Sponsored by:

Revisiting the idea of using 996 as a daily

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 08:19 PM
koth442
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by the_shansen
It's very possible I'm overthinking things so I appreciate being talked off the ledge. I came to the $4K amount for clutch, IMS, RMS (maybe AOS) and flushing all fluids since both examples haven't had fluids flushed in 3+ years. Just trying to go in with eyes wide open.

I've been watching the F6I YouTube series on bore scoring (best/worst horror show I've seen in years) so I was going with a 6 month OCI as the expectation.
My RMS was changed at the same time, IIRC. The indy offered to do the AOS at the same time, it would have been an additional hour of labor + part cost I think. It had been done just a few years prior, so I skipped it. In hindsight, I probably should have replaced it for peace of mind. Getting the fluids flushed is also a good idea.

I don't *think* the oil change interval (within 1 year) would be related to the bore scoring issue, but I don't know that. I do know that most oil manufacturers encourage you to change the oil after 1 year regardless of mileage. Since they're the ones selling me the oil, I trust them to give me the minimum amount of time between changes while remaining market competitive.

Happy hunting!
Old 03-22-2021, 10:40 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

996.1 vs 996.2 was a tough call for me when I was looking. Personally I kept getting drawn to the '99s because it seems a lot of the car guys and 911 guys that really knew what they're talking about liked the '99s. I'd say get a 1998 build .1 or the newest .2 that you like, depending on your personal preference. My personal feeling is that in 10-20 years, the '99s will be more sought after than the other years when looking at normal C2 models. The C4S and millennium editions will be even more sought after. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking at it like an investment but it doesn't hurt to hedge your bets.

The Boxsters cost just as much to maintain (apples to apples). The parts and labor are both just as expensive as the 911 and they are prone to the same problems with the generation being the same. However, from what I could tell, they will depreciate down to 4K for a still running car while the 911s will hold their value much better. That's how I justified a 911 over a Boxster.

When I was browsing the forums, I came to the conclusion that the average maintenance expense per year was around $4K. Some years might be $2 and some might be $7,000 but that was the average.

Oil change every year isn't optimal but it's what the factory recommended. I walked away from a car because he changed the oil every 10K miles which for him could have been 5 years. He was not happy and accused me of wanting to buy a premium car at a bargain basement price. Then again, I wasn't the guy who bought it for $80K, let it sit in the garage and sold it for $25K.

Most of all, buy the generation and color you like! I loved the greys, arena reds and blues. I didn't want black or silver. Guards red was too flashy for me. I'm really happy I ended up with a slate grey model.
The following users liked this post:
the_shansen (03-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Revisiting the idea of using 996 as a daily