking at Poursha's pictures and realize that my Cab is totally different that the Coupe. I have a rubber molding that runs across the top of the windshield and down the A-pillars. It was very easy to tuck the flat V1 wire inside this molding. I don't know how easy it is to run the wire inside the headliner. (Poursha?? ) The only other things that I had to do was to loosen the certer map lights - snap out the two plastic ovals and you will find torx screws. Once they are removed you can pull the map lights out of the way to run the wires. On the A pillar side I had to loosen the screws on the side of the dash to get the wires inside the A-pillar. At the fuse box, pull off the cover. Inside are 4 screws. When they are removed, you will be able to remove the carpeted panel that surrounds the fusebox. Just left of the fusebox is a ground wire and screw attached to the frame. The perfect location to attach the ground wire of the V1. I attached the power wire directly to a fuse that is only activated when the ignition is switched on. The concealed display is easy to fish through the opening above the steering wheel - See Poursha's picture above.

Hope this helps.
Dave
Old 04-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

Poursha, what exactly do you mean by "compress" the clip. I compressed it as best I could, but the detector still slides around (all over the place).
Old 04-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Philip in AL
Poursha, what exactly do you mean by "compress" the clip. I compressed it as best I could, but the detector still slides around (all over the place).
The clip is difficult to compress, since it's made from metal that has a lot of spring to it. If you take the curved portion and insert it in a vice and slowly compress it, then check for fit, and compress more if necessary, that should work. It took a few tries with mine. If you compress it too much, it could snap, so go a little at a time.

Also--the felt I put between the top of the V1 and the headliner made a huge difference.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:08 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

I still can't see the Fuse/Electrical hookup ?
Old 04-03-2004, 12:28 AM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

RJMDAD996 - I assume that you have the hard wire kit that came with your V1.

This is what I did on my '02 C4 Cab. The fuse box is on the left footwell-driver's side. It is the same place that has the switch to raise/lower the rear spoiler. Pull off the fusebox cover and you will see 4 screws that look like they are holding on the fusebox. They are actually holding in place the carpet panel that surrounds the fusebox. Undo the screws and take off the carpeted panel. Just to the left is a wire attached to a screw which is attached to the chassis. This is where the ground wire should be attached.

Then find a fuse which is only activated with the ignition. Pull out the fuse, attached the power wire to it, and re-insert. Remember that the V1 unit is protected as it has its own in-line fuse.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 04-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Philip in AL
Pro

But how on earth do I remove the drivers side A pillar trim, in order to run the wire beneath it?
Old 04-03-2004, 12:30 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's how the wire was routed on my car (Carrera coupe). I had it hardwired at a car audio shop and watched--it took about an hour. I didn't want the A pillar trim panel (or any other) removed since I didn't want to risk introducing squeaks or rattles.

Tap into a switched power supply and ground at the fuse panel (after removing the carpet piece surrounding the fuse panel).

Pull off the drivers door weatherstrip from the bottom corner near the fuse panel to the top corner where the A pillar meets the headliner, and tuck the wire between the weatherstrip and metal, along the outside. There's some sort of white goo between the weatherstrip and metal--be careful not to get it on your hands and smear it on your interior. 3M adhesive remover works well to remove it.

At the point where the A pillar meets the headliner support, you fish the wire between the A pillar trim and the roof, so now it's inside the car. This was the hardest part--tape the V1 wire to a stiff wire to fish the V1 power cord through.

Wedge wire between headliner support and roof. Easier if you disengage the clips that hold up the headliner, but not necessary.

Mine is installed just to the right of the rear view mirror, so you need to finesse the wire past the panel where the overhead lights are. You can wedge it in, or loosen it as described in the post above.

The you fish the wire for the concealed display to the position on the steering wheel housing.

Quick Reply: Valentine One Install Help